website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

8 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yep 2026. We will host the 2019 IOC session in Milan where the 2026 Olympics will be assigned, if you host the session you can't have a bid for the Games ;)

Not necessarily true. I am sure the IOC will welcome Turin lol

26 minuti fa, intoronto ha scritto:

Not necessarily true. I am sure the IOC will welcome Turin lol

after the 2006 experience, I don't think so...:whistle:

and I also hope that nothing will happen...Italy can't waste their small sport budget to host the Games once again, we must invest in our boys and girls and find some talents, not just watching the others winning medals on our home soil...

I hope that at least sports officials did learn the Torino 2006 lesson (after that, our medal table just dropped to the shameful results we had in Vancouver and then in Sochi and, moreover, the sliding track and the jumping hills have been dismantled...just to name the 2 biggest waste scandals* that followed the disgraced year 2006)...

*if we speak only about sport...because what happened to the Olympic Village goes beyond imagination...:evil:

so, no, thanks...we don't want the Olympics anymore here in Italy...

Major surprise as the swiss parliament is asking to switch the Sion 2026 referendum from Valais canton to national level.

https://gamesbids.com/eng/winter-olympic-bids/2026-olympic-bid-news/sion-2026-olympic-bid-in-danger-as-referendum-could-be-switched-to-national-vote/

Most people believe that the referendum won't stand a chance in a national vote...

Graz agreed to at least send the IOC a letter of intent, which is the first step to making a bid for the game. Now there will be a feasibility study which will determine if Olympic games are doable without huge costs. 

Tbh, although this sounds good, I just don't see a bid from Austria happening. The county Styria has already announced that they are not willing to fund the games, the Austrian government is currently trying to reduce its spending and outside the sporting world I still don't have the feeling the Austrian public really wants these games. The only silver lining is that our current government is centre to far right which for once could be a good thing since they are most likely rather willing to host olympic games than the left parties. Now that a swiss bid seems to become less likely I'm rooting even more for Graz as it seems like we are the only alpine country left which thinks about hosting the games. I mean, if Austria makes the bid and Switzerland doesn't it would almost certainly be between us and Sweden. Both Canada and Japan would be absolutely ridiculous choices considering we've only had canadian games 8 years ago and now already two east asian winter games in a row. 

Sion 2026 isn't sure yet about where to have the speed skating, there are several options ranging from a temporary venue (they don't want to build anything that's not being used after the Olympics) to.......going to the Netherlands :d (which I guess should obviously be Thialf in Heerenveen)

https://www.blick.ch/sport/olympia/wegen-fehlender-eisschnelllauf-arena-findet-sion-2026-auch-in-holland-statt-id8139831.html

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!