website statistics

Luge FIL World Cup 2017 - 2018

hckošice

2 hours ago, dcro said:

It's sad how luge commentators are clueless about how Olympic qualification works...

They actually say: "Most of the big nations will have 3 lugers per event, while smaller ones choose not to have more than 1 or 2." :facepalm:

I think it’s like that because in practice the big countries qualify all the sleds they want up to the quota limit.

In bobsleigh / skeleton the comentators are much more aware of how qualification works because very few countries can have the max quota.

Probably Slovakia will have 5 athletes in PyeongChang. 3 of them are already officially qualified. Jozef Ninis in the men´s Singles and the pair Marek Solčanský/Karol Stuchlák in the men´s doubles event. But very likely we will receive 2 more quotas for the young Šimoňák sibs. Jakub Šimoňák as our second competitor in the mens singles thanks his placement in the reduced qualifying ranking, and his sister Katarína Šimoňáková in the women´s singles. She did not achieved the qualifying standards, but apparently she will receive a invitational quota for the women´s single in order to form a team relay.

FIL will add individual quotas for the nations aspiring for the team´s relay but missing 1 quota, and as I´ve read from the quote of the general secretary of our Luge federation, There Strong rumors that FIL will give these quotas to only 2 nations to Czech Republic and Slovakia. The final confirmation is expected at the beginning of this week.

Here the source in SVK https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/311271/sankovanie-v-pjongcangu-by-malo-startovat-pat-slovakov/?AT=wgt.hp_hp-mohlobyvaszaujimat.c.x...B.1

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

Probably Slovakia will have 5 athletes in PyeongChang. 3 of them are already officially qualified. Jozef Ninis in the men´s Singles and the pair Marek Solčanský/Karol Stuchlák in the men´s doubles event. But very likely we will receive 2 more quotas for the young Šimoňák sibs. Jakub Šimoňák as our second competitor in the mens singles thanks his placement in the reduced qualifying ranking, and his sister Katarína Šimoňáková in the women´s singles. She did not achieved the qualifying standards, but apparently she will receive a invitational quota for the women´s single in order to form a team relay.

FIL will add individual quotas for the nations aspiring for the team´s relay but missing 1 quota, and as I´ve read from the quote of the general secretary of our Luge federation, There Strong rumors that FIL will give these quotas to only 2 nations to Czech Republic and Slovakia. The final confirmation is expected at the beginning of this week.

Here the source in SVK https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/311271/sankovanie-v-pjongcangu-by-malo-startovat-pat-slovakov/?AT=wgt.hp_hp-mohlobyvaszaujimat.c.x...B.1

Fil will give 4 quotas for nations to form a team relay. Slovakia and Czech Republic for women's, Romania and Ukraine for doubles

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Am I right that :GBR have 2 quotas for men's singles?

Seems like it. Are they going to accept those quotas though I wonder?

I know that Slovenia won't be accepting their quotas, so there are already some guaranteed reallocations.

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

Seems like it. Are they going to accept those quotas though I wonder?

I know that Slovenia won't be accepting their quotas, so there are already some guaranteed reallocations.

Have they ever finished in the top 67% of a World Cup race?

7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Have they ever finished in the top 67% of a World Cup race?

Hard to say with this ridiculous point system that FIL got (after some position every competitor gets exactly one point). Such a shame that Portugal got DSQ in the first stage, as getting 1 in every stage would have been enough...

http://www.fil-luge.org/cdn/uploads/cup2wcmen.pdf

Looks like Rosen just broke that 67% requirement with his 2 points score. Finished 39th out of 59. Don't know if any of Staudinger's 1 point scores were within that 67% (probably not I'd say).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Hard to say with this ridiculous point system that FIL got (after some position every competitor gets exactly one point). Such a shame that Portugal got DSQ in the first stage, as getting 1 in every stage would have been enough...

http://www.fil-luge.org/cdn/uploads/cup2wcmen.pdf

Looks like Rosen just broke that 67% requirement with his 2 points score. Finished 39th out of 59. Don't know if any of Staudinger's 1 point scores were within that 67% (probably not I'd say).

The GBR rules say you have that you have to be in the 67% in 2 world cup races so it looks like the quota will be declined.