website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

1 minute ago, George_D said:

isnt too early for Canada again? only 16 years since Vancouver. On the contrary i think Canada should seek Summer Olympics

Honestly at this point I think "Country X wants to host it" is significantly more important than "Country X already hosted it 16-20-24-28 years ago" :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Honestly at this point I think "Country X wants to host it" is significantly more important than "Country X already hosted it 16-20-24-28 years ago" :p 

i wouldnt say that, Madrid wanted a lot to host summer olympics and was denied 3 consecutive times

5 minut temu, George_D napisał:

i wouldnt say that, Madrid wanted a lot to host summer olympics and was denied 3 consecutive times

There is a difference between number of candidates to host summer olympics and number of candidates to host winter olympics ;) Almost everybody wants to organized summer games, almost nobody wants winter.

Edited by Col_Frost

6 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I think as long as sliding track is needed, the future for Winter Olympic Games is dark.

Unless that plan of a while ago works: tracks covered with plastic of nearly the exact same characteristics as ice, that can be easily put in place and taken apart (and then even moved somewhere else, because it's modular) after it's not used anymore. The whole thing would be only 5-10% of the costs of a normal track.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 ore fa, Jan Linha ha scritto:

The risky thing is the season preparation for many athletes. Those in winter sports undergo tough physical trainings - gain the muscle, condition, etc. In autumn, final preparation for competing and december starts the season. Could you imagina that they would have to end previous season March and right away start prefect preparation for Olympics which would be held some time August/September and then prepare perfectly for the new season? This is kinda impossible. Many athletes would have to give up winter season for Olympics (might not be prepared enough) or they would give up Olympics and would participate usual world cup. This would be real mess in their common seasonal routine. 

I am not saying that South America is bad place for Winter Sports or Winter Olympics. But because its geaografical location it might br hard for most athletes to prepare for the games. 

actually the most ambitious and richest teams (AUT, SUI, GER, ITA, the Scandinavian Countries) already always spend their European Summer in South America to complete their training (ski testing is in March and April, meanwhile conditioning normally is in June and July and in August they already have to start the technical work on ski), since they can't use anymore the glaciers before September (thanks to global warming)...

so, I don't think that would be a real problem...as it's been written, the (sad) truth is just that those Countries supposed to host those events are not interested and don't want to waste money for what it is a "minor event" on their scale of interests...

6 ore fa, Olympian1010 ha scritto:

Unless Calagary gets the support they need. No offense to Italian users on here, but Italian bid is like a San Francisco street, full of s***. I don’t see it going anywhere because of Italy’s complex political situation and the inability of people to unite and rally behind the bid. Unlike in Calgary or Stockholm/Sigulda

don't worry, unfortunately you're right...:cry::facepalm:

in any case, this is already a "not Italian bid"...:whistle:

this is a pure Lombardy & Veneto regions bid...:evil:

if, for any reason, it's going to succeed, it would be only "our" (I'm a proud citizen of Milan, even if I'm against this bid) thing (Rome's government is only needed to approve the bid), with 100% local funding...and, as usual, 0 interest in the Country outside the usual 3 regions where Winter Sports are played and have their hardcore fans (apart for those very few exceptions, of course)...

and please, don't think I'm arrogant and harsh on my Country...it's only because I know very well how things works here (unfortunately I'm not that young anymore and I've seen a lot of those things really difficult to understand from outside Italy)...:pope::old:

Edited by phelps

6 hours ago, phelps said:

don't worry, unfortunately you're right...:cry::facepalm:

in any case, this is already a "not Italian bid"...:whistle:

this is a pure Lombardy & Veneto regions bid...:evil:

if, for any reason, it's going to succeed, it would be only "our" (I'm a proud citizen of Milan, even if I'm against this bid) thing (Rome's government is only needed to approve the bid), with 100% local funding...and, as usual, 0 interest in the Country outside the usual 3 regions where Winter Sports are played and have their hardcore fans (apart for those very few exceptions, of course)...

and please, don't think I'm arrogant and harsh on my Country...it's only because I know very well how things works here (unfortunately I'm not that young anymore and I've seen a lot of those things really difficult to understand from outside Italy)...:pope::old:

I feel you.. Just like me when voicing my disapproval and doubt when Indonesia is bidding for 2032 Summer Games. My close friends even said "Why can't you be optimistic with this country? We have 14 years!".

It's so painful to watch this whole process now, with all the referendums, all the cancelled bids, hell all 3 of the 2026 bids might get dropped! even the 2028 LA Olympics now facing growing opposition within the city, it just makes me worried to see where we are going