website statistics

Ski Jumping at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

I recorded the event and wanted to watch it later today, but due to the many delays I missed the final :mad:

Also after Wellinger completely bigheadedly called himself the man to beat after the trainings I just thought, please ski jumping gods, anyone but him. I guess the result shows he was right but I just hate it when an athlete calls himself the favorite especially when it's not objectively true. 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb rybak:

Very sad end of the day, I feel so dissapointed that I even don't know what Kamil and especially Stefan feels, he lost his life chance for medal :cry:

Edit: And Wellinger again had his damn luck, wind and judges help him to win, Olympic spirit is broken as cheater take gold...

I can understand that you are disappointed, I would be, too. But come on: It's not that Wellinger can control the wind. And his high Jury marks were deserved. And aside from that, he would have won gold even if all the judges had undeservedly given him two points less. 

Wellinger won two practice rounds in Pyeongchang, he won the qualifying and he is third in Overall World Cup standings. He's hardly an Olympic Champion by coincidence.  

And also, he didn't have great wind in first round. Freitag, Hola, Stoch, Forfang, Tande, Eisenbichler all had better. The only one of the top athletes today, who had worse wind than Wellinger in first round, was Johansson.

And in second round, of the best athletes, only Stoch and Freitag had it actually worse than Wellinger. The others had just as good wind: http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/JP/3096/2018JP3096RL.pdf

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Gianlu33:

Nice idea, what about build a big (very very big) hangar o something like this? :p 

Yeah ... that's exactly what we need. Build a hangar for 1 billion dollars that can only be used for ski jumping and then after the olympics never use it again.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb VolleyRuller96:

I think the emotions should water down a bit by now... but still, I am speechless :cry:

This was possibly Hula's only chance for an olympic medal :(

What? If Poland doesn't win a medal in the team competition, they should stop competing in ski jumping. Stoch could probably jump backwards and they would still win a team medal, given how horrible Slovenia, Japan and especially Austria are. Before the start of the olympics i was sure that Poland would win gold, but now Norway and Germany seem better than before, so maybe this could be a threeway battle for gold, although it is more likely that Eisenbichler and/or Geiger completely mess up again.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb rybak:

Very sad end of the day, I feel so dissapointed that I even don't know what Kamil and especially Stefan feels, he lost his life chance for medal :cry:

Edit: And Wellinger again had his damn luck, wind and judges help him to win, Olympic spirit is broken as cheater take gold...

Wind points today:

Wellinger (-10.5 & -17.8 = -28.3)

Forfang (-12 & - 17.2 = -29.2)

Johansson (-5 & -17.9 = -22.9)

Stoch (-13.5 & -10.8 = -24.3)

Hula (-14.4 & -18.2 = 32.6)

Tande (-13.2 & -19.4 = -32.6)

Kobayashi (-15.3 & -18.6 = -33.9)

Eisenbichler (-14.8 & -17.1 = -31.9)

Freitag (-13.4 & -12.2 = -25.6)

Geiger (-9.4 & -15.8 = -25.2)

Out of the top 10, 5 athletes had better wind conditions than Wellinger and 4 had worse wind conditions. Hula had the second best wind, together with Tande, but yeah Wellinger is the one who got lucky, although Hula had better conditions than him in both rounds ...

Just as a reminder: Wellinger won by 8.4 points, so even if he would have jumped 109.5 m in the second round, he would have won today.

Wind points at the 4 hills tournament, Freitag vs. Stoch:

Oberstdorf:

Stoch: 6.3 & 1.0 = 7.3

Freitag: 4.4 & 13.2 = 17.6

Garmisch-Partenkirchen:

Stoch: 1.5 & 1.9 = 3.4

Freitag: 3.0 & 6.6 = 9.6

Innsbruck:

Stoch: -3.4 (& -0.9)

Freitag: -1.5

In total:

Stoch: 7.3

Freitag: 25.7

Out of 5 rounds they competed against each other, Stoch had the better conditions 4 times. If i calculated correctly, the probability for that is 12.5%, but yeah Stoch wasn't lucky at all ...

If we only look at the competitions as a whole, Stoch had the better conditions every time (3 out of 3).

