website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Olympic Sports Programme

Telemark is pretty much just a combination of alpine and cross-country skiing. Just like many other new winter events, it offers nothing new.

Winter Olympics already have way too many very similar events so I'm against adding anything new (aside from women's nordic combined, when it reaches a satisfactory level).

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...

The FIS has proposed the following for 2022 Winter Olympics inclusion

•  Ski Jumping Mixed Team Competition (3rd application)
  • ·Ladies’ Nordic Combined Individual Competition (gender equity)
  •  Freestyle Ski Big Air Men’s and Ladies’ (2nd application)

A further six events have been submitted to the 2018 FIS Congress for eventual proposal to the IOC:

·         Alpine Skiing Individual Parallel Event
·         Freestyle Ski Aerials Mixed Team Event
·         Snowboard Cross Team Event
·         Snowboard Mixed Team Parallel Event
·         Snowboard Parallel Slalom
·         Telemark Parallel Sprint and Team Parallel Sprint

Source

Surprised the FIS does not want to propose Dual Moguls!

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

A further six events have been submitted to the 2018 FIS Congress for eventual proposal to the IOC:

Source

This is all so sad. Especially the women's Nordic combined and the mixed events. And the team event in snowboard cross. And big air. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This is all so sad. Especially the women's Nordic combined and the mixed events. And the team event in snowboard cross. And big air. 

Big air seems reasonable... everything else sounds bad. The parallel slalom was already on the program and then removed in favour of big air. 

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Big air seems reasonable... everything else sounds bad. The parallel slalom was already on the program and then removed in favour of big air. 

I'd like to see the parallel slalom in snowboarding come back if it's to replace big air, which is soooo....short and uneventful. Especially the women's big air.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

My thoughts:

•  Ski Jumping Mixed Team Competition - I'd rather see them apply for a women's team competition or a women's large hill competition.
  • ·Ladies’ Nordic Combined Individual Competition - whatever, if not in 2022 it will be in for 2026. It's absolutely necessary to do this for the sport to stay in the Olympics.
  •  Freestyle Ski Big Air Men’s and Ladies’ - uses existing athletes (from slopestyle) and venue (from snowboard big air) so why not?

·         Alpine Skiing Individual Parallel Event - I'm okay with this as long as they don't remove any of the existing event (that noise about getting rid of the Super G has got to stop). It makes for a good TV event TBH.
·         Freestyle Ski Aerials Mixed Team Event - meh, the format is stupid.
·         Snowboard Cross Team Event - I actually really like this event.
·         Snowboard Mixed Team Parallel Event - never seen this event. Seems like an odd format.
·         Snowboard Parallel Slalom - I think removing the parallel slalom was a mistake (it uses the same venue and athletes as the PGS) so I'd definitively bring that back.
·         Telemark Parallel Sprint and Team Parallel Sprint - no idea how popular Telemark skiing is in Europe.

Edited by NearPup

4 minutes ago, Nate River said:

My thoughts:

•  Ski Jumping Mixed Team Competition - I'd rather see them apply for a women's team competition or a women's large hill competition.
  • ·Ladies’ Nordic Combined Individual Competition - whatever, if not in 2022 it will be in for 2026. It's absolutely necessary to do this for the sport to stay in the Olympics.

It's way too early to even think about a second women's competition in ski jumping, the one there is now isn't that competitive yet.

Women's Nordic combined will happen indeed, but when it mostly consists of girls who are in their early to mid teens and international competition has literally not even gotten off the ground yet (it's only going to start this season), going from below zero to adding it to the Olympics within four years is just an absolutely ridiculous idea.

23 hours ago, intoronto said:

Source

No speed skiing. :( It was a long shot to begin with, though I'm gutted all the same. But, if Sion wins the 2026 Games, they have a nearby venue (Verbier) that last hosted the World Cup four years ago. Fingers crossed!

Ladies' Nordic Combined really seems a shoe-in. I really don't like mixed teams all that much, I'd rather have a 3-person ladies' competition for ski jumping or something. Or even a ladies' large hill- I know they don't jump it as much in the World Cup, but they do on occasion, and they will likely do so more in the coming years. Big Air could be good but not nearly as interesting as Aerials.

Totally opposed to the freestyle and team events (except possibly snowboard cross) and alpine skiing parallels. They add nothing new. Telemark could be interesting somewhat. Not many people know what it is though. 

It would be interesting if the FIS proposed Grass Skiing for the Summer Olympics! :p 

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

On 11/19/2017 at 02:24, heywoodu said:

It's way too early to even think about a second women's competition in ski jumping, the one there is now isn't that competitive yet.

Women's Nordic combined will happen indeed, but when it mostly consists of girls who are in their early to mid teens and international competition has literally not even gotten off the ground yet (it's only going to start this season), going from below zero to adding it to the Olympics within four years is just an absolutely ridiculous idea.

For women's Nordic Combined it's a matter of 2022 or 2026, not a matter of if. I think it needs a couple world championships under it's belt, so I think 2026 would be better, but I can easily see the IOC hurry things along and add it for 2022 since it's the last remaining discipline in the Olympics (winter or summer) that doesn't have women. To be perfectly honest I don't care about Nordic Combined enough to have strong feelings either way. For the same reason I wouldn't be surprised at all if women's doubles luge gets added for 2022 despite never having been held at high level (or any levels, really), and if it doesn't get added I think it should make people worry about the future of doubles luge in general.

I do think women's Ski Jumping is ready for a second event, though. The caliber isn't nearly as high as men's Ski Jumping, sure, but it's comparable to a lot of winter sports and depth seems to be developing fast. You wouldn't even need to add any athletes to add a large hill event.

Edited by NearPup

• 2 weeks later...

FIE and the Italian equestrian federation decided to try to join in the Winter Olympics whit the snow polo :lol:

In 2017 the Wch was hosted by China and the podium was :ARG:HKG:RSA.

I don't know why Italy is the main member of the promotional committee.. we are a poor country in polo