website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

Team GB beats Team USA by 0,19 seconds :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

No, that was Maroty. 

Ah yeah, luckily she'll ski against Holdener so she has a chance :):p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, uk12points said:

No way!!! That's crazy! So glad we decided to send a team, Ryding and Tilley could carry this team a bit further! 

Hot take: Great Britain beating the USA isn’t an upset considering the lineup.

Edited by NearPup

2 minutes ago, uk12points said:

No way!!! That's crazy! So glad we decided to send a team, Ryding and Tilley could carry this team a bit further! 

That's not crazy, that's sort of expected :p 

I mean, historically speaking it's crazy, but at the moment it's what one'd expect.

Just now, Nate River said:

Hot take: Great Britain beating the UK isn’t an upset considering the lineup.

Great Britain beating the UK is quite the performance, I must say.

7 hours ago, Gigs said:

I get it, every freakin sport needs a team event nowadays so alpine skiing needs one too. But at one point the fis has to decide whether they want to make a team event which represents the strength of the whole alpine skiing team, or a team event which represents the strength of the nations slalom (or rather parallel slalom) team. Because right now the fis behaves as if the former was the case while everyone with a brain sees in fact the latter is. This leeds to the stupid situation that for the 2nd year in a row one quarter final of the team event will be Austria vs Sweden, or said differently a duel between two of the top favorites while one of the other quarter finals will probably be Italy vs France. Those two teams might have great alpine skiing teams, but their slalom teams this year are simply nowhere near the ones of Austria and Sweden. I actually calculated what a slalom nation world cup would look like and it would be 1.) Austria 2.) Switzerland 3.) Norway and 4.) Sweden. However Norway would only be in front of Sweden because of Jansrud's 15 points which he got at a city event just for starting which brings up the question why the hell points like that are taken into consideration for making the bracket for this event too. Still taking this order to determine the duels for the team event would be so much fairer. I really think Austria has a team with medal potential, but I just don't see how on earth they could beat Sweden as long as no Swedish skier makes a huge mistake. 

Btw, I don't want to behave as if this problem only exists for Austria. Ofc Sweden is unlucky too to have such a strong opponent early on (although it's imo not as bad for them since I think no team other than Switzerland has a half decent chance of beating them anyway) and Switzerland will also have a pretty strong opponent in Germany or maybe even Slovakia. Talking of Slovakia, too bad for them Vlhova won two races, cause without those 200 points they swap places with Canada and all of a sudden Slovakia has a good chance to get into the semi final. (at least if Velez Zuzulova is in a half decent shape now, otherwise they don't have a chance anyway) 

I know the fis is currently trying to renew alpine skiing but why the hell can't they use their brain for once. They are making so many stupid things it's unbelievable. Can't wait for the first major championships where we'll have a slalom, a parallel slalom, and a parallel slalom team event, but no super-g and no combined. 

They should really have times qualifications to decide the bracket.