website statistics

Luge at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Monzanator:

Luge/Bobsleigh is by far most expensive. I mean they hardly use those ex-Olympic venues. Is the Cesena track even operational these days?

I've read that some people push for the natural luge tracks to be introduced to the Olympics but that would mean kicking out bobsleigh. So I don't see that happening.

Yeah, it's stupid to build a track for only one event, i doubt that Korea will have a use for that facility, the same is true for ski jumping.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Luge/Bobsleigh is by far most expensive. I mean they hardly use those ex-Olympic venues. Is the Cesena track even operational these days?

I've read that some people push for the natural luge tracks to be introduced to the Olympics but that would mean kicking out bobsleigh. So I don't see that happening.

The Luge Federation have asked for 7 new events in 2022.

Natural track for men and women

Women's doubles 

Sprint events for men. women and doubles

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I thought so. I've heard it like 5-6 years ago but our TV experts claim that Italians still train at both Cortina/Cesena. I mean Cortina was still natural or more like concrete? I can't believe it's still out there?

I mean I've heard the Pragelato ski jumping hill complex is also done?

In Cesena we have an (unused) starting track... very unless. Our atlete go to do their training in Igls (Austria)

The Stadio del Trampolino is again open

37 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Loch choked, the german who designed this course will probably be getting a lot of hate now ...

This is sport, what would you consider a bigger surprise, Loch losing gold or Peiffer winning gold?

good question...

I guess I can say, after having watched the races, that both chances are unbelievable...

frankly, I never thought that Loch was going to lose after he was in the lead after 3 runs...but, to be honest, Pfeiffer's gold is definitely the bigger surprise...for me, at least...

by the way, from my Italian point of view, I can only say that Dominik's 4th place hurts...it hurts very, very badly...

congrats to the medallists...but D-Fisch's result hurts...man, how it hurts...

p.s. I've been following Luge since the glorious days of Paul Hildgartner's triumph in Sarajevo (1984, for those who might have forgotten)...and I can't remember a major race as crazy as this one...

we can say anything about it, but not that it wasn't full of unxpected turnarounds...

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I thought so. I've heard it like 5-6 years ago but our TV experts claim that Italians still train at both Cortina/Cesena. I mean Cortina was still natural or more like concrete? I can't believe it's still out there?

I mean I've heard the Pragelato ski jumping hill complex is also done?

also Cortina is no longer operational right now (however, it was no longer a "natural track" like St.Moritz in the last years it has been used, it was already renovated once with concrete walls, but still it wasn't safe enough to be used for skeleton and luge...it was only hosting bobsleigh competitions for just 2 months a year)...

now there is a project to completely rebuild the track according to the most modern standards, but of course nobody wants to put money into it...so, it will only remain on paper, I guess...

and we'll continue to send our kids beyond the border, in Igls, if they want to start a luge career (on the artificial tracks, since many of those kids still practice the natural track luge at home in South Tyrol, in any case)...

and yes, Pragelato complex is done and gone since long time ago (actually, all the people in Italy knew that it would have been a one-hit wonder and it would have been dismissed after the 2006 Games)...

il y a 40 minutes, OlympicsFan a déclaré:

Yeah, it's stupid to build a track for only one event, i doubt that Korea will have a use for that facility, the same is true for ski jumping.

You would had the events in... Japan then ? (or just no South Korea bid all together or from any "new" winter nations).

vor 4 Stunden schrieb De_Gambassi:

You would had the events in... Japan then ? (or just no South Korea bid all together or from any "new" winter nations).

Like i said before: Eliminate bob/luge/skeleton and ski jumping/nordic combined from the olympics, then the costs would go down massively.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

il y a 3 minutes, OlympicsFan a déclaré:

Like i said before: Eliminate bob/luge/skeleton and ski jumping/nordic combined from the olympics, then the costs would go down massively.

In this particular case, It would have change nothing. South Koreans love their white elephants (remember the 10 new stadiums built for an half world cup ?)

Besides, I'm pretty sure the cost of the speed skating rink is generally quite higher than the one of the ski jumping stadium (and with higher maintenance costs also). Do you drop this sport also ?