website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

4 hours ago, phelps said:

the only unnamed plan B (which is well in IOC's mind) is Beijing going back-to-back...:evil: (:facepalm:)

it would be the beginning of the end for the Winter Games, but still, that's the only real option to save the 2026 edition, should things go from bad to worse for the 3 official candidates...:cry:

Or SLC

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dude. Add an event that's made for the youth athletes (monobob), ok, but stay away from the main event of bobsleigh.

I don’t know if I’d consider the four-man what it used to be, it’s expenisve, requires larger tracks, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minut temu, Olympian1010 napisał:

I don’t know if I’d consider the four-man what it used to be, it’s expenisve, requires larger tracks, etc.

But we have one-man event already, it's called skeleton :p As a bobsleigh fan I can't imagine disapearing of four-man. 

2 hours ago, Col_Frost said:

But we have one-man event already, it's called skeleton :p As a bobsleigh fan I can't imagine disapearing of four-man. 

Neither can I, but I see the argument for it

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

My Plan B’s:

Ushnia (Argentina) 2026

New Zealand 2026

Sochi 2026 (but this time we do it right)

Los Angeles/Wrightwood/Big Bear 2026 (my dream)

Argentina/New Zealand - the games would have to be in summer or early autumn. Regarding winter season I guess that it would be too risky for many athletes. 

Anyways, I agree that voting 2026 might be disaster. They did it right to make 2024 and 2028 host cities. For me, the highest possibility of election has the Italy. But I would not be surprised if all 3 candidates pulled out cause of high costs or referendum. 

14 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Argentina/New Zealand - the games would have to be in summer or early autumn. Regarding winter season I guess that it would be too risky for many athletes. 

What would be risky about it?

If the facilities are there (which at least in the case of Ushuaia - or Bariloche or Termas de Chillan for that matter - is definitely not the case), I don't see the problem. Mt Hotham in Australia should give it a try.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minuto fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

What would be risky about it?

an entire year of world cup stages, then the Olympics and then world cup again. I personally think that, after all, the WG will stay in Europe, and hence Stockholm. It's hard for Italy getting them. Otherwise, there are three main chances, in my opinion: 

1) Canada again, probably Vancouver (but this depends from the laws in Canada, is the referendum for Calgary bid to be hold only there? and in case of failure, is it representing an expression of all Canadian city?)

2) Lausanne, with IOC exploiting in part 2020 venues for YOG and by making a higher economic effort

3) as @phelps said, Beijing 2026, that would be very sad, meaning that the interest has gone totally down...

1 minute ago, AlFHg said:

an entire year of world cup stages, then the Olympics and then world cup again.

Well, most of the top athletes would probably simply choose to skip several World Cups then, since they'll focus on the Olympics. It'd be a bit weird to never give the Winter Olympics to Chile/Argentina or New Zealand/Australia (or even South Africa) simply because it might be a bit inconvenient in terms of the regular World Cup seasons.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Well, most of the top athletes would probably simply choose to skip several World Cups then, since they'll focus on the Olympics. It'd be a bit weird to never give the Winter Olympics to Chile/Argentina or New Zealand/Australia (or even South Africa) simply because it might be a bit inconvenient in terms of the regular World Cup seasons.

True, but as long as these nations don't emerge as one of the leading nations in at least 3/4 winter sports, there's no real interest from everybody in organizing there. I think that in 10 years their only chance to have a winning bid is a combined organization. I don't know about the geography of the region, but I think Chile could be a strong candidate for hosting skiing and similar sports, and another nation, probably Argentina or Colombia, could host skating sport. But first of all, the interest inside the nation for winter sports must grow, otherwise this won't happen. Once they reach these conditions, probably the entire WC season will change

Edited by AlFHg

5 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

True, but as long as these nations don't emerge as one of the leading nations in at least 3/4 winter sports, there's no real interest from everybody in organizing there. I think that in 10 years their only chance to have a winning bid is a combined organization. I don't know about the geography of the region, but I think Chile could be a strong candidate for hosting skiing and similar sports, and another nation, probably Argentina or Colombia, could host skating sport. But first of all, the interest inside the nation for winter sports must grow, otherwise this won't happen. Once they reach these conditions, probably the entire WC season will change

I would already be a fan of alpine skiing and cross-country skiing having a World Cup in Chile and/or Argentina, like snowboarding has. That would be a great start :cheer:

If I'm not mistaken, going from Termas de Chillan (Chile) to Bariloche (Argentina) is a couple of hours driving, not too bad. There's also Portillo in Chile where they have a biathlon range. One with really crappy tracks, but alright :p 

Edited by heywoodu