website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

Karate and sport climbing will become core sports, I'm pretty sure about it and, honestly, they deserve it. One is world-wide spread, the other is cheap and attractive for a lot of people as it can be practiced in a gym (at least, you can try it) without too much equipment. 

I dream in the future of "venues" made up of city parks in which a surface can be used in a flexible way (for example, asphalt for roller sports, figure skating, and then using it for temporary venues like those of sport climbing and 3x3 basketball), integrating it with baseball/softball/rugby fields, rowing venues, mountain biking and so on. Maybe it sounds a little bit confusing but in my mind is clear xD

10 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Karate and sport climbing will become core sports, I'm pretty sure about it and, honestly, they deserve it. One is world-wide spread, the other is cheap and attractive for a lot of people as it can be practiced in a gym (at least, you can try it) without too much equipment. 

I dream in the future of "venues" made up of city parks in which a surface can be used in a flexible way (for example, asphalt for roller sports, figure skating, and then using it for temporary venues like those of sport climbing and 3x3 basketball), integrating it with baseball/softball/rugby fields, rowing venues, mountain biking and so on. Maybe it sounds a little bit confusing but in my mind is clear xD

Outdoor venues would be nice. Many venues used for the Olympics can be used for other sports/activities. The issue for host cities is that the IOC wants the seating capacity to be high. The smallest venue for the 2020 Olympics is 5000 seats with many of them reaching over 10,000 seats. Most cities don't need multiple 10,000 seat venues which is why most host cities are left with "white elephant" venues. I bet many cities would be willing to host if the IOC allowed some events to be held at ~2000 seat venues.

I suppose this will last until a city will make an ambitious proposal. But this proposal is not only related to the fact that sports could be hosted only in different kind of venues: a different use of indoor venues should be done. Let's say, a Judo Grand Prix requests 3 days for 14 categories, while in OG only 2 categories are held every day. It's a waste of time, other sport could join and the programme gets compressed. With the current technologies of live streaming, like eurosport for the Pyeongchang games, there's no need for television, each can decide which sports see. 

In Olympics, I suppose the most expensive things are venues, together with Olympic Villages and civil infrastructures, (roads, airport, public transport); athlete number is not the most important problem and, on the other hand, increasing programme in some sports (like canoe or track cycling) will increase quotas but not necessarily number of athletes, (and media will be able to "build" more outstanding athletes like Phelps or Bolt). Using venues better, by including more sports (and hence, more tickets) is the way to get a near-term economic advantage. For longer terms, it comes from the ability of the governments, and from the perception people has. Probably, in the future, the IOC should recommend to divide team sports over the whole country, so that local improvements can be done, reducing the perception of centering resources in only one place. Things definitely will change, but it takes courage from IOC and ambition from potential hosts.

If I get a Ph.D. position in Lausanne, I'll go tell them :d

• 5 months later...

During today's press conference it has been said that the number of quotas needed for the additional sports will be counted towards the overal 10,500 athletes set by IOC Charter (contrary to what happen for Tokyo)

Il means that the number of additional sports will be low (very likely lower than five) and that they won't request a large number of quotas (any team sport is basically screwed at that point)

Edit: Paris will make its proposals by the first semester of 2019.

Edited by De_Gambassi

• 1 month later...
21 minuti fa, Jur ha scritto:

Former F1 driver Felipe Massa is leading a FIA project that's working towards Kart Racing getting in the olympic programme in Paris 2024

(in spanish)

https://as.com/motor/2018/08/28/mas_motor/1535482684_304212.html

Well a series of races like the sailing competition could be nice :d however, i’ll Prefer current sports to assign more medals...

1 hour ago, AlFHg said:

Among motor sports and esports, I’ll vote for motor sports. Honestly, I don’t understand how the esport can be considered sport, but probably this is my limitation.

Chess is considered a sport by many people, or equestrian. If they are considered sports, I don't see why esports shouldn't be, even though I find esports incredibly boring to watch (much like chess and equestrian :p ).

Olympic karting would be fun :lol: as long as it's done with equipment that's made available by the organizers, so it's mostly about driving skills.

Edit: Should have known, when it's about Massa of course it's electrical karting. Never mind, forget it :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Chess is considered a sport by many people, or equestrian. If they are considered sports, I don't see why esports shouldn't be, even though I find esports incredibly boring to watch (much like chess and equestrian :p ).

That is incorrect on so many levels.

#banbestmen