website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Dunadan:

The main Italian sports newspaper, La Gazzetta dello Sport, predicted 13 medals (4-5-4) in their preview on 9th February. I'm not subscribed to their digital edition, so here's a picture. They have been quite accurate until now in guessing the medallists

https://imgur.com/a/clyqp

(their predicted medallists:

Moioli, Fontana, Brignone, team sprint,

Goggia, Paris, short track Relay, Wierer, Lollobrigida,

Tumolero, biathlon mixed Relay, Fischnaller, Kostner)

Windisch won a medal instead of Wierer and Pellegrino won it individually and not in the team sprint, but you can see that even Tumolero was an expected medallist.

My point is: many expected these results in Italy, even the NOC president set a goal of "more than 10 medals, 3 golds".

Ok, thanks i am very surprised then. I am ok with the expected medals overall, but the number of expected golds really surprises me. For me there were 4 gold medal chances for Italy at best, so expecting 3 golds didn't seem very realistic to me.

Gracenote expected 1 gold and 6 medals in total for Italy, USA Today expected 1 gold and 11 medals in total.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

37 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Ok, so if you need to insult people, you are clearly out of arguments. Where did i say that top 3 in world cup have to win the medals? I just disagreed that someone who is the 4th most likely to medal (Brignonen, Tumulero) should be called "medal favorite" that is all, but apparently you think differently. I understand your confusion, i wanted to say that the only disappointments so far were "Visintin and Wierer in the individual", sorry about that. Calling Windisch a surprising medallist and then saying that him not winning a medal (in the individual) was a disappointment would have made no sense indeed ...

I didn' t want to insult you, i' m sorry if yuo felt that, it' s not easy for me explain exactly what i mean in correct English, we simply have two different ways of considering the results of these races.....

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Haha, i knew that you would say that, you are really crazy. Noone predicted Italy to win so many medals and the part about Moioli is almost comical. You won pretty much every medal you were expected to win (except for Visintin) and even a couple more (shorttrack relay, Windisch, biathlon team relay, Tumulero), baffled to see someone not calling that overperforiming. Before the games you had 2-3 gold medal chances and now you have already 3, so no objective observer would say that you didn't have (almost) perfect results so far. If this really isn't overperforming, then there must be some websites out there that predicted this result.

frankly, winning almost all the expected medals is not overperforming to me...

overperforming means going well beyonds your limits, doing something you never did before...

so, Ceccarelli (who had never won a WC race before) winning the Gold medal in Salt Lake City 2002 was clearly "overperforming"...

being among the 4/5 best teams in a competition and then winning a medal is not overperforming, it's just taking advantage of an expected chance, which could have gone either way but luckily went the right way...

being 1 of the 2 clear favourites and winning the gold is definitely not overperforming...it's just 1 of the 2 options for "filling the contract" (and the entire world -at least those who carefully follow the sports in which they are involved through the entire 4-year span, if not for longer- knew that Goggia and Fontana were in this situation)...

but this is just my opinion...so, I guess it's not necesarily the revealed truth...we can even disagree and still live well with that...;)

and about Moioli...if someone who's just won 4 of the 6 regular races of the season (not counting the summer warm-ups in South America nor the farce named "sprint race" in Bansko) included the last 2 not later than 2 weeks before the Games (and who's been 3rd in the other 2 events she didn't win) and has a more than 1000 points lead in the World Cup standings can't be considered the clear and only real favourite of a competition, I don't know who can be called in that way...

p.s. those are facts...not just simple opinions of a biased sports fan...and there's nothing comical about numbers...:evil:

p.p.s. Gracenote and USA Today never follow the sport...they just read the WC standings and adjust them to their taste, without any technical consideration...:whistle::facepalm:

the only results they get are those the favourite (if there's one) or their darlings win...otherwise they are basically useless...

Edited by phelps

vor 49 Minuten schrieb Andry84:

I didn' t want to insult you, i' m sorry if yuo felt that, it' s not easy for me explain exactly what i mean in correct English, we simply have two different ways of considering the results of these races.....

Then what exactly did you want to do with "It' s impossible to talk with you, you are Always wrong, i don't know if you are a Young boyor simply you don' t follow sports ..."?

