website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

What would be the alternative concerning alternates? Lets say one country uses both alternates and the other country uses no alternate, then one country would get 6 medals and the other would get 4, would be a bit inconsistent for me. This leaves only one option left, handing out medals to everyone. In my opinion the rule should be that you can only use alternates if someone gets injured.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

54 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

What would be the alternative concerning alternates? Lets say one country uses both alternates and the other country uses no alternate, then one country would get 6 medals and the other would get 4, would be a bit inconsistent for me. This leaves only one option left, handing out medals to everyone. In my opinion the rule should be that you can only use alternates if someone gets injured.

I mean that's what they do in speed skating, short track and figure skating: if you compete you get a medal, if you're a non-competing alternate you don't get a medal.

It's also the rule in hockey, last Olympics Switzerland only got 20 bronze medals in women's hockey because one of their goaltender was never dressed.

Edited by NearPup

22 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I mean that's what they do in speed skating, short track and figure skating: if you compete you get a medal, if you're a non-competing alternate you don't get a medal.

It's also the rule in hockey, last Olympics Switzerland only got 20 bronze medals in women's hockey because one of their goaltender was never dressed.

That's just bad coaching. Surely there's a moment somewhere where you can give a goaltender 5 seconds on the ice? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 11 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Yep, too bad Austria has no chance of beating Sweden :( 

Well, both Liensberger and gallhuber were a lot better than expected,

but I admit, my predictions were a bit pessimistic,

although I still think sweden was the clear favorite in that duel. Anyway, my point that one of the best teams was eliminated early because of a bad bracket stands. 

I’m still against team events in Olympics, especially if majority of the top skiers even bother to show.

Feierabend and Aerni (for not even  skiing) now have the same amount of gold medals as Vonn and Goggia. Laughable. It makes winning an Olympic medal much less of a prestige and if Ryding and Tilley properly prepared for it they could have won a medal coupling with two scrubs.