website statistics

Luge at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

19 minutes ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Gough :facepalm:another 4th place at the olympics ?

Nope, bronze!

Man, that was a rollercoaster ride.  Not least because my internet went out for about a minute and a half, just enough to miss Eitberger's and Gough's runs.  

1 hour ago, ofan said:

Very very good news. That crash could have easily left her paralyzed

When I saw that slow motion and she went up on the track, it looked like her feet/ankles just snapped in half....the biggest surprise of the day for me was when a few minutes later she was walking (sure, with some support, but with her feet on the ground).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, EselTheDonkey said:

In German Team, they decided years ago, that the best athlete/double in single competition will compete in the team. They stayed with this decision during every single competition, they have to do so now, too.

Indeed, it'd be one hell of a 'fuck you' to Ludwig if suddenly they'd change that now. Not that Germany is not the clear team favourite now, that gold medal chance maybe goes down by a few % with Ludwig instead of Loch, but they're still far ahead of anyone else if Ludwig, Geisenberger and whichever double don't do anything stupid. Unless the Austrian woman pulls off a miracle run maybe. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

When I saw that slow motion and she went up on the track, it looked like her feet/ankles just snapped in half....the biggest surprise of the day for me was when a few minutes later she was walking (sure, with some support, but with her feet on the ground).

Everything kind of pointed to the possibility of such crash. First injury in Oberhof, then crash in Sigulda, with generally mistake filled runs in between. And yesterday she really lacked confidence.

I just hope she won't retire from luge after this. :( If anything, for me she's definitely the best athlete commentator that I've heard...

#banbestmen

sure, the Germans are still the main favourites, but don't underestimate the US team in the relay event...;)

they have a good chance to make GER sweat quite a bit, at least...

imho, more than Austria (they don't have a woman who can keep the pace of the best Germans and Americans, even if the training runs of the doubles say that Penz/Fischler can keep up with Eggert/Benecken's pace)...

CAN is going for a bitter 4th place, I guess...

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

My biggest fear was that she would slide back head first into what is essentially a concrete wall. Luckily she was able to sit up and absorb the impact with her back. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb EselTheDonkey:

In German Team, they decided years ago, that the best athlete/double in single competition will compete in the team. They stayed with this decision during every single competition, they have to do so now, too.

Really ... ? I never heard that before, although i watched almost all world cups for the last 5+ years ... (Irony off). Why exactly do you keep telling me things that i already know? Of course it would be shitty to Ludwig, but the most important thing is to win gold, so Loch should compete instead of Ludwig. If Germany only wins 2 golds in luge, they should lose all funding, it would be a complete disgrace.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb thepharoah:

Maybe he's not psycoligically ready for this race after that heartbreak loss 

He looks fine to me, but he didn't deserve to go home without a medal just because of one bad run. It is also unfair to Eggert/Benecken and Geisenberger to make them compete with Ludwig, it clearly lowers their gold medal chance and of course everything but the gold would be a historic disaster for the german team.

Loch even visited the austrian house in Pyeongchang after the competition to party with Gleirscher.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.