website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

The only thing that is nice is mixed curling with 16 teams. Welcome :GBR:CZE:EST:LAT:SVK:AUS:ITA:IRL :cheer: (they would have all qualified if WCF had a spine before Pyeongchang 2018).

Considering like 40 teams participated at last year's Mixed Doubles world championships, there are definitely enough competitive nations to warrant this, which is great for the sport of curling

7 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Do you guys believe we will see snowboarding and/or freestyle skiing with more than 10 events each at Beijing or later ? Remember, they introduced Big Air this time, but they dropped parallel slalom in the process.

Maybe, 10 is the upper limit for these sports (and FIS might do not want to have any of these two fellows with more events than alpine skiing anyway)

Yes. Especially now that cross country skiing isn’t the discipline with the most events. TBH I think both Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing should he three disciplines each: snowboardcross, alpine snowboarding, freestyle snowboarding, ski cross, moguls & aerials (need to work on the branding :P) and park skiing (slopestyle, halfpipe and big air).

10 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

@heywoodu PC Games? Remember all the mixed events added to Tokyo 2020.   By now every Olympics is a PC Event (when do men start doing synchornized swimming btw??)

I mean they did propose a mixed duet for 2020. Long term they probably need to move in that direction for the sport to remain in the Olympics.

20 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

@heywoodu PC Games? Remember all the mixed events added to Tokyo 2020.   By now every Olympics is a PC Event (when do men start doing synchornized swimming btw??)

Yep, and my heart hurts every time I think about stuff like awesome shooting events being removed in favour of nonsense mixed events that's only being added for political reasons instead of having nice sports. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 36 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

Yes. Especially now that cross country skiing isn’t the discipline with the most events. TBH I think both Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing should he three disciplines each: snowboardcross, alpine snowboarding, freestyle snowboarding, ski cross, moguls & aerials (need to work on the branding :P) and park skiing (slopestyle, halfpipe and big air).

I fail to see the connection

PS: XC still has more events than any other FIS/IBU discipline.

EDIT/PS2: We could simply call moguls & aerials "freestyle skiing" :rolleyes:

Edited by De_Gambassi

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any clue when qualifying criteria (for biathlon mostly) might be published?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Werloc said:

I've heard there's 20 less quotas for Biathlon. That's all I know at the moment.

Yep, same here, but I'm dying to know exactly how they're planning on making qualifying for the non top-20/25 nations even more impossible.