website statistics

Athletics 2018 Discussion Thread

bestmen

5 minutes ago, Jur said:

Yes, it's totally a TV show thing, not a proper athletics event.

There are so many ways to make athletics young and exciting, but deffo this isn't one of them.

I think you could definitively package field events a lot better in particular. Having some made for TV events in more intimate settings than a giant athletic stadium without other stuff going around at the same time would certainly help with the TV packaging of things like the long jump, the high jump or the shot put.

I'm also not particularly opposed to getting rid of the track 10000m and replacing it with a 10km road race and to also include the half marathon in all major games (without getting rid of the marathon, obviously). If you want a gimmicky event that actually makes sense why not have a 4x10.549km (quarter Marathon) road race relay?

You can work at making athletics more TV friendly (which I do believe is needed) without turning it into a farce.

Edited by NearPup

Il y a 11 heures , Nate River a déclaré:

I think you could definitively package field events a lot better in particular. Having some made for TV events in more intimate settings than a giant athletic stadium without other stuff going around at the same time would certainly help with the TV packaging of things like the long jump, the high jump or the shot put.

I'm also not particularly opposed to getting rid of the track 10000m and replacing it with a 10km road race and to also include the half marathon in all major games (without getting rid of the marathon, obviously). If you want a gimmicky event that actually makes sense why not have a 4x10.549km (quarter Marathon) road race relay?

You can work at making athletics more TV friendly (which I do believe is needed) without turning it into a farce.

Ultimately, they are condemned anyway . No one is building them outside of the Olympics (and Marocco for some reason), and some of the most iconic ones are in jeopardy (Baudouin Stadium in Brussels, Stade de France track post 2024...).

They will have to work with smaller designated stadium, city events and temporarry infrastructures built inside regular rectangular stadiums (as it was allready talked by Coe).

Athletics as we have know it is likely gone.

Il y a 12 heures , Nate River a déclaré:

There is already a kind of "marathon" relay, the Ekiden

Am 20.1.2018 um 12:01 schrieb Dragon:

It takes months for the IAAF to ratify any world record.

Ok, then i misunderstood you, when you said that he had to drive to Atlanta because otherwise the record wouldnt have counted. We still dont know whether it counts or not, so we cant say at the moment whether its a new world record or not.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Ok, then i misunderstood you, when you said that he had to drive to Atlanta because otherwise the record wouldnt have counted. We still dont know whether it counts or not, so we cant say at the moment whether its a new world record or not.

If he hadn't taken a drug test it would automatically failed to have been ratified as a world record.

But the journey might have a complete waste anyway as it seems the event did not have an electronic starting system which complies to IAAF regulations,