website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

vor 1 Stunde schrieb JoshMartini007:

Makes sense, they are already hosting in 2028. This helps Canada should they submit a bid.

In case there is a European bid it would be ridiculous if Canada gets to host the games though, since they already hosted the games in 2010. 

10 minutes ago, Gigs said:

In case there is a European bid it would be ridiculous if Canada gets to host the games though, since they already hosted the games in 2010. 

You're probably right. 16 years would be the shortest time span for a nation to host the winter games twice. It also doesn't help that Europe hasn't hosted in a while either. 2030 is more plausible though if there is little competition we may sneak in.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb De_Gambassi:

At that point, ANY european bid should win versus ANY other bid.

To Canada to host the Winter Games 16 years afer Vancouver is ridiuclous. I really hope It won't happen (and if it means Sapporo, so be it)

No, I'd rather take Canada again than another winter olympics in Asia. Now before Pyeong Chang has started saying you don't have a problem with Olympics in Asia is easy but I bet after China 2022 you'll be sick of standing up at 3 in the morning to watch olympic winter games. 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb DaniSRB:

I hope Sweden will host it

Sweden would be cool on paper but again I'm not too happy about the exact locations of the events. As far as I know they would make the Nordic events in Fallun, alpine skiing events in Are and all sorts of ice skating events in Stockholm. That's logical since those are existing facilities but the distances between these places make the already big distances in Switzerland and Austria look tiny. 

What really surprises me is that Germany seemingly doesn't care about the Winter Olympics anymore. Munich made a bid for 2018 as far as I remember, and that actually was a really good one, since they really have almost everything that's needed for Olympic games in Bavaria. (Nordic events in Oberstdorf, alpine skiing in Garmisch, luge in Königssee, speed skating in Inzell, Biathlon in Ruhpolding and there is an exsting olympic park in Munich with many arenas where other events could take place) I think there was the idea of making Olympic winter games in Saxony, but although they do have a few facilities there (Altenberg, Klingenthal) I don't think that plan was ever very close to becoming real. 

hace 10 minutos, Gigs said:

No, I'd rather take Canada again than another winter olympics in Asia. Now before Pyeong Chang has started saying you don't have a problem with Olympics in Asia is easy but I bet after China 2022 you'll be sick of standing up at 3 in the morning to watch olympic winter games. 

Sweden would be cool on paper but again I'm not too happy about the exact locations of the events. As far as I know they would make the Nordic events in Fallun, alpine skiing events in Are and all sorts of ice skating events in Stockholm. That's logical since those are existing facilities but the distances between these places make the already big distances in Switzerland and Austria look tiny. 

What really surprises me is that Germany seemingly doesn't care about the Winter Olympics anymore. Munich made a bid for 2018 as far as I remember, and that actually was a really good one, since they really have almost everything that's needed for Olympic games in Bavaria. (Nordic events in Oberstdorf, alpine skiing in Garmisch, luge in Königssee, speed skating in Inzell, Biathlon in Ruhpolding and there is an exsting olympic park in Munich with many arenas where other events could take place) I think there was the idea of making Olympic winter games in Saxony, but although they do have a few facilities there (Altenberg, Klingenthal) I don't think that plan was ever very close to becoming real. 

yes, Stockholm has this problem, but i would like that countries who are traditional strong but still did not host WOG like Sweden and Finland will finally do it + Almaty :d

After them Austria, Switzerland and Germany would be nice too as lot of time passed since they hosted it