website statistics

Auto Racing Discussion Thread

vlad

7 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Russian fans don't like Verstappen-father and Verstappen-son too after Kvyat's substitution:)

Kubica's crash was awful. I think anybody who saw this felt pain through the screen. After that maybe Webber's crash looked really scary. But he was absolutely OK

Well to be fair, that was just Kvyat's fault for making mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake during his Red Bull-time, although of course I would be mad too when my favourite driver makes too many mistakes and gets replaced :p 

I remember another crash that scared me somewhere in the last 10-15 years, but I don't exactly remember who it was. I know it was in Monaco (at the marina, the corner after the chicane after the tunnel). Suddenly the screen went to a car laying upside down against the barriers there :yikes: I believe it was a Sauber, when it still had the "classic" Sauber look :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

DRS hats, because Japan :bowdown:

5f13a8ed881c9c570ec025b679e42835.gif

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Rosberg trying to pass Verstappen in Montreal: ends up crying

Räikkönen trying to pass Verstappen in Spa: ends up crying

Hamilton trying to pass Verstappen in Suzuka: ends up crying

:d 

• 2 weeks later...

Some transfer news for next year in the world of motorsports.

In F1, two longtime veterans in Felipe Massa and Jenson Button will leave the series after this season, which opens the door for two powerhouse rookies from the smaller formulas to take their places. Stoffel Vandoorne (2012 F Renault 2.0 champion, 2013 F Renault 3.5 runner-up, 2014/15 GP2 runner-up and champion) will be Fernando Alonso's teammate at McLaren next year, while canadian Lance Stroll, who has been a champion the last 3 years (2014 Italian F4, 2015 Toyota Series, 2016 European F3), will take Massa's spot in Williams and will make a F1 debut at 18 years. He will be also the first canadian in F1 in over a decade since Jacques Villeneuve. 

In Superbike, legend Marco Melandri will return to racing after one year absence for Ducati. Also two people from Moto GP will jump ship, Eugene Laverty returns to Aprilia, while Stefan Bradl will make his debut with Honda.

In WRC 2017 will see the ruturn of Toyota to the championship. The first driver they have announced is finn Juho Hanninen, with countryman Esapekka Lappi on route for the second seat.

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Some transfer news for next year in the world of motorsports.

In F1, two longtime veterans in Felipe Massa and Jenson Button will leave the series after this season, which opens the door for two powerhouse rookies from the smaller formulas to take their places. Stoffel Vandoorne (2012 F Renault 2.0 champion, 2013 F Renault 3.5 runner-up, 2014/15 GP2 runner-up and champion) will be Fernando Alonso's teammate at McLaren next year, while canadian Lance Stroll, who has been a champion the last 3 years (2014 Italian F4, 2015 Toyota Series, 2016 European F3), will take Massa's spot in Williams and will make a F1 debut at 18 years. He will be also the first canadian in F1 in over a decade since Jacques Villeneuve. 

In Superbike, legend Marco Melandri will return to racing after one year absence for Ducati. Also two people from Moto GP will jump ship, Eugene Laverty returns to Aprilia, while Stefan Bradl will make his debut with Honda.

In WRC 2017 will see the ruturn of Toyota to the championship. The first driver they have announced is finn Juho Hanninen, with countryman Esapekka Lappi on route for the second seat.

There's really not a lot of doubt about Vandoorne's talent, but I am very curious about Stroll..I mean, F3 hasn't been very competitive in the past two seasons (no exception talent or something) and it's mostly because of his billionaire father that he will be in F1 already next year :p  Not seeing he doesn't have what it takes, clearly he is talented, but I doubt he is already good enough..

It will be weird to see F1 without Button, he was in F1 for almost 2/3 of my entire life and I can't imagine a season without him, one of the nicest guys on the grid and one of the most calm drivers out there :( Massa on the other hand..nah, I won't miss him for a second to be honest.

You forgot to mention Nico Hülkenberg has signed with Renault for next year, leaving a place open at Force India and one place left at Renault. Likely candidates for the Renault spot are of course current drivers Magnussen and Palmer, but they might also try and get Ocon or Wehrlein. I would be very surprised if the now open Force India spot doesn't go to one of the two Manor drivers because of the Mercedes connection, both drivers being in the Mercedes program and they're simply very talented (especially Ocon). 

Hopefully all this moving around means that the arguably biggest talent of them all (looking at the classes with young drivers), Antonio Giovinazzi, will get his chance in F1 next year, he absolutely deserves it :bowdown:

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Hopefully all this moving around means that the arguably biggest talent of them all (looking at the classes with young drivers), Antonio Giovinazzi, will get his chance in F1 next year, he absolutely deserves it :bowdown:

I would like to think, that if Kimi departed this year, they would have pulled the trigger and have him in Ferrari for 2017. If he wins GP2 which smaller F1 team can possibly get him for 2017? Sauber? Manor? Or he stays put in GP2 for another year if he doesn't win the championship and Gasly moves up.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

I would like to think, that if Kimi departed this year, they would have pulled the trigger and have him in Ferrari for 2017. If he wins GP2 which smaller F1 team can possibly get him for 2017? Sauber? Manor? Or he stays put in GP2 for another year if he doesn't win the championship and Gasly moves up.

Sauber would be pure hell..if it's not Manor then GP2 for another year is better..but the downside of that is that not winning the championship will be seen as not improving. I'm not a big fan of Gasly, but I guess Red Bull has a chance of testing him at TR and throw out Kvyat who has basically just not been performing well/consistent for most of his F1 time.

Some graphic designer has made some alternative liveries for F1 cars based on the helmets of the drivers and some of them look absolutely awesome :bowdown:

I've put them together in a Dutch article here, so you don't have to scroll through his millions of retweets on his Twitter account :p 

http://frontpage.fok.nl/nieuws/749774/1/1/50/zo-zien-f1-auto-s-gebaseerd-op-helmen-van-coureurs-eruit.html

If you prefer the Twitter account though, it's here:

https://twitter.com/timholmesdesign

I love the cars of Alonso, Button, Hamilton and Verstappen :hearts: