website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2017

vinipereira

Happy for the 2nd gold :clap: but Hashemi was indeed lucky, his total record was 13kg lower than Moradi's record one weight down ! but still that's a world title. Hashemi was below his own PB though. 

now waiting for the super heavyweight clash between Talakhadze and Salimi/Alihosseini , while Talakhadze is clear favorite here I still hope for an upset. Alihosseini is a monster but being banned for 8 years I don't expect much from him for now. 

Talakhadze is just great, he broke two world records and won the gold easily, when was the last time he missed an attempt ?!

but today was another sad day in this sport, the IWF obviously has problem with Salimi ! the jury reverted his "good lift" twice here !!!! the same happened in Rio Olympics. this is funny because I had seen worse, much worse in this competition and looks like they are only strict on Salimi. it didn't change anything for Iran, they just replaced Salimi and Alihosseini on the podium and obviously I like Alihosseini much more. but still that was unfair and dirty. specially his last attempt. they probably wanted to punish him for his "reaction" .

Salimi at the podium took both his medals off his chest to show his protest . that was a "better protest" they almost banned him because of his protests in Rio.

but what about Alihosseini, he started terrible but got better slowly and 251kg was quite easy for him, no surprise that was his 1st competition after 8 years. he didn't participate even at a local competition in Iran. I know people will talk about his doping cases but people in Iranian weightlifting community know he was innocent in both cases. in 1st case he was just a teenager and a member of the team (the whole team tested positive) and he took whatever the Bulgarian coach told him to. and in the 2nd case, he was framed. he is the only one with a slim chance to challenge Talakhadze . he won silver with only 3-4 months of training and after 8 years of suspension. obviously he can lift more, much more.

and Iran won the men's team title for the 1st time, not that I care much about this, (I care more about medals) but people here consider that a great achievement ! :d

6th Day Medalists 

• Men's -105 Kg 
  1. :IRI Ali Hashemi - 402 kg 
  2. :LAT Arturs Plesnieks - 402 kg 
  3. :UZB Ivan Efremov - 399 kg 

• Women's -90 Kg
  1. :GEO Anastasiia Hotfrid - 265 Kg 
  2. :CHI Fernanda Maria Paris Valdes  - 255 Kg
  3. :DOM Dominga Crismery Santana - 254 Kg 

7th Day Medalists 

• Women's +90 Kg 
  1. :USA Sara Robles - 284 kg