website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

7 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

In four-man and two-man, there's quite a bit of overlap. I imagine it'd be similar in this case. But, you never know. Bobsleigh isn't my most knowledgeable sport, haha

D'you reckon I should try and get this published?

Want More Women in the Olympics_ Mixed Events Aren’t the Answer. .pdf

Mixed events are of course not the answer, but removing competitive men's events and/or quotas from small nations isn't either. Smaller teams could lose significant percentages of their team sizes, and why? Because Czech Republic and Germany should be able to field a hockey team that will lose all matches. Yay.

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't know where one might get this published, but I definitely like it. Although I don't agree with everything, by the way. My opinion on women's Nordic combined is clear I think (it should be added at some point, but 2022 is way too early considering there's not even a decently filled Continental Cup yet, let alone a World Cup), and any women's bobsleigh event (monobob or 4-woman, no difference in that) should only be added after several years of World Cup races. Also, adding two women's ice hockey teams, sure, but not when it costs quotas for other events. Just have 46 more athletes at the Games, it's not a problem. Takes like a half building extra. 

I suppose my reasoning for Women's Nordic Combined is, why not? It would only serve the get the event out there further. It's definitely a point to be made that the quality of competition will be way lower than the men's event, but we've seen that plenty of times. Women's hockey used to be Canada and US defeating everyone 10-0, and people still ate that up. 

Bobsleigh doesn't even have a real following, but I was pretty much thinking, ok, if they're willing to build a monobob WC from scratch for four years, why not the four-woman? At least Nordic Combined has something. Though in saying that Bobsleigh kind of does too. 

@dcro It really does all boil down to the athlete limits. It's a big shame, as I said. I should probably elaborate on that a bit more, though I'm trying to convince a wider audience with this, so I thought I'd focus on the gender equality angle as everyone can get behind that. Even if you're a total Social Justice Warrior, I just proved you can still find mixed events stupid... lol. But you could flip that back as well- supporters of women's hockey may say that it's pointless having quotas in biathlon for smaller nations if they're just going to lose all the time. The only way to please everybody and actually develop sports in smaller nations is to not cut quotas anywhere. 

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I suppose my reasoning for Women's Nordic Combined is, why not? It would only serve the get the event out there further. It's definitely a point to be made that the quality of competition will be way lower than the men's event, but we've seen that plenty of times. Women's hockey used to be Canada and US defeating everyone 10-0, and people still ate that up. 

Bobsleigh doesn't even have a real following, but I was pretty much thinking, ok, if they're willing to build a monobob WC from scratch for four years, why not the four-woman? At least Nordic Combined has something. Though in saying that Bobsleigh kind of does too. 

It really does all boil down to the athlete limits. It's a big shame, as I said. I should probably elaborate on that a bit more, though I'm trying to convince a wider audience with this, so I thought I'd focus on the gender equality angle as everyone can get behind that. Even if you're a total Social Justice Warrior, I just proved you can still find mixed events stupid... lol

But I don't think the Olympics should serve as a way to start some event from scratch. Events should already be interesting and competitive enough to deserve a place in the Olympics, so basically the other way around compared to what the IOC tries to do. All women's Nordic combined has so far is a bunch of 15-year old girls starting it and a handful of older ones who are happy there is finally an international competition or two.

I think my main problem is that it's bordering on insanity to finalize the list of events for the Olympics only 3 years before the Olympics. If you do it one cycle earlier, say 7 years, new events at least get the chance to grow up into something competitive.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But I don't think the Olympics should serve as a way to start some event from scratch. Events should already be interesting and competitive enough to deserve a place in the Olympics, so basically the other way around compared to what the IOC tries to do. All women's Nordic combined has so far is a bunch of 15-year old girls starting it and a handful of older ones who are happy there is finally an international competition or two.

I think my main problem is that it's bordering on insanity to finalize the list of events for the Olympics only 3 years before the Olympics. If you do it one cycle earlier, say 7 years, new events at least get the chance to grow up into something competitive.

At least Female Nordic Combined exists, and I'm not saying it'll be perfect by any means, but it could evolve decently in four years, it would, I think, add more to the Games than mixed short track or ski jumping.

Definitely agree on the 7 years thing

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

@heywoodu @dcro

I edited the last paragraph. With a little inspiration, haha. 

......It’s a welcome development- but it also comes with a significant problem-  it would have made for a better competition, though, if the number of women was raised to meet that of the men, rather than sacrificing some of the male quotas that enabled many smaller nations, for example, to take part. If two women’s hockey teams, which total over 40 athletes, are added, that could take many male quotas from smaller teams and sharply decrease their numbers. As we saw with canoe slalom, the IOC was so reluctant to add extra athletes for a women’s C2 that it excluded men’s C2, which utterly decimated the event to the point that the International Canoe Federation no longer even recognizes it. It’s important to remember that when we have a conversation about gender equality, we must also consider that there might be some merit to keeping around traditional events of the past that don’t necessarily conform. Being cancelled after so much hard work, effort and care over the years to get to where you are is something that I hope no athlete, or event, should ever experience- and robbing the Olympics of staple events, or the many nations which participate for the sake of participating, will make the Olympics far less diverse and engaging. Yet another thing that makes the Olympics special that is vital we keep around. We must question if, perhaps, those two women’s hockey teams might be worth it after all.

I know that controlling the number of athletes is an important thing, and perhaps, it is one of the main talking points that this all boils down to. If there were infinite athletes, or perhaps infinite time, there would be no need to debate whether events were unnecessarily taking up spots. But that is not our world, and I perhaps something like Synchronized Skating, with up to 20 members per team, might require an extra part of a building to accommodate. However, I would be surprised if numbers were the only reason that, say, thirty extra women can’t compete in women’s bobsleigh. .......

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1582761

The IIHF has layed out 4 options for the men's ice hockey tournament:

a) with NHL players

b) same format as 2018 (without NHL players)

c) under-23 tournament

d) no men's hockey tournament :cry:

2 ore fa, Topicmaster1010 ha scritto:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1582761

The IIHF has layed out 4 options for the men's ice hockey tournament:

a) with NHL players

b) same format as 2018 (without NHL players)

c) under-23 tournament

d) no men's hockey tournament :cry:

hopefully, we're gonna get back to "A"...

otherwise I still think that "D" would be the best option...

"B" would be very disappointing like this year...and I hope not to see anymore anything like that...

"C" is a senseless farce...it makes no sense at all (like for soccer at the Summer Games)...that's definitely the option to stay away from all the time...:facepalm::wall:

C would in my opinion be by far the worst option. An U23 tournament in whatever sport has no place at the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 5 months later...

Only a little over three years to go and they still didn't finish the venue you should finish first in order to highly increase your chance for medals? :facepalm: