website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

il y a 14 minutes, OlympicsFan a déclaré:

1) There are many athletes that has been said about and of course when someone becomes olympic champion, everyone claims that he knew it before he was even born ...

2) Your last argument doesn't make sense to me. So you don't think that a nation like Norway (sudden resurgence in speed skating, sudden improvements in distance running (Moen, Ingebrigtsen, Grovdal, Warholm)) or the Netherlands has a special program to be so dominant in events that are 99% about endurance/strength? For me this makes no sense, if one nation has a much better program than the others, it's as unfair as only one nation doping, of course if you leave the moral aspect (if everyone dopes, no one can complain about having an unfair disadvantage, so we should not feel sorry for those who just don't dope good enough) aside.

Warholm is not a distance runner, he comes from combined events

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

"Starts to wonder" ... really? Have you missed the entire season? This kid came out of nowhere to completely dominate overall world cup, it's beyond ridiculous, even for norwegian standards. I think they panicked when Sundby and Johaug got banned, so they experimented with a new guy, which gave us the joy of Klaebo.

Actually,i didnt miss single race from this WC season. He was better than the competition throughout whole season but after i saw today's final i was in shock. When climbing phase started he literally ate Bolshunov. It  was like watching experienced senior against competitor in U16 category. Only time will tell but such kind of dominance was seen in cycling and we know what was going on in that sport. 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

That's just it. It's not like he does everything like the others and still dominates. His technique is something else, completely different than what the other athletes do.

Which, at least for me, takes away some doubt and just makes it enjoyable to watch. He does something else, I like people who do something else. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 6 Minuten schrieb SalamAkhi:

Warholm is not a distance runner, he comes from combined events

Really ... ? I though he was a marathon runner ...

400 m hurdles is more of a mid-distance event thanks to the hurdles, unlike the 400 m flat. I should have said mid-distance/long-distance, so thanks for the correction. Of course i remember him competing at the 2015 junior european championships in both the decathlon and the 400 m at the same time and winning silver in both events.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 8 Minuten schrieb ChandlerMne:

Actually,i didnt miss single race from this WC season. He was better than the competition throughout whole season but after i saw today's final i was in shock. When climbing phase started he literally ate Bolshunov. It  was like watching experienced senior against competitor in U16 category. Only time will tell but such kind of dominance was seen in cycling and we know what was going on in that sport. 

Norwegian people say that he just invented a new technique of running uphill, but apparently no one asked the following questions:

1) How much stronger must he be than everyone else to use that technique and how is it possible that someone who competed at juniors until recently is so much stronger than all the "adults".

2) Why did no one else come up with this new technique, given that it seems to make you unbeatable ...

If a nation has it's best male and female athlete banned in a sport, i don't trust this nation anymore + i think that norwegians panicked when they saw the bans for Sundby/Johaug and the rapid declining of Northug.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah I wondered what happened with Hakola all of a sudden. Totally gassed or something? I mean, he's good but it's not like you'd normally put him in the list of 1-2 favourites, so one can imagine that he gave it his all to make it to the final.. @Finnator123 Any chance to help us out? 

Yeah, he ran out of gas after his semifinal :( 

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) There are many athletes that has been said about and of course when someone becomes olympic champion, everyone claims that he knew it before he was even born ...

2) Your last argument doesn't make sense to me. So you don't think that a nation like Norway (sudden resurgence in speed skating, sudden improvements in distance running (Moen, Ingebrigtsen, Grovdal, Warholm)) or the Netherlands has a special program to be so dominant in events that are 99% about endurance/strength? For me this makes no sense, if one nation has a much better program than the others, it's as unfair as only one nation doping, of course if you leave the moral aspect (if everyone dopes, no one can complain about having an unfair disadvantage, so we should not feel sorry for those who just don't dope good enough) aside.

2 - I think that all the elite athletes do something that's impossibile to be done without pharmacological/scientific help...

I also think that all the socalled "big sports Nations" have the same amount of funding and knowledge to run "performance enhancing programs" (the only difference being that some of them do it as a State mission, some others just close their eyes on some individuals taking advantage of the opportunities that the human progress gives them)...

so, I still enjoy elite sports events...because I don't think that there is so much disparity at the start between the socalled powerhouses...in a certain sense, it's still a fair competition between a bunch of cheaters...

I just watch sports events like movies and/or tv series...and I try to enjoy the pictures I watch...pure entertainment and nothiong else (with a bit of participation for the Italian colours, but that goes well beyond sports and frivolities like that)...

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Norwegian people say that he just invented a new technique of running uphill, but apparently no one asked the following questions:

1) How much stronger must he be than everyone else to use that technique and how is it possible that someone who competed at juniors until recently is so much stronger than all the "adults".

2) Why did no one else come up with this new technique, given that it seems to make you unbeatable ...

If a nation has it's best male and female athlete banned in a sport, i don't trust this nation anymore + i think that norwegians panicked when they saw the bans for Sundby/Johaug and the rapid declining of Northug.

it's not completely true...there are some athletes who have a comparable technique (of course not at the same level of effectiveness)...

in today's race, for instance, if you carefully watch someone like Rastelli, he used more or less the same technique to climb the second hill (and in fact he was just behind Klaebo in the first quartfinal at that moment)...unfortunately he's 15cm shorter and 20kg lighter than the Norwegian (and most of his opponents), so he was left far behind on the following downhill and didn't have the same strenght in the arms in the final straight to compete with those "big guys" (if compared to him)...

and he's not the only one...

vor 9 Minuten schrieb phelps:

2 - I think that all the elite athletes do something that's impossibile to be done without pharmacological/scientific help...

I also think that all the socalled "big sports Nations" have the same amount of funding and knowledge to run "performance enhancing programs" (the only difference being that some of them do it as a State mission, some others just close their eyes on some individuals taking advantage of the opportunities that the human progress gives them)...

so, I still enjoy elite sports events...because I don't think that there is so much disparity at the start between the socalled powerhouses...in a certain sense, it's still a fair competition between a bunch of cheaters...

I just watch sports events like movies and/or tv series...and I try to enjoy the pictures I watch...pure entertainment and nothiong else (with a bit of participation for the Italian colours, but that goes well beyond sports and frivolities like that)...

I absolutely don't agree here, i think certain nations just have a much better doping program as others, so it's not fair at all, now they just have medical advantage instead of material/training advantages. Doping will always be there, but by applying much tougher sanctions, we could at least push it back a little bit.

You always seem to be very involved when italian athletes compete to be honest ... i remeber your reaction after Fischnaller only finished 4th for example or all your comments in the fencing thread.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I absolutely don't agree here, i think certain nations just have a much better doping program as others, so it's not fair at all, now they just have medical advantage instead of material/training advantages. Doping will always be there, but by applying much tougher sanctions, we could at least push it back a little bit.

You always seem to be very involved when italian athletes compete to be honest ... i remeber your reaction after Fischnaller only finished 4th for example or all your comments in the fencing thread.

well, that's because of my "very Italian, very Latin" character...:d

and as I wrote, sure I care a lot of my Country, being just some sports success or a lot more serious things..so, it's quite normal for me being "participative" and also very critical when I see something that I don't like (and I think it could/should be done better)...

you can call it an excess of love, if you like...;)

Edited by phelps