website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey NHL 2017 - 2018

phelps

Congrats to the Toronto Marlies for the AHL Calder Cup title. :champion: and Congrats Martin Marinčin who became the 11th Slovak to win the AHL :cheer:

list of SVK players winning Calder Cup

Spoiler

2018 Martin Marinčin (Toronto Marlies)

2013 Tomáš Tatar, Tomáš Jurčo (Grand Rapids Griffins)

2012 Jaroslav Janus, Richard Pánik (Norfolk Admirals)

2008 Boris Valábik (Chicago Wolves)

2003 Rastislav Pavlikovský (Houston Aeros)

1998 Marin Červeň (Philadelphia Phantoms)

1991 Jerguš Bača (Springfield Indians)

1989 Miroslav Ihnačák (Adirondack Red Wings)

1978 Rudolf Tajcnár (Maine Mariners)

938x452.jpg

2018 Calder Cup Final

Game #7 Boxscore

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1018336

Game #7 Highlights

The Marlies have brought a professional hockey championship to Toronto.

Andreas Johnsson and Mason Marchment each scored twice and Garret Sparks made 29 saves as the Marlies defeated the Texas Stars, 6-1, to win their first Calder Cup and capture the first men’s pro hockey title in the city since 1967.

In the first Game 7 in a Calder Cup Finals since 2003, Toronto weathered some early pressure from the Stars, with Sheldon Dries hitting the post on a chance three minutes in and Miro Aaltonen making a diving block at the crease to prevent Gavin Bayreuther from hitting a yawning cage.

The Marlies then took a 1-0 lead at the 10:41 mark of the first period when Johnsson crashed the net and banged home a feed from Carl Grundstrom for his ninth goal and league-leading 22nd point of the playoffs.

Marchment scored a huge goal with 17.2 seconds left in the first, getting open between the circles and burying a pass from Trevor Moore for his fifth goal of the postseason.

Toronto took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission while outshooting the Stars 19-7.

The Stars nearly cut the deficit in half midway through the second, but Sparks and his defenders managed to keep the puck out of the net off a goal-front scramble.

The Marlies carried their two-goal lead into the third, and added a big insurance tally at 3:35 when Johnsson set up Grundstrom for his eighth playoff goal, making it 3-0.

Austin Fyten was credited with the only Stars goal of the night, chipping the puck past Sparks during a swarm in front.

Johnsson’s second goal and third point of the evening made it 4-1 with 3:46 to play, and captain Ben Smith‘s empty-net goal set off the celebration in earnest.

Marchment added his second goal of the night in the final minute to cap the scoring.

Johnsson won the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the most valuable player of the Calder Cup Playoffs.

A 2013 draft choice by the Toronto Maple Leafs, the 23-year-old native of Gavle, Sweden, totaled 10 goals and 14 assists for a league-leading 24 points in 16 playoff appearances.

Led by general manager Kyle Dubas and head coach Sheldon Keefe, the Marlies – top development team of the NHL’s Maple Leafs – finished with the best record in the league during the regular season and then defeated the Utica Comets (3-2), Syracuse Crunch (4-0) and Lehigh Valley Phantoms (4-0) before eliminating Texas in seven games in the Finals.

At 37, Keefe is the youngest head coach to win the Calder Cup since Todd McLellan with the Houston Aeros in 2003.

Attendance at Ricoh Coliseum on Thursday night was 8,818, the seventh consecutive sellout of the Finals and the largest crowd ever for a Marlies game there.

A total of 6,961,349 fans attended AHL games in 2017-18, the third-highest total in league history.

Toronto’s victory brings an end to the AHL’s 82nd season.

In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 31 National Hockey League teams.

More than 87 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame spent time in the AHL in their careers.

NOTES:

The teams alternated wins over the entire series, with Toronto winning all of the odd-numbered games…

The Marlies never trailed in a series all postseason, and were 8-0 in games when a series was tied…

Toronto captain Ben Smith becomes the 126th player ever to win both the Calder Cup and the Stanley Cup (Chicago Blackhawks, 2013) in his career…

Colin Greening (Binghamton, 2011), Chris Mueller (Texas, 2014) and Vincent LoVerde (Manchester, 2015) all won the second Calder Cup of their careers…

Home teams are now 8-3 all-time in Calder Cup Finals Game 7’s…

This was Texas’s first-ever loss in a Game 7 (3-1)…

The 2018-19 regular season begins on Oct. 5.

2018 Calder Cup Finals (best-of-7) Recap

Game 1 – Sat., June 2 – Texas 5, TORONTO 6
Game 2 – Sun., June 3 – TEXAS 2, Toronto 1
Game 3 – Tue., June 5 – TORONTO 2, Texas 1
Game 4 – Thu., June 7 – Toronto 2, TEXAS 3
Game 5 – Sat., June 9 – TORONTO 6, Texas 2
Game 6 – Tue., June 12 – TEXAS 5, Toronto 2
Game 7 – Thu., June 14 – Texas 1, TORONTO 6

CREDITS: TheAHL.com

and with this one, it's really over...:cry:

the 2017/2018 season, which started back in August of last year, has just delivered the last match of the season...

