website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

Sorry for the double post, but I think this is important and deserves its own post: the folks from Gimnasia Latina told me that North Korea also decided not to send a male gymnast to the Test Event, so India will be able to sendo both a male and a female gymnast. Unfortunately they don't know whether India will indeed send both gymnasts or not. Could our Indian friends get any info on that?

Edited by thiago_simoes

17 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Sorry for the double post, but I think this is important and deserves its own post: the folks from Gimnasia Latina told me that North Korea also decided not to send a male gymnast to the Test Event, so India will be able to sendo both a male and a female gymnast. Unfortunately they don't know whether India will indeed send both gymnasts or not. Could our Indian friends get any info on that?

It appears she is going

As hoped and somewhat expected, Yuri van Gelder won't be in the team at the Olympic Test Event :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

As hoped and somewhat expected, Yuri van Gelder won't be in the team at the Olympic Test Event :) 

And why exactly is that good news? Would he be bad for your chances to qualify for Rio, because he is only good at one apparatus?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

17 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

And why exactly is that good news? Would he be bad for your chances to qualify for Rio, because he is only good at one apparatus?

Exactly. In his place there will be someone who is able to do more than one apparatus at a reasonable level (no idea who that will be by the way).

Now it's only hoping Zonderland will fight off the injury troubles. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Exactly. In his place there will be someone who is able to do more than one apparatus at a reasonable level (no idea who that will be by the way).

Now it's only hoping Zonderland will fight off the injury troubles. 

Zonderland isnt qualified until now for Rio?

I think your main goal should be to qualify Zonderland, all your other athletes wont have a medal chance. I think he can also qualify individually if your team fails to qualify. Germany, France and Ukraine are stronger in my opinion, but you should beat Romania and Spain, especially if Zonderland is fit. Zonderland should score close to 16 points at high bar, which should put you out of the reach of Romania/Spain. I think you can actually be pretty relaxed. Team qualification would be a bonus and Zonderland should have no problem to qualify if he is not completely out of shape. As a german fan i cant be that relaxed, because Nguyen, Bretschneider and Hambüchen all have to qualify and all could be medal contenders in Rio, so we really have to qualify a team.

You really should talk to the guys of Infostrada, they dont predict a gold medal for Zonderland in Rio. He might struggle with injuries, but all the other guys (maybe except for Hambüchen) are pretty inconsistent. Leyva, Uchimura and Larduet all could challenge for a medal, but i think only Larduet has enough upside to challnge in-shape Zonderland. From a german perspective all my hopes are on Bretschneider and not on Hambüchen. Bretschneider wouldve won the gold medal at the last world championships without the fall, so you clearly have to consider him as a possible medal contender.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think your main goal should be to qualify Zonderland, all your other athletes wont have a medal chance. I think he can also qualify individually if your team fails to qualify. Germany, France and Ukraine are stronger in my opinion, but you should beat Romania and Spain, especially if Zonderland is fit. Zonderland should score close to 16 points at high bar, which should put you out of the reach of Romania/Spain. I think you can actually be pretty relaxed. Team qualification would be a bonus and Zonderland should have no problem to qualify if he is not completely out of shape. As a german fan i cant be that relaxed, because Nguyen, Bretschneider and Hambüchen all have to qualify and all could be medal contenders in Rio, so we really have to qualify a team.

You really should talk to the guys of Infostrada, they dont predict a gold medal for Zonderland in Rio. He might struggle with injuries, but all the other guys (maybe except for Hambüchen) are pretty inconsistent. Leyva, Uchimura and Larduet all could challenge for a medal, but i think only Larduet has enough upside to challnge in-shape Zonderland. From a german perspective all my hopes are on Bretschneider and not on Hambüchen. Bretschneider wouldve won the gold medal at the last world championships without the fall, so you clearly have to consider him as a possible medal contender.

I honestly have no idea how they're all standing, I just know their goal is to qualify the team and of course Zonderland's goal is to win gold :p

Infostrada are just looking at last year's World Champs I suppose and falling off the bar won't help in getting a medal..

And when talking about him being fit, I mean for the test event, because apparently he is still struggling with injuries and by now it's only a month before the event..

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

No, he isn't. But if Netherlands don't qualify as a team, they can decide which athlete to send to Rio: http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/publicdir/rules/files/olympic/GA_OG_Rio_2016_Qualification_System-e.pdf  

This would probably be Zonderland.

Start lists for test events are out. Its official Dipa is participating and has chance to become first Indian gymnast to qualify for Olympics. 

Also, sad that Indian federation didn't send Rakesh, who had also qualified for test event 

4 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

No, he isn't. But if Netherlands don't qualify as a team, they can decide which athlete to send to Rio: http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/publicdir/rules/files/olympic/GA_OG_Rio_2016_Qualification_System-e.pdf  

This would probably be Zonderland.

And if he isn't gonna be fit, I suppose it would be Van Gelder, or does the athlete have to have competed in the test event?