website statistics

Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games 2017

Griff88

5 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Ah yeah I saw that belt wrestling match...

Well the Turkmens need more gold medals for propaganda :d

That's a shame actually. they already cheated by adding toooooo many similar sports to the program.

I have to admit the organization is great, some of Iranian officials in the competition claim that's even better than the Olympics in Rio ! even though most of the top organizers are foreigners and not from Turkmenistan. but the problem is Turkmenistan (which is usually a poor country in everything including sports) wants to use this for propaganda as you said, I watch the competition for most of the day and if you watch their TV channels, they show a counter for their medal count which changes minutes by minute :d and they sound very proud of their "dominance" ! if you watched the competition, Turkmen Goresh (Traditional wrestling), Belt wrestling and Alysh are exactly the same ! the only difference is in scoring system.

Another problem is they have two competitions in almost all events. I know it's not cheating, they had that in their handbooks long time ago but almost no other country used that opportunity to send two athletes in each event. mostly in martial arts it's NOT common to see two athletes from the same country in the same weight.

and one thing about that girl and belt wrestling, as everybody know the "real" wrestling is not active in Iran for women and wrestling is somehow the national sport. there are so many girls here love to wrestle and this belt wrestling thing is probably the best and only chance for Iranian girls who love wrestling to try something at least a bit similar. I don't really care about belt wrestling medals (they are only good for the medal count) but I know that gold medal would mean everything for that Iranian girl. that's why she was crying on the podium. and btw I just found out that she is a cousin of our Olympic Champion Hassan Yazdani !

http://iawf.ir/images/pic.aspx?x=800&y=600&fn=//Content/Contents/PicService/71_f1bc25a1-78e0-4100-9c55-48a7bf4ce999/photo_2017-09-19_18-37-57.jpg&Title=photo_2017-09-19_18-37-57.jpg

Edited by MHSN

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I have to admit the organization is great, some of Iranian officials in the competition claim that's even better than the Olympics in Rio ! even though most of the top organizers are foreigners and not from Turkmenistan. but the problem is Turkmenistan (which is usually a poor country in everything including sports) wants to use this for propaganda as you said, I watch the competition for most of the day and if you watch their TV channels, they show a counter for their medal count which changes minutes by minute :d and they sound very proud of their "dominance" ! if you watched the competition, Turkmen Goresh (Traditional wrestling), Belt wrestling and Alysh are exactly the same ! the only difference is in scoring system.

Well, with facilities like this they'll just need few good coaches and the results will come. At least they are not the athlete shopers like a lot of oil nations.

#banbestmen

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, with facilities like this they'll just need few good coaches and the results will come. At least they are not the athlete shopers like a lot of oil nations.

yeah so true. and we already can see a bit of improvement. I think this time in Jakarta 2018 they will win few medals, if I have to name two countries in Asia improving faster than the rest, I would name Vietnam and then Turkmenistan.

even as neighbors, we almost never hear about Turkmenistan here, (except when they stop gas exports to Iran and make trouble for northern provinces  :d) but from my own experiences they are good people in general , maybe better than other -istan countries. and yes I hope they don't change their policy of not buying other athletes. I remember UAE also tried to not do that for a while but they finally surrender to that and started buying athletes and judokas. I think it's probably just a matter of time for Turkmenistan too if they don't get the quick results they wanted. of course I hope I'm wrong

now let's talk about the 3rd day results. Iran is 2nd in medal table and I think they will keep that place till the end. even though Taekwondo competition is about to finish but there are still Kurash, wrestling, Pahlavani etc to give Iran more gold medals.

we have live coverage for this competition in Iran but so far ONLY for Taekwondo competitions ! not a bad choice since Iran won 6 gold medals so far, 5 out 6 men's gold medals. we picked up our first defeat here in one of the finals to Korea. this is a great result because of the level the competition is quite good in this sport and this is not even our first team, mostly 2nd or 3rd tier athletes. today we had a surprise gold medal in women's taekwondo ! which was also first gold medal for Iranian girls here. Parisa Javadi won few close matches to win the gold, which is rare for Iranian girls, they are good but always choke in crucial matches mostly because of lack of confidence. (the only exception is Kimia Alizadeh)

Ghanbarzadeh broke the indoor national record in high jump, still lost the gold medal to Ghazal of Syria (World Champs bronze medalist) just because Ghazal jumped 2.26 on his first jump.

but the most surprising result of the day belonged to our basketball team ! this is the 1st ever competition for Iranian girls after the 1979 revolution ! because FIBA only recently agreed to allow head scarf. Iran women team beat Chinese Taipei today ! I know this is not probably a top team from TPE but they are miles ahead of Iran in women's basketball, that's still quite an achievement. 3x3 basketball will be on the 2018 Asian Games program as well as the Olympics, time to take it more serious.

13 hours ago, MHSN said:

That's a shame actually. they already cheated by adding toooooo many similar sports to the program.

Another problem is they have two competitions in almost all events. I know it's not cheating, they had that in their handbooks long time ago but almost no other country used that opportunity to send two athletes in each event. mostly in martial arts it's NOT common to see two athletes from the same country in the same weight.

and one thing about that girl and belt wrestling, as everybody know the "real" wrestling is not active in Iran for women and wrestling is somehow the national sport. there are so many girls here love to wrestle and this belt wrestling thing is probably the best and only chance for Iranian girls who love wrestling to try something at least a bit similar. I don't really care about belt wrestling medals (they are only good for the medal count) but I know that gold medal would mean everything for that Iranian girl. that's why she was crying on the podium. and btw I just found out that she is a cousin of our Olympic Champion Hassan Yazdani !

http://iawf.ir/images/pic.aspx?x=800&y=600&fn=//Content/Contents/PicService/71_f1bc25a1-78e0-4100-9c55-48a7bf4ce999/photo_2017-09-19_18-37-57.jpg&Title=photo_2017-09-19_18-37-57.jpg

Yes they show that medal counter :lol:

And if there is no more Turkmen athlete in waiting/next matches (like in taekwondo) they will just simply switch to other sports

Edited by Griff88

Oh yeah, they are broadcasting equestrian. :cool: But I'm surprised it's not indoor. :lol:

:KSA Saudis dominated the first round. :QAT Qatar 2nd, :SYR Syria and :KGZ Kyrgyzstan tied for 3rd. Cool result for KGZ, but not entirely unexpected as they appear once in a while in European competitions (unlike IRI, UZB, TKM, KAZ).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen