website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

MMA is definitely a very global sport already, the main issue is that fitting it in a two week event would result in something that doesn't even resemble the thing millions of world wide MMA-fans love. 

Well a World Championship has been done. But yeah it would look quite different. I think as long as the well-known big names and professionals participate, though, it won't be so bad. Kinda like now with boxing, where it's alongside amateurs, except maybe a higher proportion of professionals to keep interest up. It's definitely, for me at least, one of the most entertaining martial arts around, and it has a huge base in the US. What I said about expanding was getting more federations involved, the IMMAF has fewer than 50 at the moment. 

Just now, ahjfcshfghb said:

Well a World Championship has been done. But yeah it would look quite different. I think as long as the well-known big names and professionals participate, though, it won't be so bad. Kinda like now with boxing, where it's alongside amateurs, except maybe a higher proportion of professionals to keep interest up. It's definitely, for me at least, one of the most entertaining martial arts around, and it has a huge base in the US. What I said about expanding was getting more federations involved, the IMMAF has fewer than 50 at the moment. 

That would be good, but somehow I feel like the big superstars from the likes of UFC won't feel interested in participating in a non-paying event like the Olympics :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

That would be good, but somehow I feel like the big superstars from the likes of UFC won't feel interested in participating in a non-paying event like the Olympics :p

Maybe, but exposure could mean more viewership later = even more $$$ :p 

As for Karate, well, the French are going to want medals one way or another. So it's either going to be that or Boules. (Maybe both...)

Boules is interesting because it's the only sport at the Paralympics not in any resemblance in the Olympics (kind of) though for good reason. Would you rather have to have Boules or Karate? :mumble:

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Would you rather have to have Boules or Karate? :mumble:

Not gonna turn the live stream on for any of them so I couldn't care less :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Fair enough. I mean the only new Olympic sports I really think deserve to be in the Olympics now are Squash and possibly Cricket. 

Cricket would be good for the IOC because India is the biggest country in cricket and also the one big country left where the Olympics need a boost in interest.

However attempts at getting a cricket competition at the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games have been poor.

Lack of effort by the strong nations killed it at both.

India, Australia and England are more interested in making money at their own tournaments than expanding the sport.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Quels-nouveau-x-sport-s-integrer-au-programme-olympique-pour-paris-2024/853433?platform=hootsuite&xtref=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FaAXOJoFLRn¤amp§1

Questionnaire made by L'equipe about sports u wish to be added to Olympic Programme in 2024 , u can choose 3 sports , for me i chose Squash , Karate and Baseball 

49 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Quels-nouveau-x-sport-s-integrer-au-programme-olympique-pour-paris-2024/853433?platform=hootsuite&xtref=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FaAXOJoFLRn¤amp§1

Questionnaire made by L'equipe about sports u wish to be added to Olympic Programme in 2024 , u can choose 3 sports , for me i chose Squash , Karate and Baseball 

well, many of those sports (Baseball, Sport Climbing, Karate, Skateboarding, Surfing) are already in the Tokyo 2020 schedule as "new sports", which means they will be also on the Paris 2024 list...

so, among the few remaining, I'd like to see Roller Sports (actually, only Roller Speedskating), Squash (only if IOC gets rid of all doubles and team events in the racket sports) and Water Ski (Jumping and Slalom only) in 2024...