website statistics

Luge FIL World Cup 2017 - 2018

hckošice

The calendar, always useful in the opening post of a thread like this without having to click on another link first :p

b7caf31111.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...

Florian Gruber had a bad injury to his shoulder...probably he will need an operation and will be out for the season, meaning that the young emerging Italian Duo Gruber/Kainzwalder will miss the world cup 2017/2018 and, above all, the Pyeongchang Olympics...

all of our hopes in the Doubles competition are now on the shoulder of the veteran duo Oberstolz/Gruber and of the disappointing (so far) duo Rieder/Rastner...

as 3rd sled, in fact, we're going to start a junior couple (Malleier/Nagler)...

• 3 weeks later...

some news from today's Nations Cup...

first, I'm very happy with the fact that Florian Gruber's injury wasn't as bad as it looked when it happened...

he's already back in competition, even if his duo with Simon Kainzwalder didn't have an easy start in the first WC stage...

second, I'm quite surprised by how good were our girls, with Andrea Voetter dominating the NC run...

but even more encouraging was the result by the 16-year young Nina Zoeggeler, daughter of the great Armin, who was 9th and did qualify for the actual WC race at her first attempt among the "real women" (and moreover, she did beat Hannah Prock...their fathers have been rival for so many years and now the fight will get new boost with these 2 young girls...I can only imagine their daddies' reaction week after week in the coming years :lol:)...

to be noticed, the 14th ranked and last qualified for the WC race is Aileen Frisch, who's now sliding for the Olympic Games hosts, South Korea, instead of her native Germany...

Viktoriia Demchenko, Hannah Prock, Nina Zöggeler, this is gonna be cool, all names are returning :d 

http://www.fil-luge.org/cdn/uploads/slwcwomen.pdf

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, phelps said:

Aileen Frisch, who's now sliding for the Olympic Games hosts, South Korea, instead of her native Germany...

That's not exactly new :p It's the exact reason she came out of retirement a year ago 

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's not exactly new :p It's the exact reason she came out of retirement a year ago 

in fact I didn't write that's something previously unheard...I only underlined her new "home" and I just noticed that she was the last qualified athlete...;)

and yeah, I forgot Viktoriia Demchenko among the "famous daughters"...however, she's a lot more experienced of Hannah and Nina...the real "rivalry" for now can only be this one, including the Russian in this comparison at the moment would be unfair to the other 2...

in a few years, instead, it's truly gonna be "a 3-head monster" (and maybe more...who knows?)...:lol:

6 hours ago, phelps said:

in fact I didn't write that's something previously unheard...I only underlined her new "home" and I just noticed that she was the last qualified athlete...;)

and yeah, I forgot Viktoriia Demchenko among the "famous daughters"...however, she's a lot more experienced of Hannah and Nina...the real "rivalry" for now can only be this one, including the Russian in this comparison at the moment would be unfair to the other 2...

in a few years, instead, it's truly gonna be "a 3-head monster" (and maybe more...who knows?)...:lol:

That would be a lot of fun xD

First women's race of the season...and not encouraging results at all...

despite a promising first run, at the end it was the usual German clean sweep, with Natalie Geisenberger on top thanks to Tatjana Hufner's big mistake in the first part (then she had the best time in the second run, but it wasn't enough to overtake Geisenberger and Eitberger, who also made a big mistake in the first run, but not as big as Hufner's)...

best of the rest, Alex Gough (CAN) in 4th place...

Erin Hamlin (USA) was second after the first run, but made a capital mistake in the second part and finished 21st...

Russians, Austrians and Latvians were never a factor...

for Italy, great 6th place finish for Andrea Voetter, finally landing in an area of the rankings where she should have come years ago...

and very good 15th and 17th final position respectively for the 16-year youngsters Nina Zoeggeler and Verena Hofer, both having 2 solid runs without any notable mistake...

now let's wait and see what happens in the men's doubles, where after the first run we have the usual suspects Eggert/Benecken (GER) and Wendl/Arlt (GER) in 1st and 3rd position...

but we also have a surprising provisional second-place pair, the Italians Rieder/Rastner, who are only 33/1000 of a second far away from the top of the ranking...

home heroes Penz/Fischler are 4th at the moment, but quite far behind the medal positions (especially on a short track like Igls)...

fingers crossed for our guys...:fingers: