website statistics

Brazil National Thread

Felipe

Acho que o que dá pra destacar mais nesse fim de semana é o título do Felipe Wu no tiro esportivo. Tão deixando arrente sonhá, hein.

Gideoni Monteiro também, apesar de ter ficado atrás no Omnium do Mundial. E as instalações do Rugby 7s sendo testadas em Deodoro, ainda sem as arquibancadas.

Comentei com o Felipe ontem, inclusive, que esse ouro do Wu na Copa do Mundo levou ele a outro patamar. O cara é muito novo, ainda mais para o tiro esportivo. E o esporte também é bem imprevisível, vai muito do dia.

Ou seja:

Spoiler

Ana Cláudia Lemos pega no antidoping, não divulgaram ainda a substância, será que é mais uma que rodou por usar meldonium? Se for grave, fudeu de vez a pouca esperança que tínhamos com o 4x100m feminino chegar longe na Olimpíada.

Eis o link: http://globoesporte.globo.com/atletismo/noticia/2016/03/recordista-dos-100m-e-200m-ana-claudia-lemos-falha-em-antidoping.html

Edited by Felipe

Nice thing about the Brazilian Paralympic cross-country skiers:

http://www.paralympic.org/news/brazilian-cross-country-skiers-work-towards-paralympics

(They don't mention it, but for example Bruna Moura was there to train a blind Chilean girl, which was pretty cool :) ) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 hours ago, Felipe said:

Ana Cláudia Lemos pega no antidoping, não divulgaram ainda a substância, será que é mais uma que rodou por usar meldonium? Se for grave, fudeu de vez a pouca esperança que tínhamos com o 4x100m feminino chegar longe na Olimpíada.

Eis o link: http://globoesporte.globo.com/atletismo/noticia/2016/03/recordista-dos-100m-e-200m-ana-claudia-lemos-falha-em-antidoping.html

Acho improvável que seja o meldonium, no atletismo brasileiro costuma ser mais furosemida e EPO. O Demétrio escreveu sobre uma relação interessante: link

No mais, parece uma pá de cal mesmo nessa geração que tinha tudo para fazer história, mas que teve mais marra e brigas internas do que resultados...

Edited by hukbrazil

• 2 weeks later...

For the Brazilian's over here, I've written a season review and next season preview for the biathletes (Bruna and Gabi mostly), so if you're interested, here it is :) (it turned out to be quite a long story, so I've placed it in a spoiler)

Spoiler

Time to look back at the season of the Brazilians and look forward at the off-season and the 2016/17 season :) 

Idre and a tough start
After a summer of preparation, including some good results (and a win) in Ushuaia, Argentina, the season really got underway with the IBU Cup in Idre. Both for Bruna Moura and Gabi Neres it turned out to be quite hard: heavy snowfall meant they had to compete in conditions which were completely new for them and were very unfavourable for people who aren't yet among the fastest skiers in the field. For Caio Moreira, Leandro Lutz and the two girls this resulted in the slowest skiing speeds of the fields and the two last places in both sprints.

Ridnaun...history!
Then came IBU Cup 2, Ridnaun. The program had a mixed relay in it and this meant Brazil fielded a relay team for the first time ever in biathlon history (and the 2nd South American team ever, after Argentina in Forni Avoltri 2007). Bruna started off with using two spare rounds in both shooting bouts and although the exchange happened in last place, handing over to best friend Gabi was, I quote, "an unforgettable moment". Gabi managed to perform very well and only needed one spare round, before handing over to Caio. His 0+1 and 0+2 was one of his best shooting results so far and it was Lutz who got the chance to reach one shooting bout before the race finished.

Fabrizio Bourguignon joined them for the sprint in Ridnaun and the veteran missed one shot to finish 135th out of 136 competitors. Caio's six misses brought him 131st place, 1.4 seconds ahead of Lutz' 5 misses. As for the women: Mirlene Picin stepped in and, having less tired legs because of her not doing the relay, was half a minute faster on the ski's than Bruna. The participation in Ridnaun of Henar Extebarria (Spain), Claudia Salcedo (Chile), Maria Dominguez (Argentina), Angela Banduri (Georgia) and Sara Lucic (Serbia) gave the Brazilians a good chance to finish ahead of some athletes and that worked out well. Picin finished 90th, Bruna 91st and Gabi 95th in a field of 100...progress!

