website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

The reason for Aerni’s casual attire at the training:

There was an interview with Luca Aerni. He was sick last week and wanted to stay in bed. But then the coach called him and said, he has to get on the skis, it looks like there is not another training for the combination, so he has to do the trainings run on thursday, otherwise he could not start. They agreed, that he would just start in a normal ski jacket and pants, not in the race suit. Then he got in trouble at the start, because the judge there thought, he is just some random tourist, who stole the starting numbers

(copied from some FB group)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Gigs:

This is getting annoying. If they can't make the combined tomorrow the organizers are in big troubles. 

I agree, it's hard to get an olympic feeling when everything is potsponed or takes place at the same time. For me there is basically 3-4 hourse of olympics every day, which is sad, considering that for example during the London olympics i watched every day from roughly 8 am to about 10 pm.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

The reason for Aerni’s casual attire at the training:

There was an interview with Luca Aerni. He was sick last week and wanted to stay in bed. But then the coach called him and said, he has to get on the skis, it looks like there is not another training for the combination, so he has to do the trainings run on thursday, otherwise he could not start. They agreed, that he would just start in a normal ski jacket and pants, not in the race suit. Then he got in trouble at the start, because the judge there thought, he is just some random tourist, who stole the starting numbers

(copied from some FB group)

Haha great story, if this would have happened back in 2014, officials probably would have put him in jail.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Hands up if you think the alpine combined is going to happen tomorrow. Just as a matter of illustration: I'm keeping my hands down. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 1 Stunde schrieb heywoodu:

Hands up if you think the alpine combined is going to happen tomorrow. Just as a matter of illustration: I'm keeping my hands down. 

I have no hope, i just hope they call it off earlier this time, so that i don't have to wake up for it. Eurosport commentator today was pretty sure that the race would take place, but who knows, maybe he just wanted people to turn on their TV ...

I'm reading however that they will attempt to have this race held at any cost. And that includes shortening both downhill and slalom runs. :facepalm: Also, the last possible start time is 14:00 local time, meaning that they will probably have million delays before they decide to cancel it (if necessary)...

#banbestmen

last news are about a team meeting at 2.30 CET (10.30 am local time), where all decision will be taken...

the most consistent hypothesis is to start the downhill from the lower (super-G) gate at 2 p.m. local time and delay the slalom at 6 p.m. local (starting from the women's gate)...

by rule, they have to end all men's speed events by Friday, so, if there won't be any combined event tomorrow, there won't be any at all (and it would be the first time in the Olympic history that an alpine skiing event on the Games program wouldn't be held)...

p.s. however, it happened at the World Ski championships in Japan (Morioka 1993)...

that time the men's super-G was not contested because of the persisting bad weather during those champs...

1 minute ago, phelps said:

by rule, they have to end all men's speed events by Friday, so, if there won't be any combined event tomorrow, there won't be any at all (and it would be the first time in the Olympic history that an alpine skiing event on the Games program wouldn't be held)...

Wait, so if weather hypothetically remains bad through Friday, it's possible that none of the men's speed events will be held just like that? :yikes:

#banbestmen