website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

11 minutes ago, Nate River said:

Lol, Switzerland could have handed someone a free gold medal (they only had one alternate).

Would someone get gold without actually racing? I mean, in the short track relay you get no medal when you don't race.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Would someone get gold without actually racing? I mean, in the short track relay you get no medal when you don't race.

They sure would! Just need to list them as an alternate (max is two alternates).

Isn't it just great how consistent the rules are re: who gets medals and who is allowed to stand on the podium (lol @ swimming and athletics where some of the medal winning athletes aren't allowed to be on the podium) from sport to sport?

Edited by NearPup

2 minutes ago, Nate River said:

They sure would! Just need to list them as an alternate (max is two alternates).

Isn't it just great how consistent the rules are re: who gets medals and who is allowed to stand on the podium (lol @ swimming and athletics where some of the medal winning athletes aren't allowed to be on the podium) from sport to sport?

Interesting. I'm actually not sure what my position on it is:

- On one hand, an alternate or reserve didn't actively take part in the competition itself, which is what lead to the medal

- On the other hand, an alternate or reserve is definitely a part of a team, and in a team event, that's kind of important (just like in football the bench sitters are just as much part of the team

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting. I'm actually not sure what my position on it is:

- On one hand, an alternate or reserve didn't actively take part in the competition itself, which is what lead to the medal

- On the other hand, an alternate or reserve is definitely a part of a team, and in a team event, that's kind of important (just like in football the bench sitters are just as much part of the team

I don't know how to feel about it either. They should just have a timed qualification race where everyone at least gets to touch snow :p

...I do know how I feel about athletics and swimming relay only having the athletes who raced in the finals on the podium: that's complete BS and needs to be changed.

1 minute ago, Nate River said:

I don't know how to feel about it either. They should just have a timed qualification race where everyone at least gets to touch snow :p

...I do know how I feel about athletics and swimming relay only having the athletes who raced in the finals on the podium: that's complete BS and needs to be changed.

Yep, athletes who races the heats should be on the podium too (but athletes who were reserves and didn't actually start...nah).

Mixed Team Event

1. Switzerland :SUI(Denise Feierabend, Wendy Holdener, Luca Aerni, Daniel Yule, Ramon Zenhaeusern),

2. Austria :AUT(Stephanie Brunner, Katharina Gallhuber, Katharina Liensberger, Manuel Feller, Michael Matt, Marco Schwartz),

3. Norway :NOR(Nina Haver-Loeseth, Kristin Lysdahl, Maren Skjoeld, Sebastian Foss-Solevaag, Leif Kristian Nestvold-Haugen, Jonathan Nordbotten)

Full Results HERE

Alpine+Skiing+Winter+Olympics+Day+15+iXg

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

So if I noticed correctly, Aerni, Brunner, Feller, Skjoeld and Nordbotten all get medals without entering a single race? :p

Feller raced twice I think, others yes. Not sure why they can’t get them at least in one race, I’m sure they can use them in a dead rubber or against a bad country even if they’re that bad which they’re not.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb EselTheDonkey:

Indeed, with the exception of Dreßen this was the best performance of German alpine skiers during these Games.

Overall very disappointing results in alpine skiing, of course the absence of Luitz and Neureuther didnt help. On the mens side i am quite optimistic. Dreßen, Schmid, Luitz and Strasser should form a good team in 4 years, but on the womens side ... it looks really bad.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.