website statistics

Brazil National Thread

Felipe

8 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

Qualification for Universiade should be amazing. What evolution of the Brazilian biathlon. And I'm cheering for further evolve, they deserve. Beautiful work. :yes

Exactly!

Leandro Lutz and Fabrizio Bourguignon were competing in the IBU Cup (the level under the World Cup) for years, but they are getting quite old and they simply aren't showing any signs of serious improvements...they were in the last 5 every time almost 10 years ago, 5 years ago and it's still the same. Mika Picin was a bit better but has a terrible career shooting record (I have the exact numbers in Excel somewhere, but without that I'd say it's around 50-55%...that's seriously not good for a biathlete). Besides, she's getting quite old...Jaque Mourão is almost exclusively focussing on cross-country in which she is still in great shape and at the moment I'd say she is the fastest Brazilian, but again, age... she reached 40 in December.

Right now in pure cross-country speed I would rank the Brazilian women like this:

1. Jaque Mourão

2. Bruna Moura

3. Flavia Fernandes (Leandro Ribela's wife, member of the BRA water polo team until half a year ago or something + ex/current triathlete, she started cross-country skiing more seriously recently)

4. Mika Picin

5. Gabi Neres

Gabi is by far the youngest so it's not so weird to see her at position 5 and I think she can catch Picin next season. It's hard to compare Mourão and Bruna because they never really race head-to-head, but I think Bruna can take over 1st place next season. (The Brazilian federation has physical tests every year around April and somewhere in June/July, including a rollerskiing test where they climb a hill in São Paulo. There's a small chance Mourão will be there, which would be really cool because then she and Bruna can fight head-to-head :) ). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

CBDN released the criteria and qualifying standards for Brazilian cross-country skiers for the 2017 World Championships:

http://www2.cbdn.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WSC2017-CC-Criterios-final_v2.pdf

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If any of you guys live in São Paulo and are interesting in the Brazilian cross-country skiing team (and biathlon), tomorrow they'll have their big physical tests on rollerski's there :p 

I thought it would be on the Pico do Jaraguá like usual, but I just heard they will do it in another place. I'm guessing it will be close to the University, but I'm not sure yet. Anyway, it will be a great and very interesting fight between the old generation with Jaque Mourão and the young generation with Bruna Moura :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Geez, where are the brazilians in this forum? This thread is almost dead.

Let's make some predictions for Rio to shake things up:

Gold medals (5):
Beach Volleyball (Alison Cerutti/Bruno Schmidt)
Gymnastics (Arthur Zanetti)
Sailing (Martine Grael/Kahena Kunze)
Swimming (Ana Marcela Cunha)
Volleyball (Men's team)

Silver medals (7):
Athletics (Fabiana Murer)
Canoeing (Isaquias Queiroz)
Beach Volleyball (Larissa França/Talita Antunes)
Boxing (Robson Conceição)
Football (Men's team)
Judo (Érika Miranda)
Sailing (Robert Scheidt)

Bronze medals (12):
Beach Volleyball (Ágatha Bednarczuk/Bárbara Seixas)
Boxing (Robenilson de Jesus)
Canoeing (Isaquias Queiroz/Erlon Souza)
Handball (Women's team)
Judo (Mayra Aguiar)
Judo (Sarah Menezes)
Judo (Victor Penalber)
Sailing (Fernanda Oliveira/Ana Barbachan)
Taekwondo (Iris Tang Sing)
Tennis (Bruno Soares/Marcelo Melo)
Volleyball (Women's team)
Wrestling (Aline Silva)

It pains me, but Brazil maybe won't win a single medal in Athletics (it all comes down to Murer) AND Swimming (aside maybe from Open Water). 24 medals is my official prediction for this Olympics, but the color of the medals might change - I think we will win 5/6 gold medals.

^ I'd upgrade to gold: Queiroz, Larissa-Talita, Football, 1 boxer, Miranda and Menezes. And exchange Men's for Women's Vball team. Total 11 gold. Believe me, this always happens with host nations.

Also I'd add as either silver or bronze Shooting pistol and one Swimming pool medal (don't know exactly who, but one will come for sure). And Ditch from the list Taekwondo.

5 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

^ I'd upgrade to gold: Queiroz, Larissa-Talita, Football, 1 boxer, Miranda and Menezes. And exchange Men's for Women's Vball team. Total 11 gold. Believe me, this always happens with host nations.

Also I'd add as either silver or bronze Shooting pistol and one Swimming pool medal (don't know exactly who, but one will come for sure). And Ditch from the list Taekwondo.

Taekwondo is my "wild" guess, but it could be Shooting.

I would like to think that Brazil will be THAT good, but I just don't see it, simply because we aren't a top sport nation like previous hosts. The best comparison for us is Greece, I think. They went from 13 medals (4G 6S 3B) in Sydney to 16 (6G 6S 4B) at home. Similarly, Brazil will improve from London, but not that much. I expect 7 medals more than the 17 we achieved in London, and 2/3 more golds.