website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

Biathlon in Livigno? :yikes:

Wind lottery incoming :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

naaa, for the Games, they would mount temporary stands around the stadium which should prevent that (at least partially)...

It'd be cool. I can already see my visit to the 2026 Olympics consist of travelling back and forth from the hotel to the biathlon to the Latteria for a big coupe of ice cream, back to the hotel to sleep aaaaand repeat. Livigno :wub:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

by the way, if I were the organizers, I'd have the following venues:

-Sliding Sports in Cortina (full rebuilding of the existing track)

-women's Alpine Skiing in Cortina

-Curling in Cortina

-Freestyle Big Air, Moguls and Aerials in Cortina (on the climb of the old and dismissed ski jumping hill originally built the for the 1956 Games, which is still there)

-men's Alpine Skiing in Bormio

-Cross-Country Skiing, Biathlon and Freestyle/Snowboard HP and Slopestyle in Livigno

-Snowboard Alpine disciplines and Snowboardcross/Skicross in Santa Caterina

-Skating (all disciplines) in Milan (speedskating in a permanent 365 days/year open to the public Oval to be built -beside the existing Forum Milanofiori would be perfect, Artistic Skating and Short Track at the Forum Milanofiori -existing and perfectly working already, Hockey in a new arena to be built -it will be built in any case, even if we won't host the Games and at the Agorà -already existing as the only real ice hockey stadium in the city, but of course for the Games it should be deeply renewed if not rebuilt completely)

-Ceremonies in Milan (San Siro stadium...no need to write anything else about it)

the only doubt remains between Predazzo and St.Moritz for Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined (as I wrote before, funding for the Cortina track are decisive for this choice)...

that's it...these would be "my" Games...

Edited by phelps

21 minuti fa, phelps ha scritto:

actually, according to the previous design (the 3-headed monster), the biathlon venue is going to be Livigno...and I don't think that's going to change...

moreover, I think Livigno is also going to host Cross-Country Skiing now, while Predazzo would host Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined (always if the St.Moritz idea is going to be dropped, which is not sure at all at the moment...it all depends on the funding for the Cortina track...if they re-build that, then the Swiss trip won't happen, but if they can't find all the money needed for the Cortina track -the most expensive sport structure of all Games- then there's no 3rd option, they have to keep St.Moritz involved -and they also already have Jumping Hills for Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined, which would keep Predazzo out of the project)...

as you can see, there are still quite a few things to be determined before we can have a proper idea of what's going to look like our new bid...

p.s. right now a meet between Malagò, the Milan and Cortina Mayors and Veneto and Lombardy Governors is underway...let's see what comes out from that...

I have different informations :mumble:

received_182525619310849.jpeg

well, it's not that different apart for Anterselva/Antholz (which is too isolated from the other venues and it would increase costs and travels for athletes and media...not that good for the Agenda 2020 rules) and the shameful management of the Valtellina events (frankly, CC in Santa Caterina would be a safe flop...and having the men's downhill on the Stelvio track would be something amazing)...;)

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

With the last news on political italian landscape and with the upcomming Calgary referendum, there is a decent chance the IOC is left with no candicdacy at all for 2026.

If so what do you believe would be the IOC actions ? 

More a less the same they did with YOG 2022 - Bach and his closest circle will offer the organisation of the Games to USA, firstly on backstage talk, then they will announce it to the extraordinary Session in February or March, when they'll get "yes" for further talks, which will be lead until the Lausanne Session in September, when there will be the rubberstamping vote. The USA wanted the Games in 2026, but they decided to concentrate on LA 2028 and postponed the winter plans for 2030, but if there will be no other solution, IOC will give much profit to them so that they could go on with both 2026 and LA 2028. That's how I see it.

2 hours ago, Vojthas said:

More a less the same they did with YOG 2022 - Bach and his closest circle will offer the organisation of the Games to USA, firstly on backstage talk, then they will announce it to the extraordinary Session in February or March, when they'll get "yes" for further talks, which will be lead until the Lausanne Session in September, when there will be the rubberstamping vote. The USA wanted the Games in 2026, but they decided to concentrate on LA 2028 and postponed the winter plans for 2030, but if there will be no other solution, IOC will give much profit to them so that they could go on with both 2026 and LA 2028. That's how I see it.

What a time to be American

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 ore fa, De_Gambassi ha scritto:

With the last news on political italian landscape and with the upcomming Calgary referendum, there is a decent chance the IOC is left with no candicdacy at all for 2026.

If so what do you believe would be the IOC actions ? 

not gonna happen...this new bid is damn serious and has a lot of chances to end up in a beautiful edition of the Olympic Games...

it would have been really different if we had to count on Turin and the National Government , made only of a bunch of idiots that can't even get back home by themselves -and I'm not talking of the "bad boy" Salvini and his (only apparently) racist party, but of course I'm referring to those cheaters named "5 Stelle" (5 Stars)...

without them, all things are not that tragic as they could seem from outside the Country (at least for what concerns this Olympic question...everyday life is just another issue, unfortunately)...