website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

The city council of Lillehammer is moving on with their plans. They are considering working together with Oslo , Bergen , Stavanger and Trondheim , which will be a very widespread olympics.

Now it depends on the government. They didn't back the Oslo 2022 bid because of IOC extreme demands. Maybe they will back Lillehammer , as it will not be as expansive as proposed Oslo games. 

The norwegian population is split on the topic. A lot of us does not want a norwegian olympics right now.

Norwegian IOC member Gerhard Heiberg is positive on another Lillehammer olympics. 

Edited by Skijumpingmaster

I am still really in Sion's corner, I think Switzerland is super overdue to host another winter games (...and I really want to see Olympic sliding sports at St. Moritz in my lifetime), but at this point any Western European or Scandinavian country hosting would do the IOC a world of good.

...though if Calgary wins, eh, won't be mad.

5 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I am still really in Sion's corner, I think Switzerland is super overdue to host another winter games (...and I really want to see Olympic sliding sports at St. Moritz in my lifetime), but at this point any Western European or Scandinavian country hosting would do the IOC a world of good.

...though if Calgary wins, eh, won't be mad.

Agree. I am norwegian and wants another olympics eventually. But Switzerland hasn't hosted since 1948  , and as one of the big winter sports nations they really deserve a new olympics. 

il y a 32 minutes, Skijumpingmaster a déclaré:

The city council of Lillehammer is moving on with their plans. They are considering working together with Oslo , Bergen , Stavanger and Trondheim , which will be a very widespread olympics.

Are there many downsides to have widepsread olympics anyway ? Maybe some hidden costs (transport, security), but still a lot less than to the cost of builiding new specific facillities.

I guess some spectators wouldn't like it as they will have to spread themselves out and maybe we should consider splitting the olympic village. If this it what it takes to save the Wnter OG (and perhaps Summer ones too) that's fine by me.

And yes, pretty much everyone wants Switzerland to host the Games for a third time. The only question, does the the people of Valais (Sion's canton) want it too ?

23 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Are there many downsides to have widepsread olympics anyway ? Maybe some hidden costs (transport, security), but still a lot less than to the cost of builiding new specific facillities.

I have nothing against a widespread olympics. Imo the olympics should become more widespread. As you said it will be less expansive, no need to build a new ski jumping hill when you have one in the neighbour city for example. 

vor 10 Minuten schrieb De_Gambassi:

Speaking of widespread olympics. I wonder if the Rhein-Rhur 2032 project we heard about last year is moving forward ? :mumble:

Any german perhaps ? @EselTheDonkey @OlympicsFan ?

I read that the decision would probably be made in 2021. The idea is basically pushed by one sports manager (Michael Mronz) and the idea is to have 13 cities host the olympics together. For example:

Aachen = Equestrian, modern pentathlon

Bonn = Baseball, basketball, softball, archery

Dortmund = Football, shooting, wrestling, road cycling, skateboarding

Duisburg = Football, canoeing, rowing

Düsseldorf = Basketball, badminton, track cycling, beach volleyball, handball, judo, tennis, table tennis, volleyball

+ Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Cologne, Krefeld, Leverkusen, Mönchengladbach, Oberhausen, Recklinghausen

Here you can find a map, which sports should take place where (according to first plans):

http://www.wz.de/home/sport/olympia-in-nrw-diese-staedte-sollen-die-spiele-2032-ausrichten-1.2474742

I think people could get behind it, but the whole idea is to keep it very cheap, so we know what the IOC will think about it ...

The people who organized this said that 80% of the facilities are already there and have to be renovated, there are 5 stadiums with a capacity of at least 45.000 and 24 indoor facilities with a capacity of at least 3000. All the swimming competitions should take place in a temporary pool inside the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

il y a 11 minutes, OlympicsFan a déclaré:

I read that the decision would probably be made in 2021. The idea is basically pushed by one sports manager (Michael Mronz) and the idea is to have 13 cities host the olympics together. For example:

Aachen = Equestrian, modern pentathlon

Bonn = Baseball, basketball, softball, archery

Dortmund = Football, shooting, wrestling, road cycling, skateboarding

Duisburg = Football, canoeing, rowing

Düsseldorf = Basketball, badminton, track cycling, beach volleyball, handball, judo, tennis, table tennis, volleyball

+ Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Cologne, Krefeld, Leverkusen, Mönchengladbach, Oberhausen, Recklinghausen

Here you can find a map, which sports should take place where (according to first plans):

http://www.wz.de/home/sport/olympia-in-nrw-diese-staedte-sollen-die-spiele-2032-ausrichten-1.2474742

I think people could get behind it, but the whole idea is to keep it very cheap, so we know what the IOC will think about it ...

The people who organized this said that 80% of the facilities are already there and have to be renovated, there are 5 stadiums with a capacity of at least 45.000 and 24 indoor facilities with a capacity of at least 3000. All the swimming competitions should take place in a temporary pool inside the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen.

There are only 160km between Aachen and Dortmund. That's less than between Vancouver and Wistler IIRC. That seems more than manageable.

What are some of the specific venues missing: Velodrome ? Wild water canoeing stadium ?

Stockholm is close to bid for the 2026 games. They have most venues, so the games would be  relatively cheap. 

If Sweden gets the games the sports will be spread around the country. Alpine skiing , freestyle and snowboard in Åre  and ski jumping and nordic combined in Falun. 

Ice sports and apparently cross country will be in Stockholm. 

They are considering having bobsleigh , luge and skeleton on Lillehammer in Norway. Latvia and Germany are also options for those events. Apparently Latvia is interested in collaborating with Sweden on the 2026 games.

I'm very positive towards a swedish winter olympic games. If there's a country who deserves having the WO it's Sweden . 

Edit: Biathlon will be in Stockholm. 

Edited by Skijumpingmaster

1 hour ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Stockholm is close to bid for the 2026 games. They have most venues, so the games would be  relatively cheap. 

If Sweden gets the games the sports will be spread around the country. Alpine skiing , freestyle and snowboard in Åre  and ski jumping and nordic combined in Falun. 

Ice sports and apparently cross country will be in Stockholm. 

They are considering having bobsleigh , luge and skeleton on Lillehammer in Norway. Latvia and Germany are also options for those events. Apparently Latvia is interested in collaborating with Sweden on the 2026 games.

I'm very positive towards a swedish winter olympic games. If there's a country who deserves having the WO it's Sweden . 

Edit: Biathlon will be in Stockholm. 

Having the track sports Olympic events in Latvia would be a beautiful sight to see re:fans