website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

6 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Romania still has other talented gymnasts and with enough technical potential to form a team of five that would put on a good fight: Catalina Ponor, Diana Bulimar, Laura Jurca, Andreea Iridon, Anamaria Ocolisan, Silvia Zarzu, Maria Holbura etc.

Last year with Iordache, Jurca, Iridon, Zarzu and Bulimar you were 2 points or more behind Belgium/France/Germany/Brazil. I dont think that Germany or Brazil will get any worse, but i dont know about France and Belgium. I think you will need to score better than last year, which will be really difficult without Iordache, considering that she scored about 56 points. Your biggest problem seems to be uneven bars and Iordache is your best athlete at uneven bars, so it doesnt look very good for you at the moment. I really pray that you will qualify, olympics without Iordache would be horrible, especially in womens all around. :(

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Romania still has other talented gymnasts and with enough technical potential to form a team of five that would put on a good fight: Catalina Ponor, Diana Bulimar, Laura Jurca, Andreea Iridon, Anamaria Ocolisan, Silvia Zarzu, Maria Holbura etc.

The Test Event will be Holbura's first major international meet, and good luck counting on her in this nervewrecking situation. Jurca and Zarzu are not exactly "talented" gymnasts. They are mediocre at best. Bulimar severely lacks consistency, Ponor does not perform on the uneven bars (arguably the worst apparatus for Romania). And the Romanian team will perform on the very first subdivision, what usually equals to lower scores. 

On 09/03/2016 at 10:56 PM, thiago_simoes said:

Brazil, Germany and France, for sure. Belgium has lost one of their best gymnasts, and Australia will see the return of Lauren Mitchell, so they will fight for the final team quota with Romania. 

It's insane that at this point Romania will depend on Catalina Ponor once again. And she doesn't perform on the worst apparatus for the team, Uneven Bars, so the team will have trouble reaching an acceptable score on this apparatus.

Romania will not depend on Catalina Ponor . Laura Jurca and Diana Bulimar are in good shapes but Uneven Bars is a weak apparatus for us , i think Romania win the quotas easily

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

The Test Event will be Holbura's first major international meet, and good luck counting on her in this nervewrecking situation. Jurca and Zarzu are not exactly "talented" gymnasts. They are mediocre at best. Bulimar severely lacks consistency, Ponor does not perform on the uneven bars (arguably the worst apparatus for Romania). And the Romanian team will perform on the very first subdivision, what usually equals to lower scores. 

Laura Jurca is 8 place at world championship in 2015 with 56.732 points , Larisa has only 55.698 in qualification . Romania will win the Test Event :yes

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

In general i agree about Jurca, but i think you are a bit too "harsh". I was very surprised that she finished top 10 in the all around last year, considering that girls like Janas or Downie always outperformed her at junior level, but a 16 year old girl finishing top 10 at world championships is still a pretty good result. I dont ever see her winning an individual medal, but she can be very important in the romanian team and she will probably have to compete at all 4 apparatus in the team.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

In general i agree about Jurca, but i think you are a bit too "harsh". I was very surprised that she finished top 10 in the all around last year, considering that girls like Janas or Downie always outperformed her at junior level, but a 16 year old girl finishing top 10 at world championships is still a pretty good result. I dont ever see her winning an individual medal, but she can be very important in the romanian team and she will probably have to compete at all 4 apparatus in the team.

I think she surprised everyone last year . I would like to  surprise Munteanu and manage to make all apparatus because she is very talented

Now we have the complete list of Latin-American gymnasts who will attend the Test Event. Only Colombia was not sure of who should go to the Test Event, but unsurprisingly they have chosen Catalina Escobar (gold medal on vault at the 2010 South American Games and bronze medal on vault at the 2011 Pan American Games).

• Argentina: Ailen Valente, Nicolas Cordoba
  • Colombia: Jossimar Calvo, Javier Sandoval, Catalina Escobar
  • Chile: Simona Castro, Tomás González
  • Peru: Ariana Orrego
  • Venezuela: Jessica Lopéz
  • Costa Rica: Tarik Soto
  • Mexico: Kevin Cerda, Daniel Corral, Ana Lago, Alexa Moreno
  • Puerto Rico:  Luis Rivera, Andrés Perez
  • Guatemala: Ana Gomez
  • Cuba: Randy Leru, Marcia Vidaux
  • Brazil: Women's team

Still no word about India and Dipa Karmakar, what makes me worried.