Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
hckosice

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

uk12points    373
2 hours ago, Quasit said:

On what basis would you decline any quota? Isn't participating at the OG alone worth something anymore? :wall:

GB has pretty strict rules too! 2x Top 67% in a World Cup or World Championships. Might be harsh but produces a stronger quality team as a result and doesn’t seem to affect too many athletes, just 2 this time - 1 in women’s ski cross and 1 in women’s cross country!

Gianlu33    784

I really don't understand why reject a quota... What stupid decision.

Luckily in Italy all athletes that have a quota are sure to go at Olympics

• Like 1

OlympicsFan    202
vor 1 Stunde schrieb heywoodu:

Because plenty of major countries don't want to send athletes without realistic chances of finishing at least in decent positions (I would perfectly understand Norway, Germany, USA etc not sending an alpine skier who never really came close to the top-20 for example). It's different for smaller countries. 

It isnt even about not wanting to send someone who never cam close to top 20, its just not possible. To qualify for the olympics you have to finish top 15 twice or top 8 once, so someone who never cam close to top 20 couldnt be nominated by german skiing federation, because then german NOC would decline, otherwise hell would break lose and everyone would sue them for making an exception. Of course we could talk about whether finishing top 15 twice in nordic combined for example is as difficult as finishing top 15 twice in cross-country skiing for example.

dcro    2,249
49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I still understand it depends on the sport and nation. The Netherlands declining a skeleton quota would be rather bad, since the athlete is actually a potential medal outsider (or at least top-6), whereas declining alpine skiing quotas is more logical in the Dutch case, since I highly doubt it would work as a motivating factor for our youth when a slalom skier comes in 36th or something. They don't have unlimited money, so choices have to be made. I do think the criteria are too strict sometimes, but I do understand they exist.

Top-8 should really be the strictest possible standard. Finishing 8th at the Olympics still gives you a diploma!

JoshMartini007    111
46 minutes ago, dcro said:

Top-8 should really be the strictest possible standard. Finishing 8th at the Olympics still gives you a diploma!

I remember when to qualify to the French swimming team you had to break the French record in some events.

Canada has some additional standards, but usually it's to prevent "free qualification" due to easy qualification for some sports (sailing was a big one in 2016).

Andry84    4
1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

I really don't understand why reject a quota... What stupid decision.

Luckily in Italy all athletes that have a quota are sure to go at Olympics

Are you sure that Italy will go with 22 alpine skiers or 4 women in ski jumping, but also 4 male jumpers are not sure (in Sochi we rejected some quotas in ski jumping).

Gianlu33    784
5 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

Are you sure that Italy will go with 22 alpine skiers or 4 women in ski jumping, but also 4 male jumpers are not sure (in Sochi we rejected some quotas in ski jumping).

I'm almost sure that we'll send all ski jumper this time. I haven't idea for the alpine skiing, maybe we will cut some quotas but we will use all sports for sure

phelps    352
57 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

look at coni's website (the dedicated microsite for Pyeongchang)...

just click on the "Azzurri" list and you have the names for all the disciplines...some of them are already official, some others need confirmation in the next few days...

but you can see from now that we're going to send at best 21 alpine skiers (to be chosen among those in that list)...

in Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined at the moment there are still the full teams, but I don't think they will send all of them to Korea...actually, I hope they won't waste so much money)...

imho, they should give the green light only to those athletes that can at least make the top 15 (and have actually made at least twice the top 8 in this season)...

the remaining money should be saved for developing the skills and experience of the most successful youngsters, already looking ahead to Beijing 2022, rather than making some gifts of a paid holiday to a bunch of "capre, capre, capre" (cit. Vittorio Sgarbi :lol::roflmao:)...

• Haha 1

heywoodu    2,679

Philipp Schörghofer has been named in Austria's team. Interesting, since he hasn't had a single race since his injury. 

intoronto    328
26 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

Liechtenstein refused team event

Means Serbia will qualify (and get an extra quota!, hopefully the Serbian athlete gets a reallocation on the main list as well)

• Like 1

dcro    2,249

8 reallocations so far in alpine skiing... :CAN:DEN:ESP:LIE:LIE:LIE:NED:NED.

:USA:GER:NOR:GER:FRA:USA:SRB:FRA provisionally get them. Still waiting for some big fish to confirm their places though.