Obertilliach...more history!
Next up was Obertilliach and, on a side note, my first taste of biathlon in real instead of on TV (see my report on the trip earlier in this thread). Despite a burning throat and a face that told "This pain is killing me", Bruna managed to shoot well (2+1+0+2) and finished in 87th of 91, one place ahead of Gabi. Day 2 arrived, the sprint, and boy, did Bruna perform! A magical clean shooting, only the 3rd time in history a Brazilian did so, and 88th place out of 100. The 244,46 IBU points were the best result by far and were welcomed with a hearty celebration. Gabi finished 98th because of four shooting errors, but her skiing speed showed a promising upwards trend. 

Junior Worlds
After Obertilliach the biathlon season for Bruna was over, but Gabi and Caio still had the junior worlds in Cheile Gradistei to compete. Caio didn't have the best week of his life in terms of performance and had the slowest skiing speed in both the individual and sprint, resulting in 102nd and 101st places respectively (out of 102). Gabi finished in last place in the individual with nine misses, but on the plus side, she did beat two girls in skiing speed. Four misses in the sprint and not the best skiing result meant last place instead of qualifying for the pursuit, but she'll definitely be back next year, one year stronger. 

End of season
Meanwhile over in Austria, Bruna competed in some cross-country races. The highlight of this was the Austrian championships in Saalfelden in which Teresa Stadtlober (two times top-10 in the Tour de Ski) competed as well. Looking at relative results, Bruna was closer to Stadtlober than she was compared to the top IBU Cup skiers, meaning her skiing speed kept on improving! The whole team was united after Cheile Gradistei and competed some cross-country races in Switzerland as well...although the very last race could not be reached: there was literally too much snow to go from their hotel to the track, ending their season as the next day would see the travel back home.

Comments
I haven't gotten word from Gabi yet (I'll try to get some comments soon), but Bruna looked back at the season with the following: "I believe I had a good season and I'm happy with my results, but I believe I can do it even better next season. If there's one thing I want to keep doing the same way, it is to be focussed on my shooting trainings. I want to shoot at least 80% next season, but apart from that I also want to shoot a bit faster. Also I'm happy with my skiing speed in the biathlon competitions. Maybe I wasn't the fastest, but I could feel improvement and that's what is important for me, because I know I can improve season after season. Compared with last (pre)-season, I know I need to change some things in my training plans, but I have already talked about it with my federation (CBDN) and I'm expecting they will change that for me. I believe if my training changes in the right way, I can improve a lot compared to the two seasons I have had so far." 

Off-season and looking forward to 2016/2017
As an example of why Bruna (and myself) believes she can improve a lot next season: gym trainings normally only happened in the relatively short times in Sweden, but starting this month, she will actually train at the gym in her hometown in Brazil almost daily, effectively doubling her training input compared to last (pre)-season. Depending on how some laws, licenses and documents work out, she could also very well receive her very own laser rifle soon. Obviously this isn't the perfect shooting training, but I think we can all agree that it's a huge improvement compared to absolutely no kind of shooting training at all (like previously when not in Europe).

Bruna's goals for the now finished season, set by CBDN (the federation), were to shoot 65% over the course of the IBU-season and get a result below 280 IBU points. She destroyed those goals, by shooting 78% during IBU Cups 1, 2 and 3, a percentage only Jaqueline Mourão could beat in her best days, but never for a full season. She got 244 IBU points in her best race, also way better than the goal. Next season I firmly believe she can reach the first "magical" line of 200 points, which would mean that she qualifies for the next trimester in the IBU Cup. 