I agree that we have different ways of viewing results, but why didn't you just say that from the beginning? For both of us "surprise" seems to mean something very different, but that's ok. Before you discuss about something, you should always be clear that all people involve use the same definition, otherwise misunderstandings like that happen. It is nice that you admitted that you were wrong, hopefully we can lead many more good discussions in the future. :)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 30 Minuten schrieb phelps:

frankly, winning almost all the expected medals is not overperforming to me...

overperforming means going well beyonds your limits, doing something you never did before...

so, Ceccarelli (who had never won a WC race before) winning the Gold medal in Salt Lake City 2002 was clearly "overperforming"...

being among the 4/5 best teams in a competition and then winning a medal is not overperforming, it's just taking advantage of an expected chance, which could have gone either way but luckily went the right way...

being 1 of the 2 clear favourites and winning the gold is definitely not overperforming...it's just 1 of the 2 options for "filling the contract" (and the entire world -at least those who carefully follow the sports in which they are involved through the entire 4-year span, if not for longer- knew that Goggia and Fontana were in this situation)...

but this is just my opinion...so, I guess it's not necesarily the revealed truth...we can even disagree and still live well with that...;)

and about Moioli...if someone who's just won 4 of the 6 regular races of the season (not counting the summer warm-ups in South America nor the farce named "sprint race" in Bansko) included the last 2 not later than 2 weeks before the Games (and who's been 3rd in the other 2 events she didn't win) and has a more than 1000 points lead in the World Cup standings can't be considered the clear and only real favourite of a competition, I don't know who can be called in that way...

p.s. those are facts...not just simple opinions of a biased sports fan...and there's nothing comical about numbers...:evil:

p.p.s. Gracenote and USA Today never follow the sport...they just read the WC standings and adjust them to their taste, without any technical consideration...:whistle::facepalm:

the only results they get are those the favourite (if there's one) or their darlings win...otherwise they are basically useless...

Thanks for that very thoughtful response! I agree about Goggia and i don't think i said something different. Her and Vonn had to be considered the favorites for sure. I don't agree about Fontana though, i would like to know why you considered her one of the 2 clear favorites, although she didn't win a single world cup this season and she is only 3rd in the 500 m world cup and 10th in both the 1000 m and 1500 m world cup. I don't follow shorttrack really religiously, but according to the world cup results i think that Boutin and Choi Min-jeong were the clear favorites, they won 8 out of 12 world cups. I would also be interested to know why you based your opinion concerning Moioli on the world cup results but not your opinion about Fontana? You are probably right about Moioli, although i still think you were exaggerating a bit, it sounded as if she was the biggest favorite at the whole olympic games and could only lose gold if she completely messed up.

we're not overperforming.....I don't see the medals of Fischnaller in luge,I don't see the medal of team realy of luge,I don't see the medal of Goggia in superg,I don't see the medal of visintin,I don't see the medal of wierer in biathlon,I don't see any medal from man alpine skier,I don't see the medal of team sprint in cross country (I didn't expected the medal in single sprint).and many others medal could come.this imagine is all the world cup's podium in this season.if we have all this podium this means that we had a lot of chanches to get medal
image.png.8c1e82e8ff80debf0a55c0d859cf6327.png

up to now my vote to olympics is about 5,5

Edited by stamura84

vor 27 Minuten schrieb stamura84:

we're not overperforming.....I don't see the medals of Fischnaller in luge,I don't see the medal of team realy of luge,I don't see the medal of Goggia in superg,I don't see the medal of visintin,I don't see the medal of wierer in biathlon,I don't see any medal from man alpine skier,I don't see the medal of team sprint in cross country (I didn't expected the medal in single sprint).and many others medal could come.this imagine is all the world cup's podium in this season.if we have all this podium this means that we had a lot of chanches to get medal
image.png.8c1e82e8ff80debf0a55c0d859cf6327.png

up to now my vote to olympics is about 5,5

I think medal of Goggia in superg, medal of man alpine skier would have surprise, also medal of team sprint, medal of luge relay. Not medal of Visintin, Wierer was surprise. Not medal of Fisch was 50/50. What does table tell? Italy only 11, but when i wrote they top 10, so better (now Japan gold in speed skating, so now Italy 11).

Edit: Table also says Uzebkistan, Chile, Israel medal, so must be wrong. :yes

Edited by OlympicsFan

33 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think medal of Goggia in superg, medal of man alpine skier would have surprise, also medal of team sprint, medal of luge relay. Not medal of Visintin, Wierer was surprise. Not medal of Fisch was 50/50. What does table tell? Italy only 11, but when i wrote they top 10, so better (now Japan gold in speed skating, so now Italy 11).

Edit: Table also says Uzebkistan, Chile, Israel medal, so must be wrong. :yes

misha ge in Figure skating for UZB, Ohaco in freestyle slopestyle for CHI,bychenko in Figure skating for ISR.this table is all ok.
meanwhile I aspected between 10 and 20 medals for us.we're still at 9.so I can't be happy for now