website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

1 hour ago, EselTheDonkey said:

This is not yet confirmed. Official statements only say, that her start at the test event is in danger, not that she definitely won't compete.

It would be sad, especially because Janas and Berger are also missing, but we still should be able to qualify. I think in top shape we would have the 5th best team in the world behind GB, USA, Russia and China.

Lets say our team wont qualify, would we be able to send Scheder or Seitz to Rio instead of Schäfer? I think Scheder and Seitz would have clearly better medal chances.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

It would be sad, especially because Janas and Berger are also missing, but we still should be able to qualify. I think in top shape we would have the 5th best team in the world behind GB, USA, Russia and China.

Lets say our team wont qualify, would we be able to send Scheder or Seitz to Rio instead of Schäfer? I think Scheder and Seitz would have clearly better medal chances.

I agree that we should be able to qualify anyway. I'm more worried about the men without Hambüchen.

The quota place for Schäfer is a persona one, because she won a medal at the World Championships. That means in case that Germany shouldn't qualify as a team, we can send Schäfer and someone else.

4 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

I agree that we should be able to qualify anyway. I'm more worried about the men without Hambüchen.

The quota place for Schäfer is a persona one, because she won a medal at the World Championships. That means in case that Germany shouldn't qualify as a team, we can send Schäfer and someone else.

The german womens head coach said that its only a minor injury and that she is optimistic that Schäfer will be able to compete. We already had enough bad luck this year (Schrader, Holzdeppe, Dissinger, Hambüchen), so we also deserve some luck. I hope that our womens team will qualify, because Seitz and Scheder are possible medal contenders in womens uneven bars. On the mens side i am not too worried honestly. Lets say we wouldve competed with Rittschik instead of Hambüchen at the world championships last year and Rittschik wouldve scored about 14.5 on mens pommel horse and 0 points everywhere else, then we wouldve had only about 0.5 points less overall, so we still wouldve had more than 345 points. France and South Korea were the only 2 other teams to score 342 points or more. I dont think that 2 out of Netherlands/Romania/Ukraine/Spain can score 345 points or more, so our team should qualify, unless they completely loose their nerves. In addition to that Nguyen and Bretschneider are in a clearly better shape now, so i think that 345 points would be pretty much the minimum for us.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow the Olympic test event will start and a whole bunch of tickets will be allocated. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Tomorrow the Olympic test event will start and a whole bunch of tickets will be allocated. 

This weekend really represents the climax of Olympic qualification.

Apart from this test event we also have:

Boxing European qualification

Fencing American qualification

Fencing European qualification

Table tennis Asian qualification

Table tennis European qualification

Taekwondo Asian qualification

Weightlifting Europeans

Wrestling European qualification

+Asian judo championships where a lot of ranking points will be given.

#banbestmen

Some Q&A for the test event... http://www.the-all-around.com/2016/04/15/rio-2016-gymnastics-qualifying-faq/

Q. Can Romania send Larisa Iordache to the Olympics if they fail to qualify as a team.
A. Yes. Teams that finish fifth-eighth at the Test Event can send the gymnast of their choice to the Olympics, even if that gymnast is not at the Test Event.

Q. Who will receive the continental spots for Africa and Oceania?
A. The top-ranked NOCs from Africa in Glasgow were, in order, South Africa, Algeria, Egypt, and Morocco for the men; and Algeria, South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, and Namibia for the women. On the men’s side, Ryan Patterson (RSA) and Mohamed Bourguieg (ALG) are in the Nominative Roster for the Test Event. Farah Boufadene (ALG) is the only female from Africa at the Test Event. Claudia Cummins (RSA) was the next gymnast from Africa in Glasgow qualifying and should receive the second quote place.

Oceania’s single quota place is filled on the women’s side, since the Australian women have a guaranteed place by virtue of competing as a team at the Test Event. For the men, the higher placed of Michael Mercieca (AUS) and Mikhail Koudinov (NZL) will obtain the spot.

The FIG Olympic Qualification rules specify that if a continent is under-represented after the first and second Olympic Qualifications, the best ranked gymnasts from that continent, based on Competition I of the 2015 World Championships will have the place. If an NOC decides not to use its place, then the quota place goes to the next best-ranked NOC from the same continent, and if not applicable, the place goes to the next best ranked eligible NOC, regardless of continent, at the 2016 Olympic Test Event.

It should be noted that the same rule was in place in 2012, but when South Africa was unable to send a gymnast as the second representative for Africa in WAG, Egypt received two spots.

Q. Who is eligible for the Tripartite Commission Invitation?
A. MAG and WAG will each have one available space for a Tripartite Commission invitation. According to information from the Tripartite Commission, invitations are given to NOCs with “an average of eight (8) or less athletes at the last two editions of the Olympic Games. Only eligible NOCs are permitted to make a request for their best athletes in the sports offering Invitation places.”

To be considered, gymnasts from eligible NOCs must have participated at the 2015 World Championships and/or the Test Event. The following countries represented in Glasgow are eligible for the Tripartite Commission:

WAG: Bolivia, Cayman Island, Honduras, Malta, Monaco, Panama
MAG: Bolivia, Monaco

Applications for the Tripartite Commission Invitation were due from NOCs by 15 January 2016, with the decisions being confirmed to the NOCs at a time determined by each sport’s qualification system. NOCs then have two weeks to accept the invitation. If no invitation is issued or accepted, the spot will be returned to FIG and allocated to the next best-ranked eligible gymnast from the Test Event.

#banbestmen