Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

De_Gambassi

2026 Winter Olympic Games

De_Gambassi    271

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "2026 winter olympic games"

By July 2019 and the 134th IOC session (Milano), we will know where the 2026 Winter Olympic Games will be hold.

The bidding process is yet to be officially started, but two cities are for now considered as the front runners. Two cities with a very Agenda 2020 feeling (even more so Sion who proposes venues from Lausanne to St Moritz).

. Sion (SUI)

http://sion2026.ch/ (fr/de)

.Innsbruck (AUT)

http://www.olympia2026.at/ (de)

.Other Potential bidding cities : Lillehammer, Calgary, Salt Lake, Almaty, Gratz, etc.

What are your thoughts ? Is agenda going to save the Winter OG ?

EDIT: Innsbruck is dead after public vote

Edited by De_Gambassi

De_Gambassi    271

Speaking of Agenda 2020... Sion 2026 is even proposing to hold the speed skating events outside of the country, in Germany... or even in The Netherlands (in french) :yikes:.

The speed skating arena beeing the only venue Sion 2026 is missing. Could we see the first bidding candidate with zero venue needed to be buit ?

George_D    73

well i agree that olympic venue planning must be flexible but not to go beyond some limits (outside the country)

dcro    2,716
2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Speaking of Agenda 2020... Sion 2026 is even proposing to hold the speed skating events outside of the country, in Germany... or even in The Netherlands (in french) :yikes:.

That hardly makes sense. Lausanne will host speed skating competitions during 2020 WYOG.

De_Gambassi    271
il y a 27 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

That hardly makes sense. Lausanne will host speed skating competitions during 2020 WYOG.

Apparently, it'll only be a temporary venue. Which is also an option that Sion 2026 is looking at, alongside a foreign rink and an outdoor venue.

They will defintly not built a permanent speed skating rink in any case at least.

It's a trend the sliding sports and speed skating should be nervous of btw. If future WOG host cities are not even going to built new sliding or speed skating tracks, then what's left for the future of their sports (and for any possible expansion) ?

Edited by De_Gambassi

heywoodu    3,229

Sion, Innsbruck, potentially Lillehammer......I can't remember the last time I've had this high hopes for a Winter Olympics venue :cheer:

Almaty would be great too if they do not make the idiotic decision to destroy (build a roof over) the legendary Medeo ice track. Which they probably would, so, no Almaty then.

Edited by heywoodu

dcro    2,716
7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sion, Innsbruck, potentially Lillehammer......I can't remember the last time I've had this high hopes for a Winter Olympics venue :cheer:

Almaty would be great too if they do not make the idiotic decision to destroy (build a roof over) the legendary Medeo ice track. Which they probably would, so, no Almaty then.

As if Medeo is hosting anything these days... :p Besides, requirement for Olympics is indoor venue.

2022 bidding had Oslo/Stockholm/Krakow at this stage, so it's not like I can believe any European bid at this point. :d

Vojthas    59

What is the purpose of permament areas? I understand that they are cheap, but this way Olympics bring nothing new to the host country, as the infrastructure isn't developed with new venues, where young athletes could train. The idea of using existing venues only leads us to giving Olympics to the same cities till the end of the world as many countries has less energy to build new arenas without being sure that they will be used in highest level of competition.

heywoodu    3,229
17 minutes ago, dcro said:

As if Medeo is hosting anything these days... :p Besides, requirement for Olympics is indoor venue.

The speed skating at last winter's Winter Universiade was there and it was absolutely epic, the most beautiful speed skating competition I've ever seen :wub: (together with the world champs in Inzell in 200x, before they messed that up with a roof as well)

So please no Almaty then, it's not worth destroying a legendary venue. 

heywoodu    3,229

And Oslo/Stockholm/Krakow is at least ten levels of awesomeness lower than Sion/Innsbruck/Lillehammer :d 

dcro    2,716

Maybe Qatar can host it. Indoor bobsleigh, ski jumping etc. :lol:

USOC will decide in 2 weeks if they will bid for the 2026 Games, the choices are Denver, Salt Lake City or Reno-Tahoe (or possibly Reno-Tahoe-Vegas)

I think they will make a mistake, we already have the 2028 games and the 2026 FIFA World Cup, take a breather guys