website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

1 minuto fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

And in motorsports the main difference is made by the skills of the driver.

no way...you can be Hamilton or Vettel, but with something like the current Williams you end up dead last every time you finish a race (and more often than not you don't even finish a race)...

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

no way...you can be Hamilton or Vettel, but with something like the current Williams you end up dead last every time you finish a race (and more often than not you don't even finish a race)...

You forgot to see my edit :p

In F1 yes, a large part is teamwork (like in many sports btw) instead of just the driver, which is why I mentioned standardized equipment.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yet another reason why summer biathlon is so awesome by the way: rollerski's, wheels and everything are provided by the organization and are all standard. The same should happen in cross-country skiing and sports like that, to avoid the highly unfair situations where teams like Norway are there with all kinds of wax trucks full with scientists and technicians and 50 pairs of skis per athlete, while smaller teams have 2-3 pairs of skis per athlete and one person waxing and testing the skis.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Adesso, heywoodu ha scritto:

You forgot to see my edit :p

In F1 yes, a large part is teamwork (like in many sports btw) instead of just the driver, which is why I mentioned standardized equipment.

it wasn't posted yet when I started to answer...:whistle:

in any case, in motorsports it's the mechanical package that makes the difference...the drivers' skills come out only if and when you have standard equipment for every competitor...

and that's why I can accept as a "grey zone" the definition of sport applied to motorsports...

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

it wasn't posted yet when I started to answer...:whistle:

in any case, in motorsports it's the mechanical package that makes the difference...the drivers' skills come out only if and when you have standard equipment for every competitor...

and that's why I can accept as a "grey zone" the definition of sport applied to motorsports...

Not entirely the case of course. Put a bad driver in a good car and a great driver in a mediocre car still has a chance to beat him. 

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's not a question of "top level" or amateur stuff...the definition is only about what's "sport" and what's not...

in cycling the main part of the job is done by the man/woman's legs...

for what concerns the animals, I think they should be compared to motorsports...and not to be considered real "sports", but this part is always contested by many people who still consider this kind of activity a sport (because of the competitive nature of the races)...it's definitely a grey zone in this particular question...

in any case, as I wrote before, I don't care too much about definitions...;)

"Sport" can be defined in many ways, it's not absolute.

GAISF even separates them into primarily physical, primarily mind-based, primarily motorised, primarily coordination and primarily animal-supported. Interestingly, eSports doesn't fall under any of that as of now.

Allow me to ask in a provocative way. You wouldn't mind eSports if Italy was good at them, right? ;)

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yet another reason why summer biathlon is so awesome by the way: rollerski's, wheels and everything are provided by the organization and are all standard. The same should happen in cross-country skiing and sports like that, to avoid the highly unfair situations where teams like Norway are there with all kinds of wax trucks full with scientists and technicians and 50 pairs of skis per athlete, while smaller teams have 2-3 pairs of skis per athlete and one person waxing and testing the skis.

By the same token, you can also say that all athletes should eat the same, train the same, etc... If equipment needs to be the same, then what's stopping those aspects from being the same as well in order for everything to be fair?

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

By the same token, you can also say that all athletes should eat the same, train the same, etc... If equipment needs to be the same, then what's stopping those aspects from being the same as well in order for everything to be fair?

Because you, as an athlete, can take care of your training and diet reasonably well, whereas you can't expect an athlete to spend hundreds of hours researching aerodynamics and whatnot.

1 minute ago, Griff88 said:

The word 'e-sport' is simply the biggest scam ever invented.

Yes, like 'e-mail' or 'e-cigarette'. Everything should stay as it was in 1908, forever :p