website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

heywoodu

8 hours ago, Nate River said:

The Netherlands is not going to be anywhere it's once in a generation 2014 performance.

Let's hope so. That would be really, really bad for the sport. 

If I'd have to say an event where a sweep is the most likely, I'd say it's definitely in the men's distances of course, maybe the 1000m. With no Kulizhnikov, and possibly Verbij, Verweij and Nuis on a good day, who knows. Not saying it's likely, just saying it's more likely in my opinion than on the other distances :p

And on the 500m there are easily 10-15 athletes who could take the gold (especially when it's a one run event), including all Dutch participants, so who knows. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

@heywoodu how the athletes for the mass start will be selected?

Koen Verweij and Irene Schouten have already been (more or less) selected, I'm not exactly sure how the 2nd place is going to be chosen but I think it'll come from the athletes who qualified in the individual events. Another reason for me to hope Bergsma won't qualify, because an Olympic mass start with Bergsma and someone from a different team than him (which Verweij is) is not gonna work. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I don't know why not. Especially Blokhuijsen has shown more than once to be a very, very capable world-class 5k skater. A lot of trouble in the past years, but he's back. And with a race like today, it'd be hard for anyone to beat De Vries (the question of course is whether he will repeat this performance, but hey, it's still better than Jorrit 'if I'm selected as a reserve for the team pursuit, I'd rather not go at all!!' Bergsma. Plus, the Netherlands not being a lock-in for 2-3 medals in the 5k increases the chances for a Peter Michael stunt :cheer:

or maybe a Tumulero/Giovannini "Fabris 2006-alike detonation"...:lol:

It would take more than a miracle...but you know...Santa was here just a couple of days ago...:rofl::p

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Koen Verweij and Irene Schouten have already been (more or less) selected, I'm not exactly sure how the 2nd place is going to be chosen but I think it'll come from the athletes who qualified in the individual events. Another reason for me to hope Bergsma won't qualify, because an Olympic mass start with Bergsma and someone from a different team than him (which Verweij is) is not gonna work. 

looking at the scheme for the girls, I'd say that Schouten is already locked in...she's at number 8 with 10 places up for grab, so...

Verweij, instead, it looks he has to earn his spot (in the Team Pursuit, too) in another race, since the Mass Start no.1 is only at number #11 in the scheme (which is probably going to be enough, but still he's not mathematically safe yet)...

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

looking at the scheme for the girls, I'd say that Schouten is already locked in...she's at number 8 with 10 places up for grab, so...

Verweij, instead, it looks he has to earn his spot (in the Team Pursuit, too) in another race, since the Mass Start no.1 is only at number #11 in the scheme (which is probably going to be enough, but still he's not mathematically safe yet)...

Correct, and the second places will be chosen after the OQT apparently. 

By the way, the team pursuit teams are as follows, in case they all qualify: Leenstra, De Jong, Wüst and Kramer, Verweij, Blokhuijsen. 

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Correct, and the second places will be chosen after the OQT apparently. 

By the way, the team pursuit teams are as follows, in case they all qualify: Leenstra, De Jong, Wüst and Kramer, Verweij, Blokhuijsen. 

Are they going to make Bergsma a reserve again? :p

Live stream:

https://nos.nl/livestream/2208774-okt-schaatsen-3-km-v-en-500-m-m.html

As the URL suggests, it's the women's 3k and men's 500m today. Didn't check the 500m draw yet, but I'm curious to see who will have the unfair advantage this time (due to it being only a one-race event). 

Edited by heywoodu

Women's 3000m:

1. Antoinette de Jong 4:02.07

2. Ireen Wüst 4:03.39

3. Carlijn Achtereekte 4:05.76

All three going to the Olympics.