website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2017

8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

It's 2 A.M. and I'm doing my "Third Final Listen". There are 5 songs that I generally enjoy that have been stuck in the same place nearly from the start and 6-13th jumping around throughout the two weeks, something changing with every single listen and even 1 change in this final final listen :d I guess it's just harder when there's many songs that lack character, when you actually need to separate them.

Honestly, I am dreading the fact if I'd have to use a reserve in this edition, because everything below 14th place is mediocre for me, lower than 16th is less than mediocre and I don't even want to talk about the songs that didn't make my top 20 :d (Sorry if I'm offending anyone, or will be offending anyone when you see my points, but yeah, I'm an honest man).

Say NO the the political correction ;), is not your  problem if somebody be offend with your opinion about songs.....at least if the song is from somebody of the forum user........but it isnt the case, a friend of mine who like and know a lot of music with your song he says to me "only for connoisseurs", i told him that you are musician and he sayed "it doesnt surprise me".

Edited by konig

1 minute ago, konig said:

Say NO the the political correction ;), is not your  problem if somebody be offend with your opinion about songs.....at least if the song is from somebody of the forum user........but it isnt the case, a friend of mine who like and know a lot of music with you song he says to me "only for connoisseurs", i told him that you are musician and he sayed "it doesnt surprise me".

Well, as an artist, as much as it sometimes troubles me, we always have to stay politically correct and our statements can't usually offend/reject anyone. There is also a huge belief that artists can only speak through music and we're often shunned if we try to speak upon other important topics, especially politics, because of the social stigma, that if you're doing music that means you probably have no insight or right to comment upon other things. So, I guess that saying sorry for something that might come off even the slightest bit of rude is now in my blood :d

And the fact on how your friend commented on my song choice this year only solidifies my belief that Lithuania ain't going to be doing well in this year's edition :p

6 minutes ago, konig said:

but it isnt the case, a friend of mine who like and know a lot of music with your song he says to me "only for connoisseurs", i told him that you are musician and he sayed "it doesnt surprise me".

But one man's wine is another man's poison when it comes to music and there is no right or wrong taste. Some people like strawberry ice cream, some people like mint, some people even like bubblegum :d

And thank God for that as music would be pretty boring otherwise.

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

But one man's wine is another man's poison when it comes to music and there is no right or wrong taste. Some people like strawberry ice cream, some people like mint, some people even like bubblegum :d

And thank God for that as music would be pretty boring otherwise.

You are rigth Dan, is a taste thing but the conclusion is like Werloc says indirectly: is more a song for people who are in the musical ambient than common people like us.

8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, as an artist, as much as it sometimes troubles me, we always have to stay politically correct and our statements can't usually offend/reject anyone. There is also a huge belief that artists can only speak through music and we're often shunned if we try to speak upon other important topics, especially politics, because of the social stigma, that if you're doing music that means you probably have no insight or right to comment upon other things. So, I guess that saying sorry for something that might come off even the slightest bit of rude is now in my blood :d

And the fact on how your friend commented on my song choice this year only solidifies my belief that Lithuania ain't going to be doing well in this year's edition :p

In my country pass exactly the contrary: an opinion of a famous people, including artist of course, is very relevant for common people.

With the voting deadline drawing into a close, let's look back at a little bit of voting history on one of the longest standing participants - Lithuania, whom has never missed an edition. Although some exact votes are hard to remember, especially since old me didn't put the early results files on a computer, but here we go.

Year 2013, our first ever edition: everything is scary and new, I decide to participate with a song that had jazzy vibes and I really enjoyed when I was younger. What I also really enjoyed was "Beautiful Tango" from Morocco, I remember enjoying United States, Denmark had an amazing video clip to accompany their song and Brazil had an amazing song as well. This is actually one of the editions that I surprisingly remember fairly well.

:MAR:USA:DEN:BRA

Year 2014 marks the only edition when Lithuania had two jury members with two very different opinions that hardly agreed on the song choice and on the votes, but mine were as follows: Ireland showed me an amazing song that I still perform to this day with a friend, I remember loving Great Britain and Brazil that secured my 2,3 places as well as Australia and Italy.

:IRL:GBR:BRA:AUS:ITA

As we can see, the top points only welcomed back Brazil that year.

Year 2014 the next edition of 2014 and possibly the best edition to date for me. 2014 Switzerland is as of yet my most favourite ever TISC song that I listen to very often to this day. An unknown song managed to beat two of my favourite songs from Great Britain and Ireland, as well as a wonderful batch of runner ups, that year was very difficult to me, but I remember it vividly. It was also the famous crash & burn Lithuanian entry, when I tried my luck with my own song, if I remember correctly, my day was made brighter by lovely Brazil (one of the users gave it 12 points, I think it was vinipereira)

:SUI:GBR:IRL:FRA:ITA:LAT:EST:MEX

This year also marks the only edition where all the Baltic nations were together and I remember being honestly surprised that I enjoyed both of my neighbours songs that much. Also, welcome back GB, IRL, ITA to my top points.

