website statistics

Freestyle Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

vor 36 Minuten schrieb DaniSRB:

it says more about discipline when she with such performance managed to get a call

I think it also says a lot about Hungary ... why did they allow her to do this? She never had any chance to medal, so how exactly does this "help" Hungary? I always thought that hungarian people are very "proud", so it's kind of weird to just hand the citizenship out like it's nothing (unless i missed something and she always had the citizenship, but that would still leave the question why Hungary nominated her).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb JoshMartini007:

That's a general issue with the Winter Olympics. If there were quota restraints like in the Summer Olympics these events would be closer to 16-24 entrants than 24-30.

If you would apply the same tough criteria in every event, there probably wouldn't even be enough entrants to hold certain events. It's a fact that winter sports in general are much less competitive than summer sports, apart from a few exceptions. To be honest i also don't quiet get all the anger ...

a) If she would have spent her whole life in Hungary, would people still be "mad"? No

b) If she would have been from Tonga, would people still be "mad"? No

We have those kind of competitors all the time at the summer olympics, but also in alpine skiing or cross-country, so what is the big problem? Did she take a spot away from someone? I think it's weird to blame her. Say you would have the chance to compete at the olympics tomorrow, would anyone here really turn that opportunity down? I don't think so ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think it also says a lot about Hungary ... why did they allow her to do this? She never had any chance to medal, so how exactly does this "help" Hungary? I always thought that hungarian people are very "proud", so it's kind of weird to just hand the citizenship out like it's nothing (unless i missed something and she always had the citizenship, but that would still leave the question why Hungary nominated her).

Appearently they did not see her performing :d

Well. Some people have been just as critical towards some of the cross-country qualifiers (at least Pita and project Bogota).

Some people just doesn't quite understand that it's a part of the Olympics (though it's different with an athlete in an event like the halfpipe where the amount of quotas is pretty small.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

If you would apply the same tough criteria in every event, there probably wouldn't even be enough entrants to hold certain events. It's a fact that winter sports in general are much less competitive than summer sports, apart from a few exceptions. To be honest i also don't quiet get all the anger ...

a) If she would have spent her whole life in Hungary, would people still be "mad"? No

b) If she would have been from Tonga, would people still be "mad"? No

We have those kind of competitors all the time at the summer olympics, but also in alpine skiing or cross-country, so what is the big problem? Did she take a spot away from someone? I think it's weird to blame her. Say you would have the chance to compete at the olympics tomorrow, would anyone here really turn that opportunity down? I don't think so ...

I think it comes down to attitude. The athlete is known to act like a spoiled brat. I don't think she bought citizenship (she was eligible to become Hungarian). It would be like if someone made the 100m and decide to casually run it for the publicity.

People can tell if someone is trying, even if they aren't good at it. That's the difference.

Edited by JoshMartini007

vor 4 Minuten schrieb JoshMartini007:

I think it comes down to attitude. The athlete is known to act like a spoiled brat. I don't think she bought citizenship (she was eligible to become Hungarian). It would be like if someone made the 100m and decide to casually run it for the publicity.

Ah ok, so you think she could have done better? Then it would be a different thing, but why exactly should she be so shitty on purpose? I think she embarrassed herself, so what did she gain by giving a performance like that?

Edited by OlympicsFan

vor 6 Minuten schrieb DaniSRB:

Appearently they did not see her performing :d

That's actually what i thought first ... they probably thought: She is from the US, americans are always good in sports like that, so she must be good as well. Let's just hope that they didn't really "buy" her, it probably would have been more hopeful to take one of those Shaolin guys in shorttrack and turn him into a freestyle skier.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

Ah ok, so you think she could have done better? Then it would be a different thing, but why exactly should she be so shitty on purpose? I think she embarrassed herself, so what did she gain by giving a performance like that?

I feel so, she can clearly do some tricks so obviously she isn't a total beginner.

Though to be fair I'm not really angry about all this, she'll be forgotten in a week or so.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

That's actually what i thought first ... they probably thought: She is from the US, americans are always good in sports like that, so she must be good as well. Let's just hope that they didn't really "buy" her, it probably would have been more hopeful to take one of those Shaolin guys in shorttrack and turn him into a freestyle skier.

she financed herself during the qualifications