I'm quite exhausted...I don't know how many games I've watched in these months, but they've been a monster number for sure...:evil:

I feel I really need a break...but I'm sure that in a week or so, I'm gonna be heavily depressed (I'm gonna have a real abstinence crisis) and very anxious about the new season to start...actually, I just can't wait for that right now...:rofl::facepalm:

my dear hockey fans...see you soon...:d:bye:

Hi, guys! I'm already back! :yikes::lol:

and this is because play on the ice might be over, but this is the week to honor the most successful people around the NHL for the dying season...

last night, in fact, the 2018 NHL Awards have been presented to the winners...and this is a short recap...

image.thumb.png.d2162c5580c4c1e8a919e0ce11cd0989.png

Hart Trophy (MVP): Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils

Ted Lindsay Award (Best Player as voted by NHLPA): Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers

Maurice Richard Trophy (Top Goal Scorer): Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

Vezina Trophy (Best Goaltender): Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators

Norris Trophy (Best Defenseman): Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning

Calder Trophy (Best Rookie): Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders

Jack Adams Award (Coach of the Year): Gerard Gallant, Vegas Golden Knights

General Manager of the Year: George McPhee, Vegas Golden Knights

more Awards (and details) here:

https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-awards-event

p.s. I don't agree with the MVP Award to Taylor Hall...but still...:zip:

Some more news around the NHL...

first, surprisingly Barry Trotz is no longer the head coach of the Stanley Cup Champions, the Washigton Capitals...

more about it, here:

https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechkin-surprised-barry-trotz-no-longer-with-washington-capitals/c-299148086

second, the NHL Salary Cap for the next season is expected to increase to 79.5/80 million US $, up from the 75 million US $ of the season just ended...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-salary-cap-expected-to-increase-next-season/c-299141082

here are, instead, some news on the expansion process of the upcoming 32nd NHL team (in Seattle) by the 2020/2021 season (if everything goes according to the plan)...

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-nhl-expansion-process-on-track/c-299141118

meanwhile here we go with a look ahead to the next season, since the NHL has released the 2018/2019 Home Openers for all the 31 teams...

the new season will start on the 3rd of October, with the nowadays "classic" quadruple-header (2 US match-ups and 2 Canadians match-ups, covering both the East and West Coast prime time)...

these are those games:

Boston Bruins @ Washington Capitals

Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs

Anaheim Ducks @ San Josè Sharks

Calgary Flames @ Vancouver Canucks

the full calendar of the 1271 Regular Season games will be released later today (5 p.m. ET, 11 p.m. CET), during a TV show on NHL Network...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-2018-19-home-openers-announced/c-299123382

finally, I remember the very last event of the 2017/2018 season, the NHL Draft, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday in Dallas (with the Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin unanimously expected to go no.1 overall and the Russian forward Andrei Svechnikov also unanimously stuck at no.2 overall)...

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-mock-draft-final-rasmus-dahlin-no-1/c-299112416

5 hours ago, phelps said:

Hi, guys! I'm already back! :yikes::lol:

and this is because play on the ice might be over, but this is the week to honor the most successful people around the NHL for the dying season...

last night, in fact, the 2018 NHL Awards have been presented to the winners...and this is a short recap...

image.thumb.png.d2162c5580c4c1e8a919e0ce11cd0989.png

Hart Trophy (MVP): Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils

Ted Lindsay Award (Best Player as voted by NHLPA): Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers

Maurice Richard Trophy (Top Goal Scorer): Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

Vezina Trophy (Best Goaltender): Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators

Norris Trophy (Best Defenseman): Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning

Calder Trophy (Best Rookie): Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders

Jack Adams Award (Coach of the Year): Gerard Gallant, Vegas Golden Knights

General Manager of the Year: George McPhee, Vegas Golden Knights

more Awards (and details) here:

https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-awards-event

p.s. I don't agree with the MVP Award to Taylor Hall...but still...:zip:

I'm so happy Victor Hedman won Norris trophy. Well-deserved. :clap:

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

Ovechkin´s season, Stanley Cup + 3 individual awards :bowdown:

Ru6oHzJOTIylEBduRL2t_A~Alexander-Ove-kin

I know he won Maurice Richard and Conn Smythe but which is the third individual trophy he won? Anyway Congrats Ovie for an amazing season.:clap:

Just now, Belle said:

I know he won Maurice Richard and Conn Smythe but which is the third individual trophy he won? Anyway Congrats Ovie for an amazing season.:clap:

Right, my fault, it wasn´t an individual award. The 4th trophy in the pic is the Prince of Wales trophy for Eastern conference winner :yes