Year 2015 is the year where I proudly say "Welcome to the contest, Netherlands, may you never leave my top 12 ever again". I remember it being such a feel good song. Also, it was definitely the year of grower songs, as New Zealand, Argentina and Denmark made a very good impression on me and kept climbing up the ladder with every listen.

:NED:SWE:AZE:ITA:NZL:ARG:DEN

This is also the year where New Zealand really gets on my radar, Denmark is making an impression after a long absence, Sweden finally hitting my top 3 and Italy keeps impressing me for the 3rd year in a row with their song choices.

Year 2015 became very memorable. I remember I was really upset that day and I had a chat OlympicIRL and he said that perhaps the contest would cheer me up. Well, I honestly, never in a million years would have figured that Lithuania had a chance of winning this contest and probably with one of my all time favourite Lithuanian songs. Another funny story is that I distinctly remember that I gave Morocco 11 points and not 12, but as much as I tried to look for answers, I couldn't really remember to whom did my 12 points actually go to and this is the only year when I truly don't know what happened to my twelve points, but here are my favourites:

:MAR:USA:POR:GER:NZL:AUS:ESP

Morocco comes back into my heart with Hindi Zahra yet again. Also, USA comes back into my top points after a three edition absence. The first time that Portugal enters the contest and I loved their song, Australia coming back, New Zealand making a good impression yet again. This year also marks the disappearance of Sweden and the decline of Italy in my top 12's.

Year 2016 yet another wonderful year for TISC as I loved a lot of songs and it was very difficult to score the songs. Anyways, the amazing duet from Great Britain took the cake for me. It is also the year I was introduced to Alessia Cara and yet another year that I get to witness how much I'm in love with DiHaj music.

:GBR:CAN:AZE:CHI:INA:MEX:SLO:ALG

This is the year where we welcomed Indonesia into the contest and I enjoyed their entry, even though Canada has nearly always been in the points or close to them, this is the first time they get major points from me. Chile and Algeria surprise with very good entries. Even though there were points for Croatia, Serbia, Czech Republic in the past, this is the first time that Balkans really get into my higher points with the help of a nice Slovenian entry. Mexico is also a country that is always up there or close, but only the second time where they get some decent points. Also, it seems that UK hits the points more often than not.

Year 2016 continues and it's HOSTING TIME. I remember being nervous, I remember not having enough time and I remember a lot of things, though one of them was the amazing music. Two time's in the top 3 for USA, this time it was the 1st place, also The Netherlands that have nearly always made it into my points are high up again, another country that almost always impresses - Brazil is back in the high points as well. France and Denmark making a good impression after some time as well as Ireland that got points from us in nearly every competition, but not always the highest ones. Biggest surprise of the contest was the lovely entry from Turkey and first time I've awarded them points.

:USA:NED:FRA:BRA:DEN:IRL:TUR

Although they've been close many many times, this is the first time for North America to score 12 from me. It seems that it marks the start of the troubles for Europe to get my twelve points.

Year 2017 we're in England. My 12 points are stolen by some nice vocals and acoustic guitar from Indonesia. United States going in for the kill yet again. Big congratulations to Croatia, that previously got a point from me here & there, they get into my top 3, marking the best Balkan region song during the 8 editions. Portugal amazes once again, as well as New Zealand and Brazil with another wonderful entry.

:INA:USA:CRO:POR:NZL:BRA

I guess that now we're left wondering who is going to snag my top points in the second edition of 2017 here in Tunisia? Of course, I might have forgotten a special song for me here and there (heck, can't remember which song got 12 from me the year we've won). From the countries that haven't entered my top points, I wanted to mention Malta that has nearly always been in consideration for points during the years as well as Finland that often snuck through into my top twelve. And if I were to rank my all time favourite top 10, possibly this would be close to how it is right now.

1. Switzerland 2014 Bastian Baker

2. Ireland 2014 Little Green Cars

3. Morocco 2013 Hindi Zahra

4. The Netherlands 2015 Kensington

5. Great Britain 2016 Birdy & Rhodes

6. The Netherlands 2016 Ilse Delange

7. Indonesia 2017 Rendy Pandugo

8. Great Britain 2014 Paloma Faith

9. Great Britain 2014 Gary Barlow

10. Morocco 2015 Hindi Zahra / Portugal 2017 Branko

Edited by Werloc

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Already picked my number 1... but the other 14 (including 3 reserves) are hard to place.

Tomorrow I'll send the votes.

hace 10 horas, bestmen said:

it's 3:12 AM in tokyo and you stay awake

is it the sake? :lol:

lol it was just saturday night ...and there is a typhoon outside :lol:
So that means sleeping late on sunday cause there is nothing better to do

6 hours ago, dcro said:

@heywoodu

Written reminders for everyone. :d

Thank you, I am going to do my utmost best to make some time for it tomorrow (Monday) :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!