website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

Just now, heywoodu said:

They're not, not even a little bit. In fact I think one gold and bronze is (a little, one medal or something) less than what one could realistically have hoped for after the currently finished events. 

I don’t know, other than Paris maybe sneaking a medal in DH? Brignone is still a huge favorite for combined medal tomorrow, but she looked in pain after that fall today, same as Gisin, so not sure what to expect.

Gross and Moellg realistically have no chance for a medal considering their recent form, but it’s just one race so one of them could sneak on the podium if other favorites make mistakes.

Just now, Shiffrin said:

I don’t know, other than Paris maybe sneaking a medal in DH? Brignone is still a huge favorite for combined medal tomorrow, but she looked in pain after that fall today, same as Gisin, so not sure what to expect.

Gross and Moellg realistically have no chance for a medal considering their recent form, but it’s just one race so one of them could sneak on the podium if other favorites make mistakes.

In the events that have finished now, I had them for a combined total of 338% for a medal :p (and 108% for gold, so that one came out right)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

How is Italy overperforming if I may ask? At least in alpine skiing, Goggia was a favorite for 1st or 2nd place and Brignone was one of the contenders for the medal. Even Dominik’s 4th place is not a surprise.

Who said that they are overperforming?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

Who said that they are overperforming?

Umm, you?

Another gold for Italy and another surprising medal for Norway, those 2 must be among the 3 most overperforming countries here, together with Czech Republic probably.”

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

Umm, you?

Another gold for Italy and another surprising medal for Norway, those 2 must be among the 3 most overperforming countries here, together with Czech Republic probably.”

Good, so now that we know that you are able to quote, why didn't you quote the person who said it, if you were interested in a discussion?

Did i say they overperformed in alpine skiing? No. \end discussion

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Good, so now that we know that you are able to quote, why didn't you quote the person who said it, if you were interested in a discussion?

Did i say they overperformed in alpine skiing? No. \end discussion

Still Italy has been mediocre these Olympics, where did they overperform then?

Edited by Shiffrin

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

You also mentioned Germany not winning any medal in the post connecting to that statement, so anyone would assume you’re talking about alpine skiing exclusively.

Anyway, I agree to end the discussion here :)

Just for clarification:

Are you talking about this:

"Norway probably has won half a dozen surprising medals by now, while Germany didn't win any so far"

This was Norway's 6th medal (= half a dozen) in alpine skiing, so what you are trying to say is that you think that i wanted to say that all of Norway's medals in alpine skiing were surprises? That would be the only logical explanation for your comment, but i think noone seriously would think that anyone would call Kristoffersen's medal or the medals for Jansrud/Svindal surprising (i predicted most of them actually), so i am really irritated how anyone could possibly think that i was talking about alpine skiing only, but ok ...

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Just for clarification:

Are you talking about this:

"Norway probably has won half a dozen surprising medals by now, while Germany didn't win any so far"

This was Norway's 6th medal (= half a dozen) in alpine skiing, so what you are trying to say is that you think that i wanted to say that all of Norway's medals in alpine skiing were surprises? That would be the only logical explanation for your comment, but i think noone seriously would think that anyone would call Kristoffersen's medal or the medals for Jansrud/Svindal surprising (i predicted most of them actually), so i am really irritated how anyone could possibly think that i was talking about alpine skiing only, but ok ...

I re-read the post, realized my error and edited the post, but not fast enough it seems.

Edited by Shiffrin

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

I re-read the post, realized my error and edited the post, but not fast enough it seems.

Good, always nice to lead a civilized discussion. It's just sad when people clearly refer to one of your comments without quoting you, it shows that they are clearly not interested in a discussion, so you have to ask yourself why they are even here. Probably my comment wasn't clear enough, so i am sorry for that. Hopefully we can lead some good discussions in the future, given that you seem to be a true expert about alpine skiing (probably other sports as well, but i think you are not as active in other parts of this forum, so hard to tell for now). :)