3 godziny temu, OlympicsFan napisał:

Wind points today:

Wellinger (-10.5 & -17.8 = -28.3)

Forfang (-12 & - 17.2 = -29.2)

Johansson (-5 & -17.9 = -22.9)

Stoch (-13.5 & -10.8 = -24.3)

Hula (-14.4 & -18.2 = 32.6)

Tande (-13.2 & -19.4 = -32.6)

Kobayashi (-15.3 & -18.6 = -33.9)

Eisenbichler (-14.8 & -17.1 = -31.9)

Freitag (-13.4 & -12.2 = -25.6)

Geiger (-9.4 & -15.8 = -25.2)

Out of the top 10, 5 athletes had better wind conditions than Wellinger and 4 had worse wind conditions. Hula had the second best wind, together with Tande, but yeah Wellinger is the one who got lucky, although Hula had better conditions than him in both rounds ...

Just as a reminder: Wellinger won by 8.4 points, so even if he would have jumped 109.5 m in the second round, he would have won today.

Wind points at the 4 hills tournament, Freitag vs. Stoch:

Oberstdorf:

Stoch: 6.3 & 1.0 = 7.3

Freitag: 4.4 & 13.2 = 17.6

Garmisch-Partenkirchen:

Stoch: 1.5 & 1.9 = 3.4

Freitag: 3.0 & 6.6 = 9.6

Innsbruck:

Stoch: -3.4 (& -0.9)

Freitag: -1.5

In total:

Stoch: 7.3

Freitag: 25.7

Out of 5 rounds they competed against each other, Stoch had the better conditions 4 times. If i calculated correctly, the probability for that is 12.5%, but yeah Stoch wasn't lucky at all ...

If we only look at the competitions as a whole, Stoch had the better conditions every time (3 out of 3).

there is a problem...would Hula jump 105.5 with such wind IN REALITY (not counted by comp) - would he jump 3m shorter than Zografski. Did he really jump in that better conditions than Stoch? No, sth went wrong, sth is wrong with this system, this time we paid a price. But he should have jumped 107 meters and get silver. His 2nd jump was weaker than 1st, by far.

There are some controversions (with this wind system) but sure...Hula could have left no room for them

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

9 godzin temu, rybak napisał:

Luck? What are you saying? He was the best clearly, he deserved his gold.

Forfang and Hula were equally good, sure sth went wrong with this wind system, Hula shouldn`t lose to Johansson and Stoch but he did. And to be true, 105.5m wasn`t impressive, Hula left some margin for the "system" risk. 

106.5m for silver, 106m for bronze probably...well, he should have jumped it easily, his 2nd effort was just not good enough

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Pavlo:

there is a problem...would Hula jump 105.5 with such wind IN REALITY (not counted by comp) - would he jump 3m shorter than Zografski. Did he really jump in that better conditions than Stoch? No, sth went wrong, sth is wrong with this system, this time we paid a price. But he should have jumped 107 meters and get silver. His 2nd jump was weaker than 1st, by far.

There are some controversions (with this wind system) but sure...Hula could have left no room for them

The wind points don't always show the true conditions, that is certainly true. If you have headwind very early it's much worse than having headwind further down the hill, but you get the same points. We have to say that Hula probably had the best conditions (gate + wind) in the first round, so i am not really sure about him being treated unfairly, i think he had every chance to medal and for me Wellinger deserved the gold, because he also won the qualification, the trial round for qualification and two trainings, but the norwegians certainly got lucky today. I agree that they should have postponed this competition or better not even have started it that late. It was a saturday after all, so did they really think that far more european people would watch it at 1:30 pm instead of 10 am for example? The good thing about the winter olympics is that you can follow all decisions live (unlike the summer olympics), so i don't understand the schedule at all ...

Tonight they had snowboarding at 2 am european time, then downhill was planned at 3 am and then ... nothing until 8 am (cross-country), then speed skating and then again ... nothing until 11:45 or so (luge). Why can't they just start every medal decision at 2 pm local time (6 am european time) and end it at 7 or 8 pm local time at the latest? There are so few medal decisions every day that it would be no problem to squeeze the schedule together a bit and still allow the spectators to watch everything live.