website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

What i just thought about:

Could this be the first time since 1984 that Austria will finish with only one individual medallist and without an individual medal on the women's side?

Also interesting: Mikaela Shiffrin could become the 5th woman to defend her olympic title and the first to do so in the slalom.

The previous 4 were Janica Kostelic (alpine combined 2002/2006), Maria Höfl-Riesch (alpine combined 2010/2014), Katja Seizinger (downhill gold 1994/1998), Deborah Compagnoni (giant slalom gold 1994/1998). By doing this research i also realized that many people might underestimate Janica Kostelic and Katja Seizingern.

Katja Seizinger retired at the age of 27, after winning 3 olympic golds, 2 olympic bronze medals, 2 overall world cup titles and 11 crytal globes in total.

Janica Kostelic retired at the age of 25, after winning 4 olympic golds, 2 olympic silver medals, 3 overall world cup titles and 10 crytal globes in total.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

What i just thought about:

Could this be the first time since 1984 that Austria will finish with only one individual medallist and without an individual medal on the women's side?

I'd say that Veith will have a chance to medal in SG :d 

Edited by Майкл

vor 24 Minuten schrieb dcro:

Rumour has it that Hirscher might retire. :yikes:

Immediately? I think it was pretty clear that he wouldn't go for another olympics, so after this olympics probably might be the best time. At least that openes up the way for Neureuther to win 2022 olympic gold in the slalom.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, Майкл said:

But the chance she doesn't medal is bigger, I think :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

In contrast to GS, 8-15 slalom skiers are so far behind the top group. I mean, look how subpar Loeseth has been for the past season, yet she’s able to rack up Top10 results and is no way in danger of losing the spot in the top group.

I think there is a rather simple explanation: If you want to be good in the slalom, it's very hard to be also top in any other disciplines (maybe except for the giant slalom), but if you are top in the giant slalom, it's easier to be also top in the two speed disciplines, so it seems only smart to not concentrate on slalom. I used to think that this diminishes Shiffrin's legacy, but with her improvements in downhill, super-g and giant slalom that changed. Everyone sees that she is not a generational slalom talent, but a generational alpine skiing talent.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Майкл:

Yes, but i don't expect her to win a medal. As long as Weirather wins gold, i don't care much about the rest.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb pjwasz:

USA broadcast said that Mikaela was vomiting just a few minutes before her run, although she said that it felt more like a virus then nerves. 

Very clever to lose weight right ahead of the race, probably copied it from the wrestlers and boxers.