Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

hckosice

Cross-Country Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

intoronto    282
1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

What about the traditional medal ceremony at closing ceremony? Will it be still men's 50 km or it will be changed to women's 30 km?

Both

heywoodu    2,027
9 hours ago, intoronto said:

"

The Organising Committee, POCOG, has a bigger focus on gender equality and has decided the Women’s Curling and Cross Country events will be decided on the final day of competition.

Previously, the Men’s events held sway on the final day of both the Winter and Summer Games."

http://pyeongchang2018.olympics.com.au/news/women-in-prime-time-in-pyeongchang-in-2018

:rolleyes:

heywoodu    2,027
2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Both

Ah damn it, so the men's medal ceremony is one day after the event? When do organizers realize that having a ceremony the day after the event suuuuuuuucks?

heywoodu    2,027
9 hours ago, Agger said:

I would agree with you some years ago (when you could make a Lineker-ish quote like: "Cross-country skiing is a simple sport. A bunch of men ski for 50 km and at the end, Northug wins"), but after Johan Olsson started with his daring attacks showing that they could actually create something, I would say that they are really interesting again. Sadly some of the most interesting skiers are either retired (Olsson) or doped (the russians), but I would still not agree.

I still hope the medals left by Legkov and Vyleghzanin will be vacated instead of Sundby getting silver..that would be rather anticlimactic.

hckosice    1,182
5 minutes ago, Pifta said:

This is the only relay of the season? There is none in the world cup

Exact.

dcro    1,762
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Ah damn it, so the men's medal ceremony is one day after the event? When do organizers realize that having a ceremony the day after the event suuuuuuuucks?

It's not all that black and white for me. If anything, athletes can look more sharp the day after. :d

hckosice    1,182
4 minutes ago, Pifta said:

But WHY?

No idea. Maybe they thought the team events and longer distance events are not so attractive for TV viewers or so, I really don´t know, I was also surprised when they revealed the calendar that there no relays this season :dunno:  Also there only 1 team sprint scheduled throughout the whole season

heywoodu    2,027
2 hours ago, dcro said:

It's not all that black and white for me. If anything, athletes can look more sharp the day after. :d

Athletes shouldn't look sharp on the podium, they should look exhausted and entirely full with the emotion of a huge success only moments ago. It's sports, not a fashion show. 

Edited by heywoodu

Nate River    115

FWIW it doesn't look like anything overlaps with the men's 50km race except the parallel snowboarding finals (and even that ends less than an hour into the 50km race) so it's not like it doesn't have a good spot on the schedule. The women's 30km free actually overlaps entirely with the men's hockey final so arguable the 50km actually had the better spot on the schedule.

It's actually kinda crazy how bad the scheduling is for the last day, they only have four events yet you will always have two events at once (four man bobsleigh and women's curling also overlap).

heywoodu    2,027

The Norwegian federation has selected ten athletes yesterday, six women, four men:

Marit Bjørgen

Maiken Caspersen Falla

Ragnhild Haga

Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen

Heidi Weng

Ingvild Flugstad Østberg

Hans Christer Holund

Johannes Høsflot Klæbo

Simen Hegstad Krüger

Martin Johnsrud Sundby

Sweden has a decent selection already as well:

Calle Halfvarsson