website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

heywoodu

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I doubt that they will win women's 500 m, women's team pursuit should also be difficult and let's see about mass start.

I agree, on the women's side, the remaining 4 events are actually a bit more open.

1. :JPN is the favorite on the team pursuit as they train a lot together, whereas the Dutch girls don't train together.
  2. I would be surprised with any Dutch medal on the mass start. Schouten, our main contender, has not been in good shape recently on the long track. She does a little better in marathons.
  3. The 5k is a bit more open. Esmee Visser will make her debut and impressed me a lot this year and unexpectedly won the 3.000m at the European Championships, but the Dutch women have never been very dominant in this distance.
  4. Women's 500m: no chance for gold, Jorien ter Mors is nothing more than an outsider for the bronze, but I would be surprised with any medal in this event, especially with Sang-Hwa Lee and Nao Kodaira taking part. And Jorien ter Mors won the 1.000m based on her last lap, not on her opening or first lap, as many women were faster than her after 600m.

On the men's side there are favorites on every distance. However, our main contender on the mass start is Koen Verweij and we all saw how he 'failed' on the 1.500m yesterday. Sven Kramer will be the other contender, but he will only take part to help Koen Verweij as much as possible and does not see it as one of his main events, unlike the 5.000m, 10.000m and team pursuit.

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't even count Ter Mors out completely in this insane shape (and if Kodaira and to a lesser extent Lee have a bad day of course). But yeah, it's highly unlikely. In the team pursuit I'd say the Netherlands might not be the favourite, but they're certainly a lot closer to Japan than one would have expected a week ago. 

...Anice Das is going to win just to **** with our heads.

43 minutes ago, dcro said:

@Dragon Is it possible to find out how many athletes have won 3 Olympic gold medals in their first 3 Olympic competitions?

Jorien ter Mors never failed to win in her speed skating Olympic career...

I'm working on it...

1 hour ago, dcro said:

@Dragon Is it possible to find out how many athletes have won 3 Olympic gold medals in their first 3 Olympic competitions?

Jorien ter Mors never failed to win in her speed skating Olympic career...

without any research, I can give you 2 male names...Yevgeny Grishin, URS (500m + 1500m at the 1956 and 1960 Winter Games -at that time there weren't the 1000m- and he didn't race in any 5000m+ race) and, of course, Eric Heiden, USA (he won all 5 the Olympic races he started, all at the Lake Palcid 1980 Winter Games)...

among the women, I'd say also Lidya Skoblikova, URS (she competed between 1960 and 1964)...but I'm not sure if she won all the races she started (I know she won 6 Olympic Gold medals in total)...:mumble:

Edited by phelps

vor 8 Stunden schrieb thepharoah:

We will see , but some people said the same about women's 1000 and 1500 and Netherlands won at the end , I find it kind of interesting if they managed to do this , maybe it'll be the 1st time in history that a country totally dominates an Olympic sport provides more than 5 gold medals , maybe we will see Netherlands tops the medals table at the end 

I don't think that they can win the medal table. By total medals, they don't really have a chance to win 30 or more and i think Norway + maybe 2-3 other nations (Germany, Canada, USA) will do that. By gold, they might, i think the best case for them would be 12 golds here, but i think Germany (7 golds already + possible chances in women's skeleton, 3 x bob, luge team relay, alpine skiing giant slalom, biathlon women's relay, biathlon men's relay, biathlon mixed relay, nordic combined large hill, nordic combined team, ski jumping large hill, ski jumping team, snowboarding women's PGS) + maybe Norway can get there as well.

Women's 500 m: Before the games this was by far the least likely gold for the Netherlands and i think it still is, maybe 10% at best i would say.

Women's 5000 m: I think they will win gold there, don't know who

Women's team pursuit: Hard to say, probably about 50% for gold

Men's/Women's mass start: Impossible to say for me, don't understand it, don't care about it, don't know who the favorites are, but whenever i watched it, i thought that the outcome looks pretty "random".

Men's 500/1000 m: Without the russians, i expect the dutch to win 2 golds

Men's 10000 m: Safe gold

Men's team pursuit: I'd say their chance might even be better than on the women's side, but in the world cup they never take it seriously, so i don't know what they are capable of.

I think 4 golds should be safe + maybe 2 more.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

without any research, I can give you 2 male names...Yevgeny Grishin, URS (500m + 1500m at the 1956 and 1960 Winter Games -at that time there weren't the 1000m- and he didn't race in any 5000m+ race) and, of course, Eric Heiden, USA (he won all 5 the Olympic races he started, all at the Lake Palcid 1980 Winter Games)...

among the women, I'd say also Lidya Skoblikova, URS (she competed between 1960 and 1964)...but I'm not sure if she won all the races she started (I know she won 6 Olympic Gold medals in total)...:mumble:

So we fed the question through the database and came up with the surprising fact that ten Moors is the 176th time someone has won their first 3 events at the Olympics since 1896

Edited by Dragon