website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

heywoodu

Well fought by Viktor. Hoped that Stefan was a bit stronger and possibly ready to counter when they were caught, but it was too late to be possible. 
But a very fine Olympic debut and I do have high hopes for the next years. Should be possible to qualify for individual distances and maybe with Philip Due or one of the other young guys, we could have a team pursuit fighting for the Olympics.

40 minutes ago, phelps said:

fu*k! this one hurts!

a bunch of idiots...they are just a bunch of idiots...

Bettrone useless, Lollo...well, how the hell did she think to make all those sprints in the semifinals, which left her without legs in the final sprint??? :wall::wall::wall::facepalm:

moreover, why not try all season (all career, better) long to improve on the classic middle distance races, so to have a better and more efficient engine also in this kind of races???

really, I don't understand the Italian team...they always say they care so much about those mass starts...but they don't do enough to be effective in them...:wall:

and now comes Giovannini...another one who messed up all the Olympics with an indecent shape...

why should we trust him justy today?

really awful end of Games for us...

Who is a bunch of idiots? Hey this is olympic mass start , did you really think that Lollo was allowed to go away and nobody would have followed her like in World cup, with USA, Japan and Netherlands with 2 great athletes in final.She did her best and she did a very good race; Bettrone simply didn' t have the legs, she is a long sprinter, 2 mass start in 1 hour are too much for her, and then what she would have done? look at Manganello that destroyed herself for Bergsma, but if you don' t have the legs....We are speaking about a 4th place in Olympics, oh well 7th, but it doesn' t change my thought about the very good race she did, she was one of the favourite, not the biggest favourite as you can read around the web.

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

Pretty sure that Kramer just worked for Verweij.

He said they had two plans. The first one was actually for him to attack and go for it, "if Swings hesitated for 2-3 more seconds, I'd have been gone", after that the plan was to sort of launch Verweij into the sprint. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

A very great 4th place for Saskia :EST:clap: She said her plan was to collect as many points as possible, she knew she doesn't have the speed to outskate all those strong finishers. For some countries this "pretty much I am going for 4th place" tactic would be questionable move but for an Estonian athlete to get a 4th place at the Olympics is a huge result, especially since our best result in Sochi was 24th and here before her race 16th. Reading the comments in our media, everyone is really happy and proud of her. Today is also Estonia's 100th birthday, so it is an awesome gift from her :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

:SUI:EST:DEN:BLR have all achieved their best ever speed skating results... One would suggest that ISU intentionally put those sprints for the interested parties (those who may be seeking funding).

Ants Antson won gold in 1500m in 1964 Innsbruck. Unfortunately it was under USSR. But he was an Estonian and this is what matters the most. And it took 54 years to finally have an Estonian participating in speed skating at the Olympics again.

1 minute ago, Herki said:

Ants Antson won gold in 1500m in 1964 Innsbruck. Unfortunately it was under USSR. But he was an Estonian and this is what matters the most. And it took 54 years to finally have an Estonian participating in speed skating at the Olympics again.

Oh right, I forgot to check the Soviet Union. Still it's the best result for independent Estonia (bettering 15th place from 1928).

Also made a mistake with Belarus, who of course has that silver from 1994.

#banbestmen