website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Brazil, Germany and France, for sure. Belgium has lost one of their best gymnasts, and Australia will see the return of Lauren Mitchell, so they will fight for the final team quota with Romania. 

It's insane that at this point Romania will depend on Catalina Ponor once again. And she doesn't perform on the worst apparatus for the team, Uneven Bars, so the team will have trouble reaching an acceptable score on this apparatus.

Any chance for Switzerland with Steingruber? Or rest of the team just not good enough? And I don't know much about Korea's team

1 hour ago, hukbrazil said:

If Romania get the quota, Iordache can be selected for the Olympics?

Now, if Romania doesn't qualify a full team, both Iordache and Ponor will be automatically not eligible for the Olympics. Only gymnasts who perform on all four apparatus in the Test Event can apply for the spot at the Olympics.

I hope and pray Romania gets one of the team quotas. I want to see Iordache and Ponor in Rio! 

Just now, juddy96 said:

Any chance for Switzerland with Steingruber? Or rest of the team just not good enough? And I don't know much about Korea's team

I don't think Switzerland has any chance to qualify a full team. Steingruber is not on her best days, and the other girls are relatively weak. South Korea also has a weak team, and they rely too much on one single gymnast (Yun Narae), which is never a good idea.

Sadly we will have to compete without Janas, she is injured again and will probably miss Rio. At this point i think that she should just end her career ...

I actually predicted that this would happen when i first took notice of her (in 2013). Thats just what always happens when Germany has a talent like her. She is the biggest talent Germany ever had in artistic gymnastics (on the womens side), but obviously its not supposed to be that we are good in womens artistic gymnastics ...

Even without Janas we should clearly be good enough to qualify. I hope that we will compete with Berger, Scheder, Schäfer, Seitz and Alt. We will miss Janas especially at floor and balance beam, but our strength at uneven bars should give us a big advantage.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Does anybody have any further news on Dipa Karmarkar??

I have gone through the rules and it is clear that if north korea pulled out, then both Colombia and India (who is 2nd reserve) will be invited.

However, here's why I have a bad feeling. The registration list has no women athletes from North Korea and also has one women athlete from Colombia. But it does not have India !!! I also double-checked and every other country who is eligible has registered.

However, 40 individual non-qualified athletes should be competing at the event and the registration has been listed for only 39. Also, registration is as of Feb 25.

So, either India has registered after Feb 25, or the more scary alternative is that the INDIAN GYMNASTICS FEDERATION SCREWED UP LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS (and unfortunately things like that happen in India) !!!

On 09/03/2016 at 1:02 AM, thiago_simoes said:

Now, if Romania doesn't qualify a full team, both Iordache and Ponor will be automatically not eligible for the Olympics. Only gymnasts who perform on all four apparatus in the Test Event can apply for the spot at the Olympics.

I hope and pray Romania gets one of the team quotas. I want to see Iordache and Ponor in Rio! 

Romania still has other talented gymnasts and with enough technical potential to form a team of five that would put on a good fight: Catalina Ponor, Diana Bulimar, Laura Jurca, Andreea Iridon, Anamaria Ocolisan, Silvia Zarzu, Maria Holbura etc.

Just now, IoNuTzZ said:

Romania still has other talented gymnasts and with enough technical potential to form a team of five that would put on a good fight: Catalina Ponor, Diana Bulimar, Laura Jurca, Andreea Iridon, Anamaria Ocolisan, Silvia Zarzu, Maria Holbura etc.

any chance that Izabasa return for Olympics?