Talking about next season: during the summer they will have a big training camp in Argentina (Ushuaia), after which the calendar shows a trip to Chile, where the national championships will be held in Portillo (and maybe the South American championships, although they won't have a lot of competition there from Argentinians and Chileans). We won't see the Brazilians in the first IBU Cup trimester. Beitostoelen - Ridnaun - Obertilliach would be too expensive of a combination (it's a shame the season doesn't open in Idre again) so instead, they will be in an IBU development camp in November and December, the location of which isn't known yet. 

Their IBU Cup season then starts in January with the competitions in Martell and Arber. Participating in the 3rd trimester depends on getting 200 IBU points or less in Martell or Arber, or, if they compete, at the Open European Championships in Poland in the end of January. There is a small possibility Bruna and Gabi will compete at the Universiade in Kazakhstan, which isn't sure yet, but would be awesome! 

All in all, next season is going to be an extremely important one in terms of possible Olympic qualifying or at least getting close to that kind of level. I have a lot of faith in seeing big improvements for the team and I very strongly believe they can break the 200 point-barrier and qualify for a 3rd trimester of IBU Cups, which would give them invaluable experience (and a fun trip to the Kontiolahti Wall!).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

For the Brazilian's over here, I've written a season review and next season preview for the biathletes (Bruna and Gabi mostly), so if you're interested, here it is :) (it turned out to be quite a long story, so I've placed it in a spoiler)

Hide contents

Time to look back at the season of the Brazilians and look forward at the off-season and the 2016/17 season :) 

Idre and a tough start
After a summer of preparation, including some good results (and a win) in Ushuaia, Argentina, the season really got underway with the IBU Cup in Idre. Both for Bruna Moura and Gabi Neres it turned out to be quite hard: heavy snowfall meant they had to compete in conditions which were completely new for them and were very unfavourable for people who aren't yet among the fastest skiers in the field. For Caio Moreira, Leandro Lutz and the two girls this resulted in the slowest skiing speeds of the fields and the two last places in both sprints.

Ridnaun...history!
Then came IBU Cup 2, Ridnaun. The program had a mixed relay in it and this meant Brazil fielded a relay team for the first time ever in biathlon history (and the 2nd South American team ever, after Argentina in Forni Avoltri 2007). Bruna started off with using two spare rounds in both shooting bouts and although the exchange happened in last place, handing over to best friend Gabi was, I quote, "an unforgettable moment". Gabi managed to perform very well and only needed one spare round, before handing over to Caio. His 0+1 and 0+2 was one of his best shooting results so far and it was Lutz who got the chance to reach one shooting bout before the race finished.

Fabrizio Bourguignon joined them for the sprint in Ridnaun and the veteran missed one shot to finish 135th out of 136 competitors. Caio's six misses brought him 131st place, 1.4 seconds ahead of Lutz' 5 misses. As for the women: Mirlene Picin stepped in and, having less tired legs because of her not doing the relay, was half a minute faster on the ski's than Bruna. The participation in Ridnaun of Henar Extebarria (Spain), Claudia Salcedo (Chile), Maria Dominguez (Argentina), Angela Banduri (Georgia) and Sara Lucic (Serbia) gave the Brazilians a good chance to finish ahead of some athletes and that worked out well. Picin finished 90th, Bruna 91st and Gabi 95th in a field of 100...progress!

Obertilliach...more history!
Next up was Obertilliach and, on a side note, my first taste of biathlon in real instead of on TV (see my report on the trip earlier in this thread). Despite a burning throat and a face that told "This pain is killing me", Bruna managed to shoot well (2+1+0+2) and finished in 87th of 91, one place ahead of Gabi. Day 2 arrived, the sprint, and boy, did Bruna perform! A magical clean shooting, only the 3rd time in history a Brazilian did so, and 88th place out of 100. The 244,46 IBU points were the best result by far and were welcomed with a hearty celebration. Gabi finished 98th because of four shooting errors, but her skiing speed showed a promising upwards trend. 

Junior Worlds
After Obertilliach the biathlon season for Bruna was over, but Gabi and Caio still had the junior worlds in Cheile Gradistei to compete. Caio didn't have the best week of his life in terms of performance and had the slowest skiing speed in both the individual and sprint, resulting in 102nd and 101st places respectively (out of 102). Gabi finished in last place in the individual with nine misses, but on the plus side, she did beat two girls in skiing speed. Four misses in the sprint and not the best skiing result meant last place instead of qualifying for the pursuit, but she'll definitely be back next year, one year stronger. 

End of season
Meanwhile over in Austria, Bruna competed in some cross-country races. The highlight of this was the Austrian championships in Saalfelden in which Teresa Stadtlober (two times top-10 in the Tour de Ski) competed as well. Looking at relative results, Bruna was closer to Stadtlober than she was compared to the top IBU Cup skiers, meaning her skiing speed kept on improving! The whole team was united after Cheile Gradistei and competed some cross-country races in Switzerland as well...although the very last race could not be reached: there was literally too much snow to go from their hotel to the track, ending their season as the next day would see the travel back home.

Comments
I haven't gotten word from Gabi yet (I'll try to get some comments soon), but Bruna looked back at the season with the following: "I believe I had a good season and I'm happy with my results, but I believe I can do it even better next season. If there's one thing I want to keep doing the same way, it is to be focussed on my shooting trainings. I want to shoot at least 80% next season, but apart from that I also want to shoot a bit faster. Also I'm happy with my skiing speed in the biathlon competitions. Maybe I wasn't the fastest, but I could feel improvement and that's what is important for me, because I know I can improve season after season. Compared with last (pre)-season, I know I need to change some things in my training plans, but I have already talked about it with my federation (CBDN) and I'm expecting they will change that for me. I believe if my training changes in the right way, I can improve a lot compared to the two seasons I have had so far." 

Off-season and looking forward to 2016/2017
As an example of why Bruna (and myself) believes she can improve a lot next season: gym trainings normally only happened in the relatively short times in Sweden, but starting this month, she will actually train at the gym in her hometown in Brazil almost daily, effectively doubling her training input compared to last (pre)-season. Depending on how some laws, licenses and documents work out, she could also very well receive her very own laser rifle soon. Obviously this isn't the perfect shooting training, but I think we can all agree that it's a huge improvement compared to absolutely no kind of shooting training at all (like previously when not in Europe).

Bruna's goals for the now finished season, set by CBDN (the federation), were to shoot 65% over the course of the IBU-season and get a result below 280 IBU points. She destroyed those goals, by shooting 78% during IBU Cups 1, 2 and 3, a percentage only Jaqueline Mourão could beat in her best days, but never for a full season. She got 244 IBU points in her best race, also way better than the goal. Next season I firmly believe she can reach the first "magical" line of 200 points, which would mean that she qualifies for the next trimester in the IBU Cup. 

Talking about next season: during the summer they will have a big training camp in Argentina (Ushuaia), after which the calendar shows a trip to Chile, where the national championships will be held in Portillo (and maybe the South American championships, although they won't have a lot of competition there from Argentinians and Chileans). We won't see the Brazilians in the first IBU Cup trimester. Beitostoelen - Ridnaun - Obertilliach would be too expensive of a combination (it's a shame the season doesn't open in Idre again) so instead, they will be in an IBU development camp in November and December, the location of which isn't known yet. 

Their IBU Cup season then starts in January with the competitions in Martell and Arber. Participating in the 3rd trimester depends on getting 200 IBU points or less in Martell or Arber, or, if they compete, at the Open European Championships in Poland in the end of January. There is a small possibility Bruna and Gabi will compete at the Universiade in Kazakhstan, which isn't sure yet, but would be awesome! 

All in all, next season is going to be an extremely important one in terms of possible Olympic qualifying or at least getting close to that kind of level. I have a lot of faith in seeing big improvements for the team and I very strongly believe they can break the 200 point-barrier and qualify for a 3rd trimester of IBU Cups, which would give them invaluable experience (and a fun trip to the Kontiolahti Wall!).

Qualification for Universiade should be amazing. What evolution of the Brazilian biathlon. And I'm cheering for further evolve, they deserve. Beautiful work. :yes