website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

44 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing compared to BBC's freestyle skiing commentator, who is supposed to eat his underpants because of Maggie Voisin's score not being good enough for 1st place after her run :p 

A hat is funny, but underpants...

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Snowboarding (5)

61- Czech Republic will win at least one Gold Medal. [YES/NO]

:mumble:

It would be quite something if she won alpine gold, but no snowboarding gold. That'd make people who bet YES mad :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

And someone uploaded a compilation of commentators reactions of Ledecka winning moment in a few languages..

https://youtu.be/KbdNolqflFs

Funny, I did that not long after the race. I watched her run again and again with different languages on Eurosport player. :lol:

#banbestmen

vor 9 Stunden schrieb phelps:

really...

surely, in downhill not coming back home with a medal (actually, the Gold medal) would be a huge fail...but also in super-G the expectations were high...

with Stuhec out of contention, Goggia is right now the most inconsistent but by far the quickest skier in the world...only Vonn at her best (but only on certain kind of track and course design, with no heavy, difficult turns to the right, since her left knee is no longer the one it used to be) can keep up with her...IF she doesn't make very big mistakes...

unfortunately, it happens once every too few times (and never at big events like Worlds and Olympics)...I mean, Goggia not making big mistakes...

she would/should have easily won this...:facepalm::wall:

and of course, she should (now...she MUST) win the downhill by literally seconds, not fractions...

but once again, I'm never optimistic with her...

meanwhile, Schnarf and Brignone did a very good race...I don't think the they could have done better than this (especially Brignone...on such a track she's not big, heavy enough to manage the very many flat sections)...pity for Johanna, who was already 4th in Vancouver 8 years ago (and missed the Sochi Games because of injuries)...

Comedy? Someone that "passionate" can't be really losing interest in the olympics ...

Not coming home with a gold would be a huge fail? Vonn has been on at least the same level recently, add in Weirather, Gut and Veith and Goggia could easily miss out on a medal. It hope you meant that only current peak Vonn can compete with Goggia? All-time peak Vonn is on a completely other level than Goggia, it's not even close ...

I would say:

Top favorites: Vonn, Goggia

Other serious medal contenders: Gut, Weirather, Veith (maybe Gisin)

I would guess that on 8 out of 10 days either Vonn or Goggia should win the downhill.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

It’s really a shame that no one had a perfect run, especially since this are the Olympics, and Ledecka mostly won due to Gut, Weirather, Goggia and Vonn all had 3 fast sections and 1 slow/erratic section.

But it is what it is, at the end she was the fastest and deserves this for the best overall race, even though even she claims it was “lucky”.