website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2017

13 horas atrás, OlympicsFan disse:

That might be true, but when i decided to participate, i also decided that i will only consider german-language songs. If everyone picks english songs, this competition makes no sense in my opinion.

I also could have picked songs by Robin Schulz, Felix Jaehn, Zedd and so on ... but then this competition comes just down to "who wins" and i then i wouldnt be interested in it anymore, i think the aim should be to pick:

- lesser know artists from your home country that most foreign/non-german people would otherwise never hear of

- songs in the country's own language, because language is the key to understand other cultures and maybe some people will see that german can be a very nice-sounding language too

For example, this used to be one of my favorite songs when i was young and i still like it, but how exactly does it "represent" Germany? It could be from artists from any other country and you wouldn't hear the difference, so what is the point of entering it as a german song in a competition ... ?

I also could have picked this song, but it would have been the same problem ...

I totally agree with you, although I recognize that different people see different goals for this contest :)

I actually see this contest as a way of showing what I think are the best singers/bands/musicians from my country, in all different music genres. They might not be the most popular/winning choice, but if I get at least one person here that gets interested in portuguese music, I will have achieved my goal!

NZ votes are in. It was a see-saw who is gonna get 11 and 10 points. I like a lot both songs. Decided to award higher points to the song I heard for the first time here. The second one I already knew.

Good luck everyone :cheer:

Edited by Wanderer

On 19/10/2017 at 21:32, OlympicsFan said:

That might be true, but when i decided to participate, i also decided that i will only consider german-language songs. If everyone picks english songs, this competition makes no sense in my opinion.

I also could have picked songs by Robin Schulz, Felix Jaehn, Zedd and so on ... but then this competition comes just down to "who wins" and i then i wouldnt be interested in it anymore, i think the aim should be to pick:

- lesser know artists from your home country that most foreign/non-german people would otherwise never hear of

- songs in the country's own language, because language is the key to understand other cultures and maybe some people will see that german can be a very nice-sounding language too

For example, this used to be one of my favorite songs when i was young and i still like it, but how exactly does it "represent" Germany? It could be from artists from any other country and you wouldn't hear the difference, so what is the point of entering it as a german song in a competition ... ?

I've selected a Danish language song once (I believe). The problem for me is that most songs in our native language are very much songs that lose a lot of the meaning if you don't understand the language, while translations isn't quite good enough. Meanwhile I feel that Sort Sol (or other Danish artist writing songs in english represent Denmark just as much as those writing in Danish)

I completed the first listening, and it's a very mixed bag. One song is soooo getting the 12 points, it's incomparable to the others. Currently the second best song is not bad, but I don't think it would have got more than 2-3 points at some of the previous contests.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, Agger said:

I've selected a Danish language song once (I believe). The problem for me is that most songs in our native language are very much songs that lose a lot of the meaning if you don't understand the language, while translations isn't quite good enough. Meanwhile I feel that Sort Sol (or other Danish artist writing songs in english represent Denmark just as much as those writing in Danish)

I think the same about many of our songs.

Edited by konig