website statistics

Fencing 2018 Discussion Thread

Gianlu33

10 minuti fa, Agger ha scritto:

From what I see (2016 on wiki and the 2020 draft http://static.fie.org/uploads/18/92132-10.Tokyo 2020 - Qualification System - Fencing - ang.pdf) it's just the AOR spot for the Americas (compared to weapons with team events in 2016). They had 11 individual spots in 2016 and now 10 per weapon

you're right...

I just had another (older) fie document with some different allocations...

this last draft sheet is actually pretty the same of Rio, with only the second american AOR place missing...

and it's better than my previous one, I think...

still, to me there are too few places for fencing...they should go at least up to 48 spots per weapon (with 12 teams), but I guess they will never do anything like that...

Just now, phelps said:

you're right...

this last draft sheet is actually pretty the same of Rio, with only the second american AOR place missing...

still, to me there are too few places for fencing...they should go at least up to 48 spots per weapon (with 12 teams), but I guess they will never do anything like that...

Though I know that it would be a controversial idea, I would say either that or make the team events into doubles events.

Adesso, Agger ha scritto:

Though I know that it would be a controversial idea, I would say either that or make the team events into doubles events.

no, never...I'm totally against any change of format for team events...

if they can't have this format for team events, I'd rather take them away from the Olympic program (to save them as they are now at least in the remaining competitions like world cup, continental champs and world champs)...

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, never...I'm totally against any change of format for team events...

if they can't have this format for team events, I'd rather take them away from the Olympic program (to save them as they are now at least in the remaining competitions like world cup, continental champs and world champs)...

Taking them out is absolutely another possibility. Personally I'm sceptical towards 2/3 of the quotas being decided by the team events, but pretty much every single extra individual spot is positive.

There are too many sports/too few days of competition/ too few venues for the actual Olympics, choose which one fits better with your vision. Fencing is not the main problem in my opinion, just think to baseball/softball recently added: 6 (SIX!!!) teams tournaments! When men's football is given 16 and it is an U23 competition, while other team sports qualify 12 teams with 3 group matches that are generally useless. 

The whole Olympic Games format needs revision, with possibly another week of competition (in my opinion) and spanning at least team sports in multiple cities, in order to dilute the cost of making a huge olympic village, that usually is then considered as a weight for the host city. 

In contrast to Agger, I like team events, especially mixed: they're useful for making a competition between "schools" of sport rather than individuals, and I think IOC should invest in them. In addition, that would be a way to exploit more the venues built for the Games. As I already reported in other posts, track cycling requires a velodrome that is generally used for less than a week and results in 14 medals, if I'm not wrong: according to me, this is a waste.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

you're right...

I think we Fencing fans can't complain now with all six team events finally held together and honestly, which other sport has that. Imagine a team event for every discipline in Shooting. :d

With 6 events out of 12 being team events, 8 teams per event are fair enough. At least that will make the race to Tokyo interesting in this sport.

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

9 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

There are too many sports/too few days of competition/ too few venues for the actual Olympics, choose which one fits better with your vision. Fencing is not the main problem in my opinion, just think to baseball/softball recently added: 6 (SIX!!!) teams tournaments! When men's football is given 16 and it is an U23 competition, while other team sports qualify 12 teams with 3 group matches that are generally useless. 

The whole Olympic Games format needs revision, with possibly another week of competition (in my opinion) and spanning at least team sports in multiple cities, in order to dilute the cost of making a huge olympic village, that usually is then considered as a weight for the host city. 

In contrast to Agger, I like team events, especially mixed: they're useful for making a competition between "schools" of sport rather than individuals, and I think IOC should invest in them. In addition, that would be a way to exploit more the venues built for the Games. As I already reported in other posts, track cycling requires a velodrome that is generally used for less than a week and results in 14 medals, if I'm not wrong: according to me, this is a waste.

I don't mind team events at all (I've been among the more positive towards some of those additions that were discussed for Tokyo (though I was very negative towards some, especially when they mean erasing good individual events)). I really enjoy the fencing team events and many others. What I don't enjoy is that they mean that it's so damn tough to qualify as an individual when you don't have 2 more great fencers. Especially as a European you can be an amazing fencer and not get into the Olympics because there are so few individual quotas.

10 ore fa, Agger ha scritto:

I don't mind team events at all (I've been among the more positive towards some of those additions that were discussed for Tokyo (though I was very negative towards some, especially when they mean erasing good individual events)). I really enjoy the fencing team events and many others. What I don't enjoy is that they mean that it's so damn tough to qualify as an individual when you don't have 2 more great fencers. Especially as a European you can be an amazing fencer and not get into the Olympics because there are so few individual quotas.

This is a good point and probably is due to the fact that some sports, and fencing is probably the best example, olympic competition are smaller than a typical world cup round. However I agree with your latest thought

I'm trying to construct a list of qualified nations to the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games. For fencing there was a qualification tournament in :PUR San Juan from April 30th - May 7th 2017. I've found a results page, but it does not include the results of the men's team sabre and women's team foil events. The events occurred as I know the medalists (VEN, COL, MEX for men and VEN, CUB, MEX for women). Does anyone have a results database that may include those results?

12 ore fa, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

I'm trying to construct a list of qualified nations to the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games. For fencing there was a qualification tournament in :PUR San Juan from April 30th - May 7th 2017. I've found a results page, but it does not include the results of the men's team sabre and women's team foil events. The events occurred as I know the medalists (VEN, COL, MEX for men and VEN, CUB, MEX for women). Does anyone have a results database that may include those results?

if you can't find those results on infoesgrima, you won't find them anywhere else...

unfortunately, not even FIE itself are keeping track of those regional events (for them, it looks that the only American competition are the Pan-Am Games and the Pan-Am Champs, no other event is recorded on their results page)...

last night I tried to find out something about those Puerto Rico tournament, but I could only find news about the single Countries' performance in their local news, nothing more than that...even the Puertorican Fencing facebook page does have many photos and comments, but no results summary nor a shot at the table draw (with results) as they usually do during the world cup events round by round...

I also tried by changing the parameters in the url of the existing results, but nothing came out of that (just a Venezuelan blog page with the same things of infoesgrima, without the last 2 team events)...:dunno:

Edited by phelps