Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
hckosice

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

dcro    2,479

Here we go. :DEN Denmark already declined women's spot, while :BRA:MDA:LTU:TUR have already confirmed all of their places. :d

Dunadan    153

France confirmed all of their 19 quotas.

Croatia refused the Team event quota.

Quasit    153

On what basis would you decline any quota? Isn't participating at the OG alone worth something anymore? :wall:

• Like 1

dcro    2,479
3 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

France confirmed all of their 19 quotas.

Croatia refused the Team event quota.

Yeah, I would wait for Croatia a bit. They were one of the first to accept quotas, before that team event column even appeared...

konig    398
10 minutes ago, Quasit said:

On what basis would you decline any quota? Isn't participating at the OG alone worth something anymore? :wall:

I cant understand this either, things of countrys who dont apreciate to participate in the Olympic Games like they qualify easily their athletes.

heywoodu    2,990
35 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Because plenty of major countries don't want to send athletes without realistic chances of finishing at least in decent positions (I would perfectly understand Norway, Germany, USA etc not sending an alpine skier who never really came close to the top-20 for example). It's different for smaller countries. 

dcro    2,479

Dutch decline everything in alpine skiing. Did not see that coming. :p

• Haha 1

heywoodu    2,990
1 minute ago, dcro said:

Dutch decline everything in alpine skiing. Did not see that coming. :p

Yeah that was not even a question or something :p 

JoshMartini007    123
1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Some nations only want athletes that will perform well (Netherlands) or that they feel they have a too easy path due to essentially free continental spots (New Zealand and South Africa). Money is usually the issue too, most sporting budgets are small and funding is sometimes based on how well athletes perform (so an athlete performing poorly may bring in less money than no one competing at all).

Then there are the times where the qualified athlete is injured.

Edited by JoshMartini007

De_Gambassi    262
il y a 27 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Because plenty of major countries don't want to send athletes without realistic chances of finishing at least in decent positions (I would perfectly understand Norway, Germany, USA etc not sending an alpine skier who never really came close to the top-20 for example). It's different for smaller countries. 

I'll never understand that logic. The Olympics are not just about medals. Sport is not just about the very top, participation is a key factor also. Federations and NOC should care about that too.

Besides, it's not like potential medallists are schoolboys that somehow will get deconcentrated by the "bad pupils".

• Like 2

heywoodu    2,990
37 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I'll never understand that logic. The Olympics are not just about medals. Sport is not just about the very top, participation is a key factor also. Federations and NOC should care about that too.

Besides, it's not like potential medallists are schoolboys that somehow will get deconcentrated by the "bad pupils".

I still understand it depends on the sport and nation. The Netherlands declining a skeleton quota would be rather bad, since the athlete is actually a potential medal outsider (or at least top-6), whereas declining alpine skiing quotas is more logical in the Dutch case, since I highly doubt it would work as a motivating factor for our youth when a slalom skier comes in 36th or something. They don't have unlimited money, so choices have to be made. I do think the criteria are too strict sometimes, but I do understand they exist.

Agger    369
2 hours ago, Quasit said:

Denmark has always had some pretty high demands to qualify. I don't quite know what they were in alpine skiing, but I know that in cross-country you needed to go below 100 FIS-points twice in a World Cup or World Champs to get the spot.