Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

hckosice

Cross-Country Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

heywoodu    3,226

Schedule

a252deca3a.png

50km classic, the king of all XC events :cheer:

dcro    2,713
12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

50km classic, the king of all XC events :cheer:

And it's not on the last day, WTF. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

heywoodu    3,226
52 minutes ago, dcro said:

And it's not on the last day, WTF. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Because more people are interested in seeing a grand total of two or possibly, on a good day, three women fight it out over 30km.

:cry:

intoronto    410
27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Because more people are interested in seeing a grand total of two or possibly, on a good day, three women fight it out over 30km.

:cry:

All in the name of gender equality. :sick:

dcro    2,713

But really, the only XC discipline that I care about these days is the interval start (ok, relays are fine too). Mass starts are so tedious, particulary skiathlons...

I watched 30km interval start race from Lillehammer 1994 recently. That was just awesome. :bowdown:

• Like 1

heywoodu    3,226
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

All in the name of gender equality. :sick:

In this case, I doubt it, it's not like the women's 30km in itself is new or something :p 

heywoodu    3,226
55 minutes ago, dcro said:

But really, the only XC discipline that I care about these days is the interval start (ok, relays are fine too). Mass starts are so tedious, particulary skiathlons...

If you include the 50k (especially classic) in that, you Sir, are on my infamous "don't take this person seriously about cross-country skiing" list :spank:

dcro    2,713
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If you include the 50k (especially classic) in that, you Sir, are on my infamous "don't take this person seriously about cross-country skiing" list :spank:

Only if it ever returns to interval start, where there's actually something to follow for the most of the race.

Edited by dcro

Agger    390
58 minutes ago, dcro said:

I would agree with you some years ago (when you could make a Lineker-ish quote like: "Cross-country skiing is a simple sport. A bunch of men ski for 50 km and at the end, Northug wins"), but after Johan Olsson started with his daring attacks showing that they could actually create something, I would say that they are really interesting again. Sadly some of the most interesting skiers are either retired (Olsson) or doped (the russians), but I would still not agree.

intoronto    410
58 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In this case, I doubt it, it's not like the women's 30km in itself is new or something :p 

"

The Organising Committee, POCOG, has a bigger focus on gender equality and has decided the Women’s Curling and Cross Country events will be decided on the final day of competition.

Previously, the Men’s events held sway on the final day of both the Winter and Summer Games."

http://pyeongchang2018.olympics.com.au/news/women-in-prime-time-in-pyeongchang-in-2018

• Haha 1

Vojthas    58

What about the traditional medal ceremony at closing ceremony? Will it be still men's 50 km or it will be changed to women's 30 km?