Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Janakis

Winter Olympic Games 2022 News

phelps    446
Posted (edited)

Riportato

New Events Proposed by Sport Federations for Beijing 2022: (Some are yet to be finally confirmed but are likely to be nominated or at least discussed with an eye on future editions)

Alpine Skiing:

• Individual Parallel Slalom
  • Telemark Parallel Sprint
  • Telemark Team Parallel Sprint

Biathlon:

• Single Mixed Relay

Bobsleigh/Skeleton:

• Mixed Team Event

Curling:

• No new event but increasing mixed doubles from 8 teams to 16 teams

Figure Skating:

• Synchronised Skating

Freestyle Skiing:

• Big Air
  • Mixed Team Aerials

Luge:

• Women's Doubles
  • Men's Sprint
  • Women's Sprint
  • Men's Doubles Sprint
  • Men's Natural Track
  • Women's Natural Track

Nordic Combined:

• Women's Event

Short Track Speed Skating:

• Team Event

Snowboarding:

• Snowboard Cross Team Event
  • Parallel Slalom
  • Mixed Team Parallel Event

Ski Jumping;

• Mixed Team Event

basically I agree with @heywoodu on the single events (maybe I'd keep out also the Individual Telemark, too)...

c'mon, man!!! dear IOC...why do you want to make the Winter Olympics a farce??? :facepalm::wall:

Edited by phelps

intoronto    362
3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Do you guys believe we will see snowboarding and/or freestyle skiing with more than 10 events each at Beijing or later ? Remember, they introduced Big Air this time, but they dropped parallel slalom in the process.

Maybe, 10 is the upper limit for these sports (and FIS might do not want to have any of these two fellows with more events than alpine skiing anyway)

They dropped slalom because when it was originally added it was a one time deal for Russia. 

Gigs    44
Posted (edited)
vor 17 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Pretty much agree with everything you wrote 

Edited by Gigs
  • Like 1

dcro    2,458

The only thing that is nice is mixed curling with 16 teams. Welcome :GBR:CZE:EST:LAT:SVK:AUS:ITA:IRL :cheer: (they would have all qualified if WCF had a spine before Pyeongchang 2018).

juddy96    138
15 minutes ago, dcro said:

The only thing that is nice is mixed curling with 16 teams. Welcome :GBR:CZE:EST:LAT:SVK:AUS:ITA:IRL :cheer: (they would have all qualified if WCF had a spine before Pyeongchang 2018).

Considering like 40 teams participated at last year's Mixed Doubles world championships, there are definitely enough competitive nations to warrant this, which is great for the sport of curling

Finnator123    87

I hope Bettman & IOC will make up their fight before 2022. I want to see the NHL players in the Olympics.

@heywoodu PC Games? Remember all the mixed events added to Tokyo 2020.   By now every Olympics is a PC Event (when do men start doing synchornized swimming btw??)

Nate River    167
7 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Do you guys believe we will see snowboarding and/or freestyle skiing with more than 10 events each at Beijing or later ? Remember, they introduced Big Air this time, but they dropped parallel slalom in the process.

Maybe, 10 is the upper limit for these sports (and FIS might do not want to have any of these two fellows with more events than alpine skiing anyway)

Yes. Especially now that cross country skiing isn’t the discipline with the most events. TBH I think both Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing should he three disciplines each: snowboardcross, alpine snowboarding, freestyle snowboarding, ski cross, moguls & aerials (need to work on the branding :P) and park skiing (slopestyle, halfpipe and big air).

Nate River    167
10 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

@heywoodu PC Games? Remember all the mixed events added to Tokyo 2020.   By now every Olympics is a PC Event (when do men start doing synchornized swimming btw??)

I mean they did propose a mixed duet for 2020. Long term they probably need to move in that direction for the sport to remain in the Olympics.

heywoodu    2,966
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Yep, and my heart hurts every time I think about stuff like awesome shooting events being removed in favour of nonsense mixed events that's only being added for political reasons instead of having nice sports. 

Edited by heywoodu

De_Gambassi    261
Posted (edited)
il y a 36 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

Yes. Especially now that cross country skiing isn’t the discipline with the most events. TBH I think both Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing should he three disciplines each: snowboardcross, alpine snowboarding, freestyle snowboarding, ski cross, moguls & aerials (need to work on the branding :P) and park skiing (slopestyle, halfpipe and big air).

I fail to see the connection

PS: XC still has more events than any other FIS/IBU discipline.

EDIT/PS2: We could simply call moguls & aerials "freestyle skiing" :rolleyes:

Edited by De_Gambassi

heywoodu    2,966

Does anyone have any clue when qualifying criteria (for biathlon mostly